Norns.community

Overall this is huge! Thanks for doing this. It will make it so much easier to find fun things to do with norns.

Speaking of huge, that’s my main issue with the header typography. On a 30 inch display with a maximized browser window those pixelated block letters are huge and hard to read. I’m sure it looks great on a phone or laptop display, but that font just doesn’t work blown up so large (IMHO of course).

2 Likes

I can’t help but remember the first announcement of norns and dreaming up not what the little box could do, but what the community could do with the little box.

what has happened since has surpassed anything I could have imagined. having it all in one place, navigable and explorable, is really magical.

thanks to everyone involved for the focus and effort you’ve gifted to all of us.

11 Likes

20 characters of wow!

3 Likes

Just to chime in my thanks too for this fantastic resource. As so often, I’m wowed by the skills of the folk in this community.

4 Likes

This is a very helpful service! I have one critique: The tag “art” feels rough as many scripts have an definite artistic quality to them. The tag builds an unnecessary divided and tention between “art-like scrips” and the rest (which become utility- or instrument-like in the process). I definitely enjoy scripts like “The arp index” the same manner as I enjoy art thou. But I enjoy the blur where it’s not clear if something is sound art, utility or an instrument.

1 Like

I agree that 99.9% of scripts produced have a strong “art” quality.

Naming is hard.

You can see the art category for scripts “all about art” as opposed to the others which are “art+musical instrument”.

It got created for scripts that felt like standalone poems that would almost recite themselves as opposed to other scripts that you’d play like a musical instrument.

We had in mind scripts like those from norns/circle/01 & norns/circle/02 or grd.

It feels way better than naming this category misc or others.

3 Likes

How about “visual” or even “film”? These seem (edit: maybe a bit) more like tiny movies than musical instruments, although I don’t have a norns yet, so it’s speculative…

1 Like

Some also make sound and provide some sort of interactivity, but not in a traditional “instrument” way. They often provide a whole experiences.

So that would be restrictive.

An aim is also to not have a gazillion categories, and as a result have them broad enough.

Nevertheless, those are encouraged to be reconsidered on a regular basis as time goes by.

2 Likes

‘Arts’ might suggest art as the subject, rather than a work of art and isn’t discipline related.

In any case really in awe of this huge piece of work, much warmth and appreciation to those behind it.

3 Likes

I’m not sure what’s the purpose of categorising scripts.

I’d be happy with just a big ol’ list - similar to available scripts in maiden's project manager - which defaults to alphabetical A-Z and could be sorted Z-A, maybe by date (latest first or latest last) and possibly by creator (although that would rather depend on knowing the @-name of the person).

As long as there’s a clear and concise summary of what the script does, and another column of the hardware requirements (necessary/optional), I think I’d be happy with that.

4 Likes

And so many scripts have crossover application.

Altho when I clicked on the drum option last night (I think, coulda been this morning), not all drum scripts came up.

1 Like

True. Scripts can belong to multiple categories.

A bit less than half of all existing scripts are on http://norns.community as of writing.

Everyone willing is encouraged to contribute to eventually have 100% coverage.

2 Likes

I meant of the ones already on the community page… for example, if click on the drum tab, bakeneko doesnt come up, nor cyrene or foulplay.

1 Like

Ah, yes, sorry, I didn’t understand this was concerning scripts already there.

Good catch.

I added the drums tag to them, they should now appear in the corresponding category.

3 Likes

Does this mean I have helped slightly? Yay! :slight_smile:

Should b-b-b-b-beat have a drum tag too? I’ve only been a Norns user for a few weeks so I’m still not that familiar with many scripts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome! Is it possible to enable “open in new tab”? Or cmd+click. I like to open a bunch of scripts in new tabs to see them later and scroll through the page :v:

4 Likes

yea i’ll look into that!

edit: scripts can now “open in new tab” and we have new featured images

4 Likes

i am loving the new featured image and styling! great job :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Moch thanks! Really useful that is :star_struck:

1 Like

Yes to the new header images. I withdraw my concern about the typography being too large. Looks great and is readable on my 30" display now! :slight_smile:

1 Like