norns/habitus workshop at monome [sept 24-25 2022]

o dear ones!

we (dan derks and jonathan snyder) are tickled beyond belief to announce norns/habitus, monome’s first in-person workshop at luck dragon in delhi, ny, september 24th and 25th.

come join us to explore field recording and coding with norns. we will develop new habits of coding and musical practice through experimentation, research, community engagement, and the exercise of daydreams.

visit the luck dragon site to find additional details (costs, signup, schedule, travel planning, etc.). there will also be a performance from both of us on september 24th – more details here.

let us know if you have any questions, here on this thread or by contacting help@monome.org.

see you in september!

<3<3<3<3<3<3

dan and jonathan

69 Likes

YES!!!

I am so fucking excited for this and all future luck dragon things!

I’ll see you all there <3

4 Likes

That’s fantastic. If it goes well, would you maybe possibly do one in portland?

12 Likes

#bringdanderkstoportland

17 Likes

Just registered! I’m not the best coder but won’t drag anyone down, I promise :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This looks fun and within driving distance (4.5hr), but unfortunately I sold my shield in hopes of nabbing a standard norns and did not luck out. :frowning:

3 Likes

just registered! I don’t drive, though. Regional rail and the trailways bus should get me there from Philly and back just fine, but it just occurred to me that getting from lodging to luck dragon could potentially present a problem. Anyone who drives wanna chat about maybe splitting some lodging and driving over together Sat/Sun? Or maybe there’s a rental available within walking distance?

4 Likes

Now how do we lure you guys to cross the big pond and do something like this over here in the “Old World”…?

10 Likes

This sounds wonderful and amazing; can’t make it this year unfortunately, so here’s to hoping there are more of these in the future!

6 Likes

:heavy_plus_sign: :infinity:

(…afterall, isn’t there supposed to be a east coast synthesis and a west coast synthesis?)

in any case, @jaseknighter + @dan_derks could not be a better workshop combo. I look forward to the inspiring creations that emerge

10 Likes

I think adding @infinitedigits to a west coast lineup would be even better.

9 Likes

I hope you will consider offering this kind of event periodically in the future.

I will be just receiving my norns around this date, and would like to be able to achieve at least an intermediate level of understanding before participating in something like this.

But it’s definitely right up my alley for a future experience!

Also, I would be happy to help if you ever want to bring this to the Boston area :sunglasses:

5 Likes

dang, such warm and vibrant energy here – thank you all for your enthusiasm and super stoked to see some registrations come in already! daydreaming with @jaseknighter on the outline has been a sincere honor and i’m really looking forward to hanging with y’all <3

we will absolutely be holding more workshops at luck dragon – more details will follow :sparkles:

re: other locations, one of the goals for luck dragon is to have a central meeting space for our community, in the same zone as monome’s day-to-day operations, where we can gather and share and learn from one another. i could easily see this curriculum (and its delivery) adapting to additional iterations and locations, though! i’ll chat with j about it :hugs:

in the meantime, if folks are in need of lodging in the walkable area around luck dragon, please hit us up at help@monome.org

14 Likes

this sounds wonderful! thinking through things, trying to see if i’ll be able to make it. :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

can’t make this one but wanting to echo a want for more of these in the future! i love this idea so much.

5 Likes

just reserved a space. looking forward to seeing some norns folk irl :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Looks like I was too slow and it’s all sold out!

oh! there are 3 spots still open! if you’re having any trouble with the fulfillment through luck dragon then shoot an email over to help@monome.org and we’ll get ya registered :slight_smile:

3 Likes

ah great! I went through the form again and this time it worked :smiley:

4 Likes

super awesome! looking forward to meeting you in person. :heart:

3 Likes