norns: ideas

most/all of the buffer reading ugens work strictly based of a phase input - so phase modulation would just be a matter of summing your modulation with a Phasor. not familiar with the module, but sounds to me like an approachable & worthwhile first supercollider project !

2 Likes

This may be a big can-of-worms thing, but would it be worthwhile to get VST support into Norns? I found this SC plugin that seems to fit the bill, but couldn’t quite figure out where it goes in the Norns SC setup in order to test it out. I think that each VST would still require its own engine in order to pull in the parameters, so I don’t think you’d be able to just drop in your favorite stuff and go.

Are there (m)any VST plug-ins available for Linux/ARM? What you links to talks about running Windows plug-ins with Wine, but that’ll only work on x86.

I dunno, I wouldn’t, leave it be a magical sound computer it is :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There’s quite a few VST plugins compiled for ARM, but I don’t know if it would be interesting or worthwhile to use them with Supercollider/Norns: KXStudio : Repositories : Plugins.

1 Like

Yeah, I think this is right. It’d probably be a heavy lift in order to allow Norns to do stuff that existing scripts can already do. In my case, the primary use case is already covered by Mx.Samples (and maybe others).

2 Likes

Agreed. I like Norns for the weird stuff I can’t easily get on desktop. Plus most of my favorite VST are either very demanding or have some sort of copy-protection. I can’t think of any freebies worth trying to squeeze into the Norns form factor with a limited GUI.

2 Likes

Much <3 for the weird, also <3 for open source (which norns scripts are by design) to adapt, adopt and learn from.

3 Likes

well the rabbit hole at the bottom of the can of worms leads to the pandoras box which requires that any of the VSTs be compiled for ARM linux :upside_down_face: (or whatever the raspi processor is blah blah)

3 Likes

You should check out Tviburar. Not exactly what you’re after but pretty close :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! Had overlooked that one.

Some similar elements to the generator patch but some pretty big differences though, so I don’t think they’ll be too similar in practice. Still, looks like a really fun and useful script in it’s own way. Can’t wait to check it out!

I’m interested generally in having more norns scripts that are completely self-contained - no need for external input, grid, midi devices, etc. but also very interesting to interact with. flora and awake come to mind as great examples.

to that end, here are two ideas that I’ve spiked but then became not entirely enthusiastic about. would love ideas related to / forked from / completely different than these.

phrases: create and connect musical phrases. each musical phrase can have any number of notes / tempo. and any note can have a probability to jump to another phrase and continue. eventually all phrases return to the first phrase. melodies nested in melodies. (and two/three simultaneous phrases might create chords). GitHub - schollz/phrases

splines: make music by drawing music. everything is a spline: note pitch, time between notes, note velocity, space between notes. you pick the points of the spline and the curvature determines all the parameters for music. GitHub - schollz/splines

not related to the above goal, but another (sorta joke) idea I had:

midi2code: instead of live coding music, music live codes. e.g. predetermined code or markov-generated code is typed one letter at a time after receiving osc messages (which are triggered by midi notes or volume or something). GitHub - schollz/midi2code

17 Likes

Wow, the phrases sounds especially awesome :bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

5 Likes

Take a look (and listen) to the mosaic function here. (from 0:00-3:26).

Sounds amazing! Would love to have that on the Norns.

I am currently waiting for a new batch and will then order it.

Any patches that can go in the same ballpark/range as the video?

4 Likes

cant see the video link

Haha. My amazing brain forgot to paste the link. Done :slight_smile:

same. although we do have a lot of scripts that can produce similar results. every time i think of buying one of the many impressive looking granular pedals/modules, i remember i have a norns. a port of this would be really cool though

2 Likes

Yeah. This pedal really has me thinking. Maybe I should wait and get the micro cosmos instead. Mmeeeh. But the Norns is so cool.

I don’t know how to code myself (only node based stuff), and it will probably take forever before I am good enough to clone the part of the pedal that I love.

mlr / cheat codes / wrms can get into the ballpark sorta. none of them are granular but they can all pitch the live input up an octave which sounds like part of what is happening here (but there will be clicks). plus there’s end of chain reverb in norns if you want it. silos is the only live-input capable true granular script, probably also worth checking out but I’m not sure what all that one does

1 Like

Pedalboard: Chainable FX for norns also has a pedal using the source code from Mutable Instruments Clouds, which can do live-input granular including pitch shifting, density and length control, feedback, etc. :smiley: (Clouds is of course going to mimic the Microcosm “Granules” mode, not so much the Micro Loop, Glitch, or Multi Delay modes)

3 Likes