a gathering— a group study where participants each create a script according to a prompt. scripts are submitted by an established deadline. discussion and help will be provided to facilitate completion of scripts.
upon completion we will release the pack of scripts as a collection along a bandcamp compilation of captures from each script. see the collected past gatherings.
we’ll be here throughout the process to assist everyone in getting scripts working. please ask questions— this is an ideal time to learn.
future prompts will have different parameters. don’t go overboard building out your script with extra functionality— try to stay close to the prompt.
(norns/circle/02) rhythm and sound
build a rhythmic, generative sound machine using provided tonal and percussive samples. provide your own textural/field/environmental audio clip to color your creation.
- 3 samples (two are provided (one tonal, one percussive), you provide a textural sample)
- 3 voices (keywords: clouded, sharp, clear)
- 3 clocks per voice which modify playback quality (keywords: location, elevation, presence)
- no USB controllers, no audio input, no engines
- E1 volume
- E2 velocity (overall tempo)
- E3 regularity (simple rhythm vs. complex rhythm)
- K2 shuffle
- K3 draw
- visual accompaniment (keywords: data collection, rewritten history, cultural amnesia)
parameters are subject to interpretation. “elevation” could mean playback speed. “shuffle” could mean preserve rhythm and change parameter mappings. “draw” could mean progress to a new sequence, or randomize a quality, emerging something new.
- your included sound clip should be 10 seconds maximum
- feel free to use additional softcut voices for sonic embellishment, but keep it focused
- think both about short and long time: short syncopation, phrase-length modulation, microsound, breath
deadline: june 1
- submit your script by submitting a PR to github: https://github.com/monome-community/nc02-rs (we will help with instructions when the time comes, or feel free to submit early)
- record 2-6 minutes of the output of your script using TAPE. feel free to use the built-in reverb. upload to google drive, dropbox, etc. post link on thread.
to get started, go to maiden’s project manager, refresh the collection, and install
nc02-rs. note, this will take some time to download as it includes some audio files.
if you need a hint getting started, check out
please post progress reports and early captures!
livestream this friday at 3pm EST!
we’ll make some sounds using the new clock system and show how things fit together. twitch link will be posted ahead of the stream.