Norns: help

norns

@spinos it would be very perplexing for that wifi nub to not “just work”. did you boot norns with the nub inserted? have you connected via serial before? (i could walk you through some further debugging). or depending on where you are, i can just send a replacement wifi nub (it’ll take awhile if not in the US).

@tehn yeah I booted Norns with the nub inserted. I’ve connected via serial before and could try debugging it that way if you tell me how. I’m in LA but I can try debugging before you send a replacement since it should work, thank you though

good first start would be to serial in and type lsusb for the wifi chipset. mine says:

we@norns:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04b4:6570 Cypress Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Is it possible to connect midi out from Norns to Ansible using a standard usb cable? or do i need a hub between - like an iconnectmidi2+?

Ansible and Norns expect to be USB hosts so you’d need something like the iconnectmidi2+ which can bridge between two hosts.

ok thanks, i’ll give it a go.

I tried with an iconnectmidi2+. There is midi info lights going through the iconnect ok, but nothing being picked up on Ansible side.

we’ve been using this with Organelle
http://compasflamenco.com/midi-c-3/midi-usbusb-p-4.html

its really cheap, 39 euro, and fast delivery in europe.(not sure about US delivery)

just a guess, iconnect thing could be acting as a hub, which ansible/TT doesn’t support (but norns should)

USB MIDI-USB thing on the other hand claims to be simply a class-compliant device on both ends

Just a quick question because I’m not at home and I’m pondering taking Norns at a gig next Saturday: does Norns remember midi controller assignments between power-offs and when switching scripts?

yes. midi assignments are stored per script.

I want to get home right now and try it NOW. Thank you. :slight_smile:

One thing I haven’t understood is how to control cc with a different midi controller than the one I use for inputting notes (in my case: qunexus for notes, nanokontrol for cc). Can anyone ELI5? :smiley:

hello! testing out the latest update on norns, noticed that kayan is very very quiet… tried to adjust the volume in the systems audio menu as well as the mixer screen but no luck. wondered if there was something in the new update which broke the scene?

I think I noticed the low volume in the previous release too, if it helps!

@instantjuggler @AlessandroBonino

it has been pretty quiet for me since i got norns. i actually changed the range of the amp in maiden:

cs.AMP = cs.new(0,1,‘lin’,0,0.5,’’)

i don’t know enough about sc to know what the actual range is supposed to be but i think i changed the 1 to like 2.5 and it didn’t seem to distort, just got closer in volume to other scripts

Hello everyone,
I’m an outsider of the monome ecosystem as I tend not to work with lots of gears, just a midi controller here and there, so to focus my attention span on few -mainly virtual- synths, fx chains, instruments and so on.
But as soon as I saw Norns in action something in my head clicked and now I’m seriously thinking of buying one. However, as I mentioned, I’m really new to the monome system and I’d like to know how much norns rely on other machines, like grid. As far as I read until now there are functions that are available only combining grid and norns. So I’d like to ask to the community how flexible the system is and if not owning other monome machines could “ruin” my experience with norns.
To give a full context of how I think I’ll use it, I see it as a kind of jolly piece, something that I can use as a post-chain Fx, or as a sampler/granulator to add textures and whatnot.

i am the same as you—for years i only had a mac, then a year or two ago i got an op-1. then the norns sold out before i could decide so i got a grid. now i have a grid and a norns and an op-1 and ableton. it’s a slippery slope!

i have been using the norns without the grid lately and having a bunch of fun with it, i think it’s still worth it— but the most monome-y stuff does benefit from a grid, especially if you don’t want to learn to script norns (but you really do, it’s easy and adds so much!)

there’s a granulator engine that has been inplimented in several scripts, a couple of which don’t need the grid. there’s also a couple of loop options that are fun to run as post sends (loving cranes! thank you dan). there’s a pitch shifter and a filter that also work as send fx. along with the master reverb and compressor. generally i think the fx options are not being as explored as the other aspects of norns right now, but it’s still pretty early days.

also your midi stuff should all “just work” with norns and there are scripts for midi already as well.

To me Norns stands out from much of the Monome stuff because it’s primary feature is a user friendly interface to the computer music system called Supercollider. As of today, scripts which run on Norns include many virtual analog synthesizers

• A polyphonic subtractive synth
  • A multi-oscillator poly synth with ring modulation and LFOs and distortion
  • A physical modeling bowed string synth
  • A 6x6 phase modulation FM synth modeled after the DX7 (I’m working on this one myself)
  • A granular synth

All of these take MIDI input. Some take a Grid input too. Many, if not all of the things you can do with Norns you can do in a similar way on a laptop computer running Supercollider and some MIDI controllers but Norns won’t run spreadsheets or let you watch Netflix. It’s a special-purpose computer, which to me is the crucial difference.

I worked with Supercollider in college in the 90s. I understood why it could be so amazing, I even played a few live shows with two laptops and Supercollider patches. But I kinda hated how it handled physical I/O like MIDI controllers and other devices. I gave up on it for many years. Norns made me like it again. It fixes all that. You don’t even have to know Supercollider to make new systems or adapt existing ones. There’s a simple scripting language with a UI through a web browser.

Install x11, Firefox, libre office and use ssh -X and you are good to go :wink: