Norns: help

norns

Just threw a wall of MIDI at Earthsea via Grid and external MIDI device simultaneously.

With WiFI on: crash almost immediately
With WiFI on then restarting norns from command line: no crash
With no WiFI: no crash

@jasonloeffler you’re absolutely experiencing the wifi bug. and i’ve just made a fix for it (menu item for restarting the audio engine)

@NiC i’ve seen some off-by-one playhead LED issues in the past, i’ll check it out. the crash however shouldn’t happen in wifi hotspot mode. arc isn’t yet compatible with norns, and as a rule of thumb i’d leave OFF any wifi/hostpot if you’re not actively using it (it just eats power).

Agreed. Thanks for taking care of this issue.

unrelated? wifi issue: my home password has spaces and a # sign in it (also pretty long, 20+ chars). norns won’t connect. error messages are intermittent, “failed password” and “failed” on all usb ports. and i confirmed for all combinations of error message that it never actually connects when it says “failed” for me.

just had a chance to try it at work with a more lax password and it works as expected.

i know wifi is being reworked but from what i could find here and on git, the special password character issues were supposedly resolved.

still trying to figure out git but if it’s still unresolved by the time i get up to speed i will open an issue.

Wish I had better news to report. Just ran mlr with 3 tracks unattended here for about 20 minutes, resulting in a crash. The wifi card was not connected.

@tehn More MLR crash data points for me (if helpful): WiFi not running; OP-1 sending audio in for cutting/etc.; walnut 128 varibright grid attached (I realize that Norns isn’t made necessarily to work with these older grids…but until the new ones come available in Oct here we are :smile:).

And replicated again just now.

@jasonloeffler thanks for the data points. will get this update ready for testing tomorrow.

@benjamindauer actually the 2012 walnut grid is 100% perfect for norns! it’s completely compatible with the new editions.

Well then…this reply just made my night. Here I thought maybe the old walnut beauty might have played a role in MLR crashing. Thanks for the clarification!

Sorry mate, I think you’ll have to move. Norns is… demanding

Actual help: I’ve only ever charged mine off of usb and it works like a charm.

@jasonloeffler could you test reducing the voice count in mlr? it requires two changes:

set line 38 of dust/scripts/tehn/mlr.lua to 4: https://github.com/monome/dust/blob/master/scripts/tehn/mlr.lua#L38

also set line 3 of dust/lib/sc/Engine_SoftCut.sc to 4: https://github.com/monome/dust/blob/master/lib/sc/Engine_SoftCut.sc#L3

restart crone/matron and let me know.

You bet. Give me a few minutes.

No dice.

Editing scripts as directed, restarted application server.

Started mlr session; sampled three short segments; played for a bit; crashed after 10-15 minutes.

I was able to replicate this behavior twice.

Log files sent to info@monome.org.

Anyone successfully use the MIDI learn function together with a device that has endless encoders (i.e. Digitakt, Beatstep, Faderfox UC4, et al.)? I’ve attempted all three with no luck.

HOWTO MIDI CC MAP:

enter PARAMETERS page
HOLD KEY1 (ALT VIEW)
use ENC2 to scroll position
use ENC3 to toggle midi-cc mapping to on
release KEY1
now the param list shows cc assignments
use ENC3 to manually set cc’s
use KEY3 to toggle MIDI LEARN (tweak a value after to assign)
all assignments are saved/loaded per script automatically
(this info needs to get into the docs, reminder to self)

endless encoders are currently not supported if the device doesn’t have its own accumulation (whereupon it outputs values 0-127, not deltas). this is a feature i’ll be adding soon. (ref: https://github.com/monome/norns/issues/560 )

@jasonloeffler and just to confirm, this crashed with wifi off?

Yes, that is correct: wifi off, no network connection.

got it. trying to figure out the logs you sent. have my own mlr running for 10 minutes now, hoping i can replicate.

Had a few minutes, so replicated again here. Took a stab at strace’ing the process but have a lot to learn about the environment. Afraid I can’t contribute much else except being a squeaky wheel.

ok, let me also confirm: no midi connected?

i’ve been running for 26+ minutes, no problems. all four tracks, lots of pattern mushing.

i’m also not seeing anything particularly special in the logs you sent. when it crashes, does the UI lock up entirely? do you get an audio stutter? trying to understand what part is crashing.

one way to gather more information: log in via serial (connect norns power to laptop USB port) and use screen (see other access at https://monome.org/docs/norns )

once there’s a crash you can look around. check ps -axf and you should see something like this:

Summary
  316 ?        SLsl   0:01 /usr/bin/jackd -R -P 95 -d alsa -d hw:0 -r 48000 -n 3
  317 ?        Ssl    0:00 /home/we/norns/build/ws-wrapper/ws-wrapper ws://*:555
  344 ?        Sl     0:04  \_ /usr/bin/sclang -i maiden
  414 ?        SLl    0:04      \_ supernova -u 57110 -a 1024 -i 2 -o 2 -b 1026
  352 ?        Ss     0:00 /bin/login --
  447 ttyAMA0  S      0:00  \_ -bash
  464 ttyAMA0  R+     0:00      \_ ps axf
  353 tty1     Ss+    0:00 /sbin/agetty --noclear tty1 linux
  355 ?        Ssl    0:00 /home/we/norns/build/ws-wrapper/ws-wrapper ws://*:555
  357 ?        Sl     0:00  \_ /home/we/norns/build/matron/matron
  402 ?        Z      0:00      \_ [sh] <defunct>
  356 ?        Ssl    0:00 /home/we/maiden/maiden.arm -fd 3 -app ./app/build -da
  383 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/sshd -D
  438 ?        Ss     0:00 /lib/systemd/systemd --user
  442 ?        S      0:00  \_ (sd-pam)