Norns: help

norns

yes! i haven’t touched softcut yet as i too have been waiting for the study/more documentation—i just successfully got the pattern_time library working on my norns encoders just by staring at the code for it and earthsea and thinking really, really hard, but it is not my favorite way to learn.

update and softcut study coming and all will be amazing

absolutely you should give it a try. think of something simple you would like to do and then go from there (after following along to the studies). if you have specific questions about Lua someone here will be able to help.

Yes!

…or I should say it might already or will in the upcoming update. The arc support feature (that I worked on) got merged into the main source code, but I can’t remember when that happened :slight_smile:

I’ve been working on a script and have been wondering, what’s the difference between BeatClock and metro for keeping time? I’m also a little confused about how I can view the API for these 2 components (guessing it’s buried in the repo somewhere). I tried the maiden command to ‘list_commands’ but it didn’t seem to work for metro. It’s still a little weird for me, all the automatic stuff that’s under the surface, but the studies are helping quite a bit.

There’s docs on board http://norns.local/doc/modules/metro.html

beatclock however is a contributed library so you’ll have to look at the raw lua at dust/lib/beatclock.lua

Yippee! :grinning::grinning:

Sort of a general question, wondering how some of you would handle this?

I’m trying to set up an animation that plays between metro counts. It would probably scale to the tempo. Is there a way to subdivide the time between counts (say 8th notes/16th notes) or do I need separate instances of the metro object to be managed?

EDIT: I should also mention that this animation will be shown on the grid, not on the screen.

Use the animation as the base clock and have the “tempo” increment on some number of animation steps?

hey everyone,

i’m having trouble playing a file off the norns tape. i’m trying to play a field recording in the background while i use mlr. i know its the right format for the audio file and i’m on the latest update. any ideas?

Has anyone seen odd ghosting happen with their scripts that use grid? I’m seeing some pads light up very very lightly, even though I didn’t set them and I’m calling g.all(0) and g.refresh() after setting my leds. All the pads I end up setting should be brightness level 5 (at this point).

yes! happens with less concepts a bit, but i couldn’t tell if it’d be worth mentioning.

complete guess but how often are you refreshing the LEDs? i want to say i ran into this when i tried removing the grid refresh rate variable from loom but i can’t remember for sure–had some weird behavior resulting from calling refresh too quickly at one point for sure

I have a script that is updating grid on every metro count with a significant percentage of lit leds. If I reduce the metro step size enough (ie increase the grid update frequency) at some point I see similar behavior.

Ok, I’m able to reproduce the ghosting. This is a basic grid test script I uploaded to github. Press a key and it lights up, press a key and it turns off. I stripped down to the very basics to make sure it wasn’t something else I was doing. No metro here or anything else at play.

To reproduce the issue, load the script via maiden, then press each of the grid keys in the four corners of the 128 grid. Then toggle one of them off and you’ll see other pads very lightly lit, at what looks like a 1 value. On my grid it’s usually a key on the opposite side. (I can provide exact x/y coordinates if needed).

If others can try this out and verify that they’re getting the same issue, maybe this is a bug that needs to be reported?

had to turn off my lights to see but i can reproduce this as well. pretty wild, no clue what that could be about.

the LED bleed is an issue i confirmed a couple years ago after someone alerted me to the situation after using the grid in darkness— i’d never noticed it previously. and you’ve all just reminded me of it. it remains an elusive fix (i’ve spend several hours on it), something with the firmware timing on the grid.

so to confirm, it’s not your scripts or norns. and your grids are not broken: this subtle bleed is an internal timing artifact.

Thanks for clearing it up. I got concerned that I was doing something wrong in my scripting and have been working in lower light environments.

Need some help to understand Norns system.
Are scripts written in super collider?
What are the engines?
Where does lua take place?
The outer cell where the reverb and compressor are can it also be altered ?
Many thanks

to quote the website:

scripts are written in a simple programming language called Lua. scripts manage the keys and knobs and screen-- they’re also where grids and midi and metronomes happen. scripts choose which sound engine to use and then control its parameters. sound engines are made with SuperCollider and are also fully customizable.

Here are the current engines on github.