Norns: help

norns

overhauling the tape UI now! everyone will be happy I think

norns’s documentation says “Use the cable and power supply provided.” (for charging norns’s internal battery).

Is it safe to use any other non-broken USB cable for charging, or does it have to fulfill certain criteria (if yes, which)?

Is there information on using HID with norns? I did a supercollider tutorial where you controlled x and y values with a mouse and was wondering if it’s similar. Also found this, but Brian mentioned a norns HID class, so I’m not sure if it’ll work: http://doc.sccode.org/Guides/Working_with_HID.html

Once MIDI controllers are set up while using a script, are they persisted? Don’t have any knob controllers to try with yet.

EDIT: Nevermind - I see in one of the videos that assigning a CC value presents a save/load menu.

low-quality or extra-long USB cables may suffer from voltage drop if the wire gauge is very low. generally this isn’t a problem, but with very high current draw the cable could heat up a bit. the cables we ship are very high quality.

i regularly use other cables without issues, however. but it’s important i disclose this possible issue.

@Jonny there is a lua HID class that hasn’t been updated to the new device discovery system. we’re working on it.

Thanks! I’d like to buy a shorter cable than the one supplied with norns. Is there any specific “key word” or manufacturer I should look for when browsing online stores to make sure I get a suitable cable?

Hi,

i have a first generation 128 (external ps, walnut enclosure)
I’m assuming this will work with norns, but wanted to double check before ordering.

thank you.
-c

this took me a long time to get around to but the wifi nub still doesn’t work. when I try to serial in I just get a cursor and can’t type anything. any ideas?

Hi All - norns arrived a couple of days ago - and so the journey begins, and having much fun with it - working my way through the studies - as not a coder. A quick question if I may, re the behaviour of the key - specifically key 3 but I assume they are the same. I extended the study 1 exercise to randomly set a new frequency on each key 3 press but I noted I’m getting 2 sounds - 1 for the down press (and if I hold it - the frequency selected stays the same) and 1 for when I let go - the up press if you like. Getting the frequency to print out, and that confirmed the ‘2’ sounds - so is this what we would expect? - just checking.

Sounds like it’s working as expected. If you only want it to change on a “down press”, it’s an simple change/fix.
To filter out the release of a key, you can check for the state in your keys function.

function key(n, z)
  if n == 3 and z == 1 then
    do some stuff here
  end
end

z is the keys state, and will be either 1 for pressed or 0 for not pressed.

Excellent - thanks for tip!

I’m trying to implement ratcheting for Kria Ack script, is there any simple solution for delaying note? using os.sleep seems to pause execution of rest of the script

use a metro. see study 3

basically set a time to elapse, and a callback function to do whatever action you need.

generally norns scripting needs to be considered in terms of functions. anything time-based has to be associated with a metronome waiting and then calling the function.

somewhat like DEL in teletype. it just queues an an action (function) for future execution.

here’s a quick example:

m = metro.alloc()
m.time = 1
m.count = 1
m.callback = function() print("hello from the future") end
m:start()

(we have a PR on the way to condense the syntax for all of this)

you can re-use m also. reassign the time, call start again, change the callback function. it’s all fine.

so

m.callback = function() print("do something else")
m:start()

Is there a (built-in) way to return the current number of iterations of a counter?

yes, 1-based stage number is an optional argument to the metro callback.

Oh! Is that what stage means? (I’ll try this when I get home)

i just had great luck rsyncing! lovely stuff.

circling back on this today… Am I misunderstanding? - Should the stage value increment for each callback?

with the following it just prints 1*

function init()
  counter = metro.alloc()
  counter.callback = count
  counter.time = 1/2 -- interval
  counter.count = -1 -- run how long
  counter:start()
end
function count()
  print(counter.stage)
end

*Actually, this is acting strangely. First time I ran it, stage was nil, then I assigned it to a value from start() and now it seems to be a persistent global at whatever the last value was. i.e. stage does not default to 1 (?)

local k

function init() 
   k = metro.alloc()  
   k.callback = tst
   k:start(1)
end

function tst(stage)
   print("Hello " .. stage)
end

Oooh thanks. You gotta pass stage to the callback, eh? Doh.