Norns: help

norns

Libreoffice?! Everyone knows Excel is the world’s best 3D rendering engine for spreadsheets

Is there a better way to send OSC messages to norns, rather than over wifi? I’m getting delays of a few seconds. Can you send OSC through the usb cable?

Hi can I use any phone charger with Norns ? Thanks

20 characters of yes, you can!

what’s your wifi setup look like? how far is your router?

for lowest latency i’d suggest using hotspot mode so the antennas are very close. if you need to use a far-away router i might suggest getting a better usb wifi dongle that actually has an antenna. or you could get a usb-to-ethernet adapter and wire your network connection to a hub.

Norns frozen running mlr orange light on. What to do?
Edit : found the reset button at the back

that’s not normal at all for any kind of UDP traffic, so i’d check your network / use the norns hotspot / use usb-thernet adapter as suggested. if the networking part is known to be good (e.g. you get reasonable latencies pinging the norns from the same device that’s sending OSC) then we indeed might have some traffic congestion issue (@jah didn’t you see something like this sporadically?)

if it seems like a specific issue with norns handling OSC, then we would need quite a bit more information to triage it - whats the network setup, what kind of data are you sending (and how much), what script/engines are running, CPU load if you can manage it, &c - with some more specifics (steps to reproduce) we can open an issue and check it out.

a general thing to keep in mind is that on norns, all communication between Lua and SuperCollider is accomplished with OSC messages over a local UDP port. so that traffic is competing for bandwidth with your networked OSC controller traffic. so if you have a script sending out tons of really fast control/note sequences, or something, you can expect other soft-realtime network traffic to be potentially slow (if it’s using TCP) or spotty (UDP.) (IOW: is there a correlation between lag/weirdness with your networked controller, and lag/weirdness with built-in controls / sequencing on the norns?)

there’s not really a standard way to do that.

i wish i could sticky this fact somehow: OSC is a transport-independent data format, not a communication protocol.

usually when we say “send OSC” it’s shorthand for “send OSC-formatted messages over a UDP or TCP network sockets.” if you want to use the OSC format on other transport layers, you need to make more decisions about framing and transmission rate and stuff. so there are different protocols that do that:

• TouchOSC can connect to iOS devices to a host over a USB cable, if the host is running a special bridging app. the app uses a library called libimobiledevice - i don’t know a lot about this (docs arn’t so good) but i’d guess it gives support for apple’s MultiPeer protocol for mac, and whatever equivalent for windows. not clear to me if/how the library supports linux.

• monome’s own serialosc sets up a little local networking service and dispatches serial data to/from monome controllers. (similar function as the TouchOSC bridge app, but kinda “in reverse” - host sees monome device as network endpoint, instead of iOS device as serial endpoint.) on norns we don’t use this - we opted to talk to monome controllers directly over the serial port, bypassing the networking layer. (instead of competing with lua-SC traffic as described above.)

• CNMAT has an arduino library for sending OSC messages over the serial port. it is built on the SerialIP library and uses the SLIP encoding, which is a kindof standard way to emulate network protocols over a serial port.

we could add explicit support in norns for any of these methods. any of them would require work (of course), and all of them require different stuff to be running on whatever device the norns would be talking to.

so the solution would involve the question: what kind of device are you using to send the OSC data? and how would you connect it to a normal computer, instead of norns?

my guess is that the controller is an iOS device running TouchOSC, and further that there’s no way to use the wired mode with a linux host. if i’m wrong, awesome - adding support on norns would range from “trivial” to “probably straightforward.”

(to be clear, i also think this would be a cool feature to have.)

supporting devices that use OSC over SLIPSerial (like Arduino devices running using the CNMAT lib) would be “definitely strtaightforward,” and would require adding support for SLIP framing on serial ports, most likely in the C application layer of norns. (i also think this would be cool to have, but i’m unwilling to designate it as a necessary feature because i have no idea how many devices in the wild actually use this protocol - guessing not very many - and there are more pressing issues in the device I/O layer, like supporting multiple MIDI ports.)

I have a lot of latency using ssh with norns due to low wifi signal strength - it’s better wtih hotspot.

On another note, internally to norns (not re: wifi), I’ve found that scripts that sends a lot of commands to crone (ie. modulation) might cause commands to be delayed. I’ve not narrowed the problem down, but rather work around it for now (design macro commands).

HI, is there another solution for connecting Norns to Ansible? seems the Spanish midi-usb device is sold out and iconnect does not work.

Out of curiousity did you try it with the cables swapped? Specifically ansible into port 2 and norns into port 1 (tablet/computer).

Looking at the iconnect midi 2+ specs I’m wondering if the audio pass through might be causing problems with ansible and/or norns.

yes, i tried both ways. The data is getting to iconnect but going no further. Its maybe a setting or something in iconnect or because of 2 hosts in the same chain Norns + Iconnect. I’ve used iPad sequencers via the iconnectmidi to Ansible and they worked fine.

hahaha just what I need another weekend project that takes me away from music. I’ll let you know how it goes! :smile:

have you succesfully used iconnect with ansible and other devices? (sorry if you already said this.) reason i ask is ansible can’t see USB hubs and iconnect seems like a thing that could have a hub in it.

No I can’t get it to work. I’ve used an iPad with iconnectmidi to Ansible and that works. I have an FH1 module and maybe that’s the way to get Norns midi to my modular.

I’ve been thinking about different ways i could use Norns/Grid effectively in my setup beyond the applications already on it. I was thinking it might be interesting to make a delay/filter combo controlled by the grid. Specifically I’m imagining a spectral filter like a buchla 296e that has 8 or 16 discrete band pass filters the outputs of which you could apply delay to individually or in groups. i haven’t done much coding on norns yet but i imagine an application like that would take a good bit of effort. would anyone be interested in helping me figure out how to realize this?

hi. my name is jay electronica and i’m new here. if anyone wants to help a lost soul through this maze, hello my new best friend.

you own norns? or planning to buy soon? any specific questions?

to help you we’ll need a bit more info mate

firstly, thanks for replying.

i just ordered a used one off reverb and am expecting it any day now.

where would you point me as a beginner, just to get my mind wrapped around the basic concept and some sort of introduct ion/ory (course?)

as of right now i’m just experimenting w sound.

my current rig/setup is

MPCX
small modular system (rack)
prophet rev 2
and a few pedals

i’ve fallen in love w what i’ve seen different users do w norn on youtube and ig.

again, thanks for the reply, and sorry for my lengthy and maybe not so clear response. :palms_up_together:t6:

Welcome Jay. Are you looking to code or just play with the different apps (or play with the code in the apps to make them do special custom things for you)?

if you are interested in the coding part i’d recommend checking out the studies if you haven’t yet, they are super helpful! (even if you aren’t interested in the coding part they might provide a little insight into the mental processes/general concepts) https://monome.org/docs/norns/study-1/