Norns: ideas

Thanks will check them. Your Salamandr looks good, so now if it just had a function to play the whole sequence of slices :nerd_face: to some bpm :heart_eyes:

1 Like

This would make an awesome secondary start up splash screen that @MatthewAshmore mentioned earlier.
How cool would it be that every time you turn on Norns you get a new Eno Oblique Strategy!
What a great way to spark a new thought before making sound :sparkles: :upside_down_face: :sparkles:

3 Likes

I made a quick visualisation in after effects to show what I mean.

It is just to quickly check what you can do rhythmically with a sample

3 Likes

Doesn’t @infinitedigits Abacus script work kinda like this?

3 Likes

It does but the difference here is that everything happens on 1 screen, and you don’t create a chain of slices (in Abacus you can also put for example 1 chunk a couple of times), you would just move them around and change their regions / startpoints / end / position in time. And this gives you the ability to work on an even loop and immediately hear how it appears as a whole loop. Like on Digitakt basically

1 Like

yeah this could be done in abacus. you just assign letters a-h to sequential pieces of your sample and then sequence them in the order you want. but…frankly speaking I find abacus a little hard to use and probably wouldn’t use it for this type of thing. abacus was made to be like a po-33, but with high quality audio. I’ve realized, that for me personally, the individual buttons in the po-33 is really what unlocks its flow and I can’t get that flow out of abacus cause its designed to only use the three buttons + three encoders.

actually, maybe serendipitously, I’m currently toying with the idea of making a more faithful clone of the po-33 to play with samples for the lcrp now that I have a grid and I’ve gotten a lot more intuition about how to leverage supercollider.

but also, I think that you could do this with timber?

wow this is so cool. I’m a very visual person and this was super helpful!

6 Likes

I was seriously considering getting a po-33 and now you have, in one sentence, removed all of my desire for one!! Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks man! Yep, I could probably do this on Timber too. But there I would also have to add these steps and sequence them. I would not be able to hear immediately how a sample sounds like when you slice it evenly to 8 pieces and loop. It produces nice results especially when you use something like an ambient pad. So the whole fun here would be to just hear right away how something appears when sliced / looped.

For the grid it would be awesome if it acts like Digi → place a step, hold the button to change the startpoint / endpoint / nudge the position of note :v:

2 Likes

I’m just going to put this out here in case anyone wishes to pursue this! It works… sort of? It’s very very rudimentary and quite slapped together, but I got some nice sounds out of it using some melodic material. Beats are a bit harder, and I don’t really have a good sense of what bpm/clock division is at the moment, so a lot of the clock stuff is off. But hey! really had a good time stretching myself this evening, and thanks to @Ukasz for all the feedback.

Hahaha the more and more I use it the more I realise it’s just basically one sliver of cheat_codes in a standalone script :sweat_smile:

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to give credit where credit is due. A lot of the structural elements dealing with the sample slice management is from abacus, so thanks to @infinitedigits – I’ve just learned so much from opening up your scripts :smiley:

3 Likes

haha don’t thank me yet! its very much an idea. although I think it would be pretty easy - the guts would be very similar to amen. the main roadblock for me is the ui design, which is kinda everything. trouble is that the po-33 is sorta 5x5 which doesn’t stamp well onto a 8x8 grid interface. so the faithfulness of the po-33 might be sacrificed to put more po-33’s on one grid (maybe 2 po’s that are 6x4 instead of 5x5) or maybe make it have more steps (32 instead of 16?). my main intention is pretty aligned with @Ukasz’s idea, that it would be nice to have a thing that loads a sample and makes it really really easy to chop and sequence. my secondary intention is to make something that helps me sell my po-33 :wink:

this is awesome! great work :slight_smile: :sunflower:

edit: its no longer an idea lol

10 Likes

Thanks, it means a lot coming from you! :herb:

This looks amazing! Super excited to see what comes out of it. I love how you’re building this wonderful body of work with all these wonderful scripts, and the music you make with them too!

4 Likes

Via Music Hackspace:
Sam Tarakajian and Alex Van Gils presenting their new language Nestup as a free livestream on Youtube.

Might be a good space to inquire about a Nestup port to a Norns script?

Date & Time: Monday 10th May 6pm UK / 7pm Berlin / 10am LA / 1pm NYC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZeadB56YFs

1 Like

2nding this after starting to learn Nestup. It seems as though Nestup would be a wonderful fit on norns in the same way that orcλ is, but necessarily being less screen real estate-intensive because of the manner in which code is written during use.

I don’t in any way know how to write in Lua, unfortunately, so I’m approaching this purely as one who would be an enthusiastic end user. But using the Nestup output to trigger internal/sound sources via MIDI, and maybe also the softcut buffer/Timber engine would be so great!

2 Likes

Hi - I sequence midi via Mac version of Orca. Wondering if there is a script on Norns that would allow 8 or more samples to be loaded and played back on separate midi channels to be sequenced externally? Kind of like the process of externally sequencing a Digitakt or Octa if you catch my drift…
Thanks!

3rding. Actually came here to ask this. Would be really cool to be able to use this on the Norns via midi

1 Like

A Paulstretch type script for Norns.
If it could have the same sort of functionality as the VST version, that would be really sweet and another reason not to use a generic all-purpose computer.

3 Likes

Cool! I’ve been thinking about having a crack at this for a while. Are you thinking about using it with live input or by loading samples? Which parts of the VST do you use the most?

2 Likes

I was looking into this a while back and came across this bit of code: Paulstretch for SuperCollider

2 Likes

Nice, that was the same code that I was looking at. I’m keen to try and bring some of the cool harmonics features (fifths, +1 octave, +2 octaves etc) and some of the other additional bits across from the VST too.

I’ll have a crack at turning this into something over the weekend.

9 Likes

Cool. Ideally if it could work with both live audio capture and loaded samples that would be really good. To be honest I mostly just use the stretch amount setting and apply additional reverb later in the chain. So I can’t really justify the request for full VST-like functionality! I’ve also used the standalone and Audacity based versions, but the VST just seems better somehow. Sorry that’s not very helpful. I’ll go and have a play with the different versions again soon and get back to you about what I like about Paulstretch.

1 Like