Norns Charging Issue

Hey all. I haven’t touched my norns in awhile. I pulled it out today but I can’t get it to charge. It powers on, so I know the battery is at least holding some kind of charge. On screen is says I have about 11% power. When connect a cable to the official norns wall wart sometimes I see “!!!” next to the 11%. Sometimes not. I’ve tried several cables and even different USB-A wall warts. I can’t remember if the back light is supposed to come on when it’s charging. If so, that doesn’t happen either.

I sent it in to Monome relatively recently to get the encoders fixed. Any chance it came back with a different board where the USB port isn’t soldered correctly? Any other suggestions people can think of? I’d really like to get it working again.

sorry to hear about the trouble!

i’m curious, if you disconnect the battery following the disassembly steps shown in this video, does the board power up just using the charger? be sure to disconnect the battery from the board with caution, in a gentle rocking motion as you pull. if it powers fine, that would indicate that the battery has simply failed.

we don’t often swap boards for encoder troubles unless its a brand new unit, which we send back to our assembler for RMA.

feel free to email us at help@monome.org for further assistance!

1 Like

Ha! I was just typing that I tried that! Unplugging the battery and connecting the power to the wall wart, the board does power up. So I guess it is an issue with the battery. I saw a few other threads about alternate batteries. Is it recommended that I just get a new one at this point?

Also, thanks for such a quick reply!

Also, can you please remind me if the light on the back is supposed to come on while it’s charging?

oh rad, glad it was an easy diagnosis!

for sure – options here: help | monome/docs

if the unit is powered off, there’s no indication of charging status, no. if powered on, you can hit K2 on the SELECT / SYSTEM / SLEEP screen to see the power stats. if mA is positive or 0, its charging – negative means draining.

Awesome! I emailed in also. Feel free to ignore that!

Thanks so much for your help!

1 Like

Oh my god. I’m an idiot! :man_facepalming: I’m going to admit to this here to hopefully save someone else the embarrassment.

The “11%” I was talking about was at the top of the screen. Now that I’m looking again I see the “xxxmA @ 100%” at the bottom. So my battery is 100% charged. I guess the 11% is CPU load? Anyway. Hopefully this can save someone else some time in the future.

By the way, what does the “!!!” next to the CPU load indicate? I searched through the documentation but didn’t find anything.

3 Likes

oh, so glad to hear it’s all worked itself out!! no worries, happy to rubber duck with ya :slight_smile:

!!! means the system is experiencing audio xruns, which currently happens with every script boot and should fade away while monitored, unless the script is experiencing glitches – more general info here and more technical info here.

didn’t realize it wasn’t in the docs – i’ll be sure to get it in there this week!

3 Likes

if it makes you feel any better, I made this exact mistake two weeks ago

3 Likes