Norns error: SuperCollider fail

for future travelers

the situation covered in this thread was related to a physical board failure – you don’t need to completely wipe your norns if you experience a supercollider fail.

especially if you’re developing engines or doing a lot of norns scripting, there’s a good chance you’ll run into supercollider fail eventually – it’s a normal part of the dev process and doesn’t require a nuke to resolve. if the first three bullets in this section of the docs don’t help, then connect to norns from another computer via ssh and execute:

• killall sclang
    then:
  • sclang

you’ll see a full log of supercollider’s boot process (including what goes wrong, if anything) + should have enough breadcrumbs from there to identify where things are getting wonky.

if you need help identifying, feel free to post the output of the above to this thread, the norns study group discord, or email help@monome.org and folks will be happy to assist!

original text

Hello, yesterday my Norns(stock) woke up with ‘supercollider fail’ printed on the screen, i wasn’t able to load any script, so today i updated to the latest Norns firmware 210607 just to see if something would change for the better, instead i’ve done worst, the update process went good, but after powercycle the screen remains dark, no sign of life other than the LED pattern from white to orange.

Help, any advice?

2 Likes

hi @lleicamun , sorry to hear about the trouble!

when you power your norns on, are you able to connect to it via maiden? if so, that’s a good sign! i’d recommend backing up your data using this method and performing a clean install. 3:40 and onward in this video shows a demonstration of this process.

once you complete the clean install, your norns should be back up and running. please try running the update from this state, then you can migrate your backup. if your norns does not power back on after the clean install, please email help@monome.org to arrange service :slight_smile:

Hey Dan, thanks for the help, Maiden it’s open (no matron or supercollider of course connected), i’m doing the back up right now, then i’ll go with the clean install and ultimately the update… i’ll let you know what will happens, thanks again

1 Like

Hey @dan_derks i feel dumb , but i’m not able to find the norns image file to put on etcher… where it’s hiding? i have to find a file named something like that: norns210607.img?

I believe this is what you’re looking for: help | monome/docs

1 Like

no worries! we have not released a full image since december 2020, but that’ll work if you run standard update after. here’s the stock norns image: https://github.com/monome/norns-image/releases/download/201202/norns201202.img.zip

Oh ok, thanks @dan_derks & @zbs !

2 Likes

Clean install done, Norns is running, but same Supercollider fail error on the screen, i’ve updated with the last firm but once the update was done and norns told me ‘press any key…’ instead of powering down, it told me once again ‘new update available’ and now it’s stuck on ‘preparing’ …

Edit: i’ve pushed the bottom reset, because it was stuck and k1+k2+k3 didn’t worked, now norns is black screen again like before the clean install procedure…

sorry to hear about the troubles. it might be good to tackle one at a time, as they’re now sorta compounding — the SC error and then running an update on top of that, you know?

id like to solve this one first, before trying an update:

if this occurs after a clean flash and you can connect to maiden, it should print what is happening when this failure occurs — if you’re able, could you please check the supercollider tab as well as matron and post what’s happening there?

(fwiw, a repeated SC failure on a clean install could also point to hardware issues — we’re happy to arrange very reasonable service thru help@monome.org)

(@tehn super good reminder that we also gotta get that new image wrapped up this week — so many post-grid-launch tasks! :sweat_smile: )

After the clean install i was able to connect to matron, but not on SC, matron said something but it kind crashed at some point disconnecting from matron before i could copy…
I can do another clean install process again to see if i can post something about matron?

To be clear, that’s the board you sent me for replacing the jumpy encoders one (i’m Valerio from Rome :slight_smile: ) and if you remember the first time i mounted it behaved strangely, but then it worked, maybe it’s something in the hardware as you said.

this would be rad, yes! thank you :slight_smile:

if you cannot get a good boot after clean flashing, we’ll have you’d send the unit in for full diagnosis + repair :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Dan after a new clean install, same SC fail.
That’s what Matron says at startup:

script clear

ERROR (i2c/hp) failed to write

norns.startup_status.timeout

SCRIPT ERROR: SUPERCOLLIDER FAIL

closing the public loop: going to take this off-forum and into email

1 Like

for future travelers: the situation covered in this thread was related to a physical board failure – you don’t need to completely wipe your norns if you experience a supercollider fail.

especially if you’re developing engines or doing a lot of norns scripting, there’s a good chance you’ll run into supercollider fail eventually – it’s a normal part of the dev process and doesn’t require a nuke to resolve. if the first three bullets in this section of the docs don’t help, then connect to norns from another computer via ssh and execute:

• killall sclang
    then:
  • sclang

you’ll see a full log of supercollider’s boot process (including what goes wrong, if anything) + should have enough breadcrumbs from there to identify where things are getting wonky.

if you need help identifying, feel free to post the output of the above to this thread, the norns study group discord, or email help@monome.org and folks will be happy to assist!

3 Likes

suggest killall sclang before rerunning just to be sure

3 Likes

I had that fail as well – first install - no error - then update over system menu - supercollider fail. I was really worried … then I chose reset from system menu and it was gone.

Hi Everyone. Just installed Oomph and all went crazy. First the shield stayed frozen on restart command. I had to eventually pull the plug. Then I had an engine error. I followed the ;restart in matron and then got a supercollider fail error. Tried ;restart in supercollider but no luck :

compiling class library…

Found 738 primitives.

Compiling directory ‘/usr/local/share/SuperCollider/SCClassLibrary’

Compiling directory ‘/usr/local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions’

Compiling directory ‘/home/we/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions’

ERROR: duplicate Class found: ‘MiClouds’

/home/we/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/MiClouds/MiClouds.sc

/home/we/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/mi-UGens/Classes/MiClouds.sc

ERROR: duplicate Class found: ‘MiRings’

/home/we/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/MiRings/MiRings.sc

/home/we/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/mi-UGens/Classes/MiRings.sc

ERROR: duplicate Class found: ‘MiElements’

/home/we/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/MiElements/MiElements.sc

/home/we/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/mi-UGens/Classes/MiElements.sc

ERROR: duplicate Class found: ‘MiPlaits’

/home/we/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/MiPlaits/MiPlaits.sc

/home/we/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/mi-UGens/Classes/MiPlaits.sc

ERROR: duplicate Class found: ‘MiMu’

/home/we/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/MiMu/MiMu.sc

/home/we/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/mi-UGens/Classes/MiMu.sc

ERROR: duplicate Class found: ‘MiVerb’

/home/we/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/MiVerb/MiVerb.sc

/home/we/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/mi-UGens/Classes/MiVerb.sc

Compiling directory ‘/home/we/norns/sc/core’

Compiling directory ‘/home/we/norns/sc/engines’

Compiling directory ‘/home/we/dust’

ERROR: There is a discrepancy.

numClassDeps 1648 gNumClasses 3284

Do I just wipe the Norns and start from scratch again??

font setup OK.

font setup OK.

*** WARNING *** The program ‘matron’ uses the Apple Bonjour compatibility layer of Avahi.

*** WARNING *** The program ‘matron’ uses the Apple Bonjour compatibility layer of Avahi.

*** WARNING *** Please fix your application to use the native API of Avahi!

*** WARNING *** For more information see http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/avahi-compat.html

*** WARNING *** Please fix your application to use the native API of Avahi!

*** WARNING *** For more information see http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/avahi-compat.html

Cannot lock down 107350048 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)

Cannot lock down 107350048 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)

init oracle…

init oracle…

OSC rx port: 8888

OSC crone port: 9999

OSC ext port: 57120

OSC remote port: 10111

OSC rx port: 8888

OSC crone port: 9999

OSC ext port: 57120

OSC remote port: 10111

init weaver…

starting main lua vm

init weaver…

starting main lua vm

running lua config file: dofile(’/home/we/norns/lua/core/config.lua’)

running lua config file: dofile(’/home/we/norns/lua/core/config.lua’)

MATRON

norns version: 0.0.0

git hash: be508b1

platform: 3

MATRON

norns version: 0.0.0

git hash: be508b1

platform: 3

init dev_monitor…

init dev_monitor…

setting cleanup…

init input…

running startup…

setting cleanup…

init input…

running startup…

error loading keyboard layout, using old value: us

error loading keyboard layout, using old value: us

start_audio():

start_audio():

scanning devices…

scanning devices…

handling pending events…

handling pending events…

_norns.midi.add: 1, virtual, userdata: 0x3fae28

_norns.midi.add: 1, virtual, userdata: 0x3fae28

running post-startup…

running post-startup…

_norns._post_startup

_norns._post_startup

script clear

script clear

looks like you’ve installed the mutable instruments sc ports twice.

running this should fix it:

os.execute("rm -rf /home/we/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/mi-UGens")

the second install step of oomph actually tries checking for the duplicate Supercollider classes but the way that it checks missed the way that it is installed on yours already. for my own data, could you tell me how you installed miUgens ?

Hi. I just did a disk image and it all seems to work so far. Not tried to re install Ooomph yet…

I knew I should have been patient and it would probably get sorted out, but it just stressed me out too much so I went ahead.

Also, I have no idea what miUgens is i’m afraid…