Norns: help

norns

i haven’t tested BT-midi. there is no BT on norns itself but you could use a USB BT adapter. but then there is likely some OS setup to make that happen. shouldn’t be terribly difficult, but linux knowledge is a must.

Trying to download tape tracks via sftp. It’s extremely slow…

This happens when the wifi signal is weak. Using a better wifi dongle or moving the norns box closer to your router might actually help.

The other thing that helps with connection and speed for me is trying the Norns hotspot network. Which can be somewhat inconvenient but works in a pinch.

Used it through hotspot…it was like 50mb track in 10 mins, just canceled it and did it via usb sync.

Not sure if it has been discussed elsewhere already (search of this thread didn’t reveal anything), but are there any specific charging practices that will help prolong Norns battery performance? No concerns to date but just wondering… e.g. repeated small charges versus less frequent full charges? Or does this not really affect it in the long run?

Also, leaving it plugged in overnight (even though it will be fully charged within an hour or so) isn’t going to hurt long term performance is it?

Got the grid to run ok with metro giving me the delay I wanted - so I thought I’d post it for other newbies coming across it.

-- light up grid based on metro - ie run in demo mode
-- key 2 - restart
-- key 3 - stop
--

function init()
  m = metro.alloc()
  m.time = 0.125 -- time interval, 1.0 = 1 second --
  m.count = 1
  m.callback = count
  m:start()
  g = grid.connect()
  x = 0; y = 1; n = 0
  z = 3 -- brightness --
end

function count(c)
  m:start(); n=n+1; x=x+1
  g.led(x,y,z)
  g.refresh()
  if x > 15 then; x=0; y=y+1; end
  if y > 8 then; x=0; y=1; end
  if n > 127 then; g.all(0); g.refresh(); n=0;z=3; end
end 

function key(n,z)
  if n == 3 then
    g.all(0)
    g.refresh()
    m:stop()
  elseif n == 2 then
       g.all(0)
       g.refresh()
       m:stop()
       init()
  end
end

function redraw()
  screen.clear()
  screen.move(5,6)
  screen.text("demo grid lights")
  screen.update()
end

Looking for recommendations for Norns scripts that output midi.

I’ve been trying out Loom with the MI CVpal outputting 2 channels of CV/Gate which has been fun.

What else have people been using?

2nd that - just started looking around for the same - norns with midi outs - lets see what people are up to! :grinning:

The version of Awake that is on the github site has a midi out option!

i’m really curious about this too. looking forward to using all the cool norns sequencers. would love to sequence my vst’s ( Aalto, Kaivo, Vcv Rack) and my ms-20 mini. i have an audioconnect audio 4+ audio interface. it has a midi input so i’m looking for the right cable to connect the midi out of norns. anyone have recommendations / can share their experience for a good usb to midi cable for norns?

Foulplay outputs midi!

Edit: I am also working on something new that is “just midi” :sweat_smile:. It’s a knob recorder/ midi cc modulator, and it is shown a bit here…

Saw this on Facebook and wanted to confirm. If so how many channels can it handle?

The Grid isn’t really responsible for creating the MIDI: various Norns (or laptop) apps use Grid as the user interface, some output MIDI. It looks like @marcus_fischer was using one of @markeats’s apps in this photo?

Yeah that was mine. Norns is outputting midi over usb and the mutable instruments CVpal is converting midi note info to two channels of CV (paraphonic).
I was messing around w/ the newest version of Awake that is on the dust repo which also has a midi option. Super fun!

Very interesting. I’m not a fan of scripting languages usually, but as with all Monome products the design is seriously appealing.

What is Norns maximum sample resolution? The ADC/DAC listed says it can do 192kHz at 24 bits. Can the unit support this?

With a gig of RAM, how much is available for scripts and applications? Do we have any demonstrations of the processing limits?

I’m asking all of this, because I’m currently loaded with modular modules that can do in one shape or form similar things, and there is just a lot of overlapping territory. As much as I like norns, I’m trying to justify buying it. :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance for the info!

@marcus_fischer I’ve been using Kria, Loom and Zellen midi out. I wished Fugu had a midi out but unfortunately not. @Dan_Derks upcoming Cellular Automata one looks great too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsECgraBZ6i/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=5nd5x40qfkj6

For some reason I can’t get the Kria-midi.lua script to load :face_with_monocle:

This happened to me the first time and I managed to get it to work, but not 100% sure how. I know there was a reboot involved and disconnecting FTP / WiFi hotspot also. Also try removing the usb connected stuff also before loading the first time. After that it’s been ok since.

jack is configured for 48khz, 24b, 128 sample buffers. this was deemed the best tradeoff of format, latency, processor efficiency. i believe the kernel overlay will support higher SR through clock ratio division but not 100% sure. its hard for me to imagine this being a great use of resources, but i suppose if you want to experiment with bandwidth-expanding algorithms it could help.

With a gig of RAM, how much is available for scripts and applications?

the built-in softcut buffer-manipulator use an arbitrary amount of RAM (set at compile time). currently it is set to use 16777216 32-bit frames, so ~65MB. top reports ~693MB unwired.

Do we have any demonstrations of the processing limits?

i’m not sure what a useful demonstration would look like. we are rolling back the use of supernova due to its instability on ARM/NEON. this means using scsynth, which is single-threaded so limited to a single 1.2GHz core. that’s still a lot of sinewaves.

built-in mixing, softcut and FX takes about one entire core in addition. this leaves another ~2 cores worth of headroom for the lua interpreter (should you choose to employ it) and for an additional DSP process if you want. (puredata, custom jack client, &c)

running all 4 cores at >75% or so may cause overheating and kernel faults.

hope that helps.