Norns audio output crackling (when using Awake)

Hello, first time Norns owner here, and literally only turned it on tonight. Thought I would try Awake to get used to things and I’m getting a strange crackling when using headphones - is this normal, or is there an easy way to rectify this? It’s a Shield if that is useful.

Thank you!

1 Like

congrats on the norns!

can you record the crackling using the internal tape function?

how about an external recording device?

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! Just checked the recording and there is nothing on the recording, so guessing it’s the headphone out?

1 Like

Trying turning off the wi-fi. I find this is the most common source of noise on my shield. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip - will try this :smile:

1 Like

Hey, I had the same issue especially when I had it connected to wi-fi. Figured out the main culprit was a top right screw at the bottom panel. I reckon it had something to do with the boards sticking or the usb ports sticking to the wifi antenna on the rasPi 4. I removed the screw and it seemed to work! Try it and let us know :slight_smile:

I suppose it could be a power delivery issue (under-powered). How are you providing it with power?

This is also worth taking a look at:

1 Like

Ah ha will give this a go too. Thank you!

I have a usb c to usb which is connected to a plug which is in a wall socket so assume this is sufficient, but seeing as I only got it yesterday I could be wribg

If you’re using the little phone charger-esque wall adapters, that is the cause of your woes. They’re usually rated for an absolute max of 2A at 5v exactly. You need 5.1v at 2.5 to 3A of power.

From the Norns Shield page:

Power supply - We highly suggest the official power supply for your model of Raspberry Pi. The Pi3B has a micro-USB power port and requires at least 2A and 5.25V ideally supplied through a cable with 24AWG or less. The Pi4 has a USB-C power port and 3A / 5.1V is recommended. Lower AWG = lower noise & more stable voltage delivery for better performance. Most consumer USB cables do not meet this spec, so please be sure to keep an eye out. You can also use a portable USB battery if it’s sufficiently large.

Ah ha interesting. The unit only came with a US Pi adaptor so that’s why I had to use an Apple plug but will look into getting an official one. Thank you!

If your Shield uses a Pi4 (usb C):

If your Shield uses a Pi3:

Yep, just ordered this morning :slight_smile: Thank you!

1 Like

Excellent. Let me know how you get on when it arrives!

will do! Thank you again!