Norns: ideas

norns

ideas for scripts and engines, please post here.

include detail! the more detail provided, the better we can collectively assess the possibility of realization and how an idea might become a real thing.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

perhaps I’ll just dive in myself and bringing this idea to life could be the start of my adventure in learning how to code with Norns…

BUT I’d love to see an Echophon-like delay app. For those unfamiliar, the principle special thing about Echophon is that it has pitch-shifting that does not alter the delay time.

In particular the effect I’d love to recreate that the Echophon does is pitch-shifting inserted into the feedback path such that each pass of the delay signal becomes more and more pitch shifted, in whatever direction/strength is currently selected. an example of this exact thing was done by Thom recently with a B&G Shared System https://youtu.be/ZWpvynezXTw?t=20

judging from all the various pitch-shifting stuff that many Norns apps already does, this seems like something that the engine would be quite capable of, no?

i would point the aspiring engine coder at PitchShift.ar ugen which is an off-the-shelf granular pitch shifter and would get you in that territory very painlessly (put a few in a patch matrix.)

SoftCut engine is undergoing major revision which allows smooth resampling. for more detailed control over echophon-like structure (at the cost of CPU.)

It may be a little bit early to ask this, but I’ve been wondering if Crow will allow one to send CV into Norns for processing, output it back out. An example I had in mind was recreating what the Xaoc Drezno does when it samples an incoming signal and creates gates + a processed version of that signal based on sample rate and bits. Also, are there any latency issues with this? What kinds of CV processing/generation, if any, can be done with supercollider?

Also, forgive me if this is the wrong thread to ask in.

can you more precisely explain the processing/analysis involved? i don’t know that module.

It’s sort of hard to describe, but essentially I think it does something like this:

1. converts analog signal to digital
  2. quantizes it to a bit rate (8 bit for example)
  3. outputs gates for the bits

You can also manipulate and flip the bits, creating odd cv or audio signals.

Manual is here, there is a section near the end explaining the bit manipulation better than I have.

send CV into Norns for processing, output it back out.

that sounds like a job for the audio I/O on norns, and a level scaler on your modular. though i am not sure if norns I/O will pass DC or not. ( i’ll check)

What kinds of CV processing/generation, if any, can be done with supercollider

supercollider is a realtime DSP environment that is happy to operate on very low frequency signals.

i don’t know much about detailed plans for Crow but i don’t understand it to be an audio-rate device.

Sorry I can’t give any detail but something possibly towards generative music?
I remember SSeyo koan, B.Eno dev which has evolved to:
https://intermorphic.com/wotja/5/ or something along the lines of Bloom (ios app)
Thanks

TT on norns

• Connect an alphanumeric USB keyboard to norns
• Select TT script in norns

• The TT script has 14 pages, selectable via the USB keyboard:
• • 8 TT script pages, 1 INIT script page, 1 METRO script page,
• • in addition the PATTERN, the SCENE and the LIVE pages,
• • plus finally the LUA page

• While the other pages are obvious to TT users, the LUA page offers the standard elements of norns’s LUA programming plus some more, i.e.:
• • Select the SC engine
• • Connect TT script’s CVs, TRs, to the SC engine’s synth parameters
• • Connect TT script’s PARAMs and INs to norns’s KEYs and ENCs and USB devices

TT pulled me into the monome world, and its language is so cute I’d like to see it spread on norns as well.

This is based on an earlier post of mine, but better put here, so feel free to delete the earlier post.

I keep thinking about Plane for Norns - a sequencer where the encoders control the ‘map’ of steps you can see, giving you a sequencer of potentially infinite notes and length.

I love all of these ideas. One thing that I really want is some sort of microtonal keyboard. I’m thinking it could be very similar to Earthsea, but might give the user the ability to define how many tones per octave, use Scala scales, etc… while keeping the polyphony and recording/ playback functionality. That is my dream.

Do you think that the SoftCut ugen might be ‘upstreamed’ into the sc3-plugins repo at some point in the future?

“narc”

An arc emulator for norns.

Knobs act as knobs, buttons act as old arc push-buttons.
Button 1 selects between knobs 1+2/3+4
Screen would display encoder position (inspired by @okyeron’s clARCk post)

meadowphysics for norns

• One mode could by like Playfair. Eight samples with the mp sequencer. Eight MIDI notes out.
  • Another mode could be a synth with the mp note mode from Ansible.

bytebeat machine

I could imagine some of the Ornament and Crime sequencers ported over since the interface is perfect. Having those as MIDI sequencers or internal synth sequencers would be awesome. Similarly, something like Temps Utile as a MIDI and drum engine sequencer.

A looping random MIDI generator similar to Marbles.

A “macro oscillator” type engine that has three simple parameters and easily switchable algorithms. This would allow for more versatile sketches without needing to create lots of variations.

(In general, worth maybe a separate discussion, it would be useful to have engine “standards” for certain use cases. For instance, a category of synth engines that all have an ADSR along with certain named parameters. Then the sketch can list all engines matching the category and swap between them. Another standard would be triggered sample playback. Engines are not required to conform to any listed standards, but they can support the standards if they want to be used in a sketch that supports engine swapping)

A MIDI looper that takes MIDI inputs from USB, captures data as loops and processes them in unusual ways (Vague, yes, but I’m thinking about how I use my Hermod… transpose, slide, arp, probability, ratchet, time and pitch quantization, etc.).

A simple, gridless audio looper, something to mlr like easygrain is to glut. I’m imagining something like the looper from the ER-301 where the buttons can act like arm/punch/run and the knobs can act like speed/mix/overdub.

Related, I could imagine something similar to w/, but with something more like a 20-30 second “tape”,

An engine that can read a longer file and play it back as slices.

A microsound synthesis (not sample playback) engine. Think glisson, pulsar, trainlet, etc.

Not sure if there’s enough juice, but a convolution reverb engine. SC already has some Convolution opcodes to make this easy, but it gets wildly more expensive with longer files. Perhaps there could be an internal restriction on file length.

Phase vocoder spectral processor. A lot of SpecOps was inspired by the PV UGens in SC.

A real-time loop glitcher based on the classic BBCut UGen.

Modulation CC generator/sequencer (LFOs, random, etc.)

Snake. Pong.

Having nearly reached the first release of the Kria port - I do think all of the eurorack sequencers could be ported. The way Kria works is note generation is a callback - up to the enclosing script how notes are made.

Interestingly I’ve just released an iOS app that does something just like this. I’ve obviously done this to generate some money but I doubt that a Norns port is going to cannibalise sales much - and it will also be a useful test bench for some new algorithm ideas I have… watch this space

So this is already a thing i’m working on. :slight_smile:
I’ve got PCBs laid out for a 1x4 knob setup (expandable to 1x8 or 2x4), but have not ordered them yet (but soon). I got sidetracked into helping get the arc/norns software working first. This is probably a few weeks away.

Here’s a quick proof of concept version I breadboarded that I’ve been using for testing (and in the clARCk video). Display stuff here is actually midi values though (it can do both midi or serial monome)

simple multi-track recorder.
maybe it’s something that runs top-level so that you can switch scripts and build up a composition.
can be super minimal like the op-1 tape situation - but with more tracks and stereo recording :slight_smile:

i’d agree but unless ext storage is accessible for the new recorder it might have frustratingly small capacity

I have something similar to this nearly done. Just need to find time to add a few more features before sharing.

This would push me very close to selling out of modular.
I love it.

I’d be keen to help work on this.

I started fiddling with keyboard (HID) input last week, but the functions are a bit funky. Hoping for an HID study soon.