Norns: help

it is possible, so something is misconfigured with your android setup, or your user/pass is wrong, or your IP address is wrong.

just tested using termux on my android phone

(never done this before, pretty cool?)

1 Like

I need the IP address? That might explain it. I was attempting to login to norns.local.

ping norns.local comes back fine though…

EDIT: IP address worked a charm. Thanks.

1 Like

How can I prevent norms screen from dimming after a few minutes of inactivity? I am mainly using a midi controller rather than the Norns encoders and I would like the screen to stay lit. Thanks.

call screen.ping() from your midi handler(s)

1 Like
# script load: /home/we/dust/code/less_concepts/less_concepts.lua

# cleanup

# script clear

including /home/we/dust/code/less_concepts/lib/beatclock-crow.lua

### MISSING INCLUDE: passersby/lib/passersby_engine

### SCRIPT ERROR: load fail

/home/we/dust/code/less_concepts/less_concepts.lua:117: MISSING INCLUDE: passersby/lib/passersby_engine

stack traceback:

/home/we/norns/lua/core/norns.lua:215: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/norns.lua:215>

[C]: in function 'error'

/home/we/norns/lua/core/startup.lua:46: in function 'include'

/home/we/dust/code/less_concepts/less_concepts.lua:117: in main chunk

[C]: in function 'dofile'

/home/we/norns/lua/core/script.lua:149: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/script.lua:149>

[C]: in function 'xpcall'

/home/we/norns/lua/core/norns.lua:216: in field 'try'

/home/we/norns/lua/core/script.lua:149: in function 'core/script.load'

/home/we/norns/lua/core/menu.lua:439: in field 'key'

/home/we/norns/lua/core/menu.lua:177: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/menu.lua:154>

# script clear

i’m getting a load fail when trying to load a few scripts on my fates. anyone know what the issue could be? also apologies if this is something that’s already been discussed i’m new to the norns platform…thanks

this is the big tipoff – you need to install the passersby engine from maiden’s project manager :slight_smile:. it’s the synthesis engine powering less concepts

1 Like

thanks Dan, excuse my greeness…i’m in maidens project manager but don’t see anything relating to a passersby engine:/

ahhh i see passersby is a script which is what i suspected nvrmnd

in maiden, go to the library section (stack of books icon), then click the available tab. Scroll a bit and you’ll see passerby. Then click install.

You will need to do SYSTEM>RESET from the norns menu after installing.

4 Likes

just did the update and all i get is a blinking light on the back

can you try re-running the update manually? instructions here: https://monome.org/docs/norns/help/#manual--offline-update-

or check if you can still connect to maiden and i can provide further debugging.

i tried connecting to maiden with no luck, i tried doing a manual update but when i do the screen command it gets stuck at the blank terminal screen. might have to pull the card and flash. should i use the os listed in the instructions? its an older 1.9 or 1.8?

pressing enter doesn’t get you anywhere in terminal?

here’s the fresh install instructions: https://monome.org/docs/norns/help/#fresh-install

the listed image is good. you can run UPGRADE after this to get all the way up to date.

ok so i did a fresh install. everything worked. did the update. after it updated i rebooted. its doing the same thing as before, after updating. am i totally missing something here?

does it say it’s trying to install 191201? and all the steps go seemingly well? i did exactly this process (with that same fresh install) twice last night successfully.

still no luck logging in with serial? or maiden?

i’m sorry to do a retry, but can you run the update with maiden open?

can do!
yeah it says “completed” or whatever comes up. then i reboot it by pressing the reset button

ok i didnt really do anything differently other than press a button instead of resetting it and it seems to be working

Were you using the button on the bottom of norns to reset?

1 Like

20 characters of yes

1 Like

But I feel like I did that with a few updates without issue

That button is more of a last-ditch effort/emergency shutdown sort of thing. It just cuts power to norns, instead of shutting down gracefully. :slight_smile: which can lead to all sorts of problems.

Any time you see restart/reset/power-off, etc… for norns, it means use the sleep option in the menu.

1 Like