Norns: defect encoders

unfortunately some units in the earliest batch had bad encoders soldered on. i’ve been replacing them by hand when issues show up. this is a maybe-fail over time, so there’s a pretty strong chance that even though i fixed one of your encoders, another failed. i’m happy to get the unit fixed (at my expense) and apologize for the trouble. e-mail info@monome.org

the currently released update also has not-great acceleration code, which is fixed in the upcoming update, so generally everything will feel better. but this will not fix a sad encoder.

little test script forthcoming to help you identify a defect.

Approaching: norns

This makes me feel better- I thought I was the only one who hasn’t been getting on with the encoders, just assumed maybe that’s how they were and that others didn’t mind much, but mine definitely have the issue with acceleration and glitchy moving odd directions, especially when turned quickly. Getting these fixed would be awesome- will be in touch. :blue_heart:

I have the same problem as well and also took it as it was just how they behaved

Same here, mostly the 3d encoder. Shall I wait for the new firmware?

Unfortunately, my 3rd encoder also buggy

I’ve got the same issue as everyone above. Can’t remember if 2nd or 3rd is worse.

Same issue on the 2nd and 3rd Encoder of my norns.

I suspect it’s only noticeable based on what the encoder is mapped to. I can replicate the issue with any encoder, just depends on whether it’s a precision operation or not whether I notice

i’ll get together a little test script so we all can confirm possible defect encoders. i’m very sorry for the trouble and will get everything fixed.