Norns: ideas

I’m really new to Norns. Forgive me if I get terminology mixed up.
Overall, I’m very happy with 2.0.
I’m hoping to travel with Norns and some tiny instruments, and with that in mind, I’d like for Norns to be the thing I plug my headphones into. No mixer, no computer.
With Reverb and Compression and Tape in Crone (as I understand it) my initial experiments lead me to believe that I can record into Norns, create a looped piece of music in something like Cranes, and then record that music onto (Norns) Tape. This is amazing. I can then take that Tape recording and import it into another script, like Reels… Even more amazing.
The only thing I’m missing for an ideal recording/looping workflow is a delay. If there could be a delay along with the reverb and the ability to route them in series or in parallel. I’d be all set.
What would be even better, I’ve no idea if this is possible, is if the FX could be pre-script, or post-script. Imagine recording a loop with a delay before the script, then adding a longer delay on playback…

1 Like

Search the forum for softcut 2.0, it’s basically scriptable tape that is always available in Norns 2.0. Delays are super easy to set up. @tehn’s halfsecond is a good example of this

7 Likes

delay is just one use of softcut, so it doesn’t effectively work as a “global” delay, but scripts not using softcut could easily be modified to add an auxiliary delay.

there’d need to be some design work to add a menu-driven delay configuration.

1 Like

And for scripts which do use softcut, like Cranes? Would that be simple enough, too? Should I look at your Awake scripting?

On Awake script the delay is present at the audio input…how’s that?

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Cranes

Thinking further…
If we’re working with already recorded audio - reels, tapes, etc - can the audio ins and outs become effective sends and returns before re-recording to TAPE? That should be simple enough, right? Maybe feedback issues?

1 Like

in awake/lib/halfsecond.lua the inputs (first value) are routed to softcut voice (second value) and essentially turned on (third value = 1.0):

softcut.level_input_cut(1, 1, 1.0)
softcut.level_input_cut(2, 1, 1.0)

Thank you. Do you know how can I modify the delay values as well?

take a look here for all params: https://github.com/monome/norns/blob/master/lua/core/softcut.lua

(this discussion should probably be moved to softcut 2.0)

2 Likes

Being older and retaining less and less, I’ve taken to going a little overboard with my Dymo. It really helps me.

Maybe this is what that massive area of real estate above the keys and encoders is for?

17 Likes

I still haven’t had much free time, but did manage to upgrade to 2.0 tonight. Since the Manta was sitting on the desk, I plugged it in and loaded your HID events script, but no luck. I don’t see it in the vports/device list. I do see it recognized by the kernel though:

Apr 18 09:11:23 norns kernel: [ 868.480780] hid-generic 0003:2424:2424.0004: hiddev96,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Device [Snyderphonics Manta] on usb-3f980000.usb-1.1/input0

But basically, I did no digging besides that. So nothing much to confirm yet @myecholalia. I do plan on spending some time on this when I can, as I would love to use the Manta w/ norns. I’d be happy just to read events from it.

And thanks for the suggestion about OSC, there’s a command line Manta->OSC router on GitHub that may work well.

1 Like

Curious - did you try to look in the SYSTEM>DEVICES>HID menu to see if it shows up?

it’s possible it’s not getting recognized by the hardware detection.

What do you see for ls -la /dev/input/ or ls -la /dev/input/by-id?

Nothing in the DEVICES>HID menu.

Here’s the output from /dev/input:

drwxr-xr-x  3 root root     140 Apr 18 09:42 .
drwxr-xr-x 14 root root    3040 Apr 18 10:19 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root     120 Apr 18 09:42 by-path
crw-rw----  1 root input 13, 64 Apr 18 09:42 event0
crw-rw----  1 root input 13, 65 Apr 18 09:42 event1
crw-rw----  1 root input 13, 66 Apr 18 09:42 event2
crw-rw----  1 root input 13, 67 Apr 18 09:42 event3

Here’s the contents of /sys/class/hidraw/hidraw0/device/uevent:

DRIVER=hid-generic
HID_ID=0003:00002424:00002424
HID_NAME=Snyderphonics Manta
HID_PHYS=usb-3f980000.usb-1.1/input0
HID_UNIQ=232
MODALIAS=hid:b0003g0001v00002424p00002424

I was also wondering if something similar was possible. It would be cool if one of the stereo I/O channels could be hijacked as an effects loop – perhaps in some kind of mid/side scheme?

1 Like

Would is be feasible to run VCV patches on Norns? Obviously visually the screen couldn’t handle it, but what about just playing patches that you already made on a computer? VCV has been configured to run on Raspberry Pi so I was just wondering theoretically.There’s info here about the requirements and processors https://github.com/mi-rack/Rack

5 Likes

Maybe some kind of universal key combo could be implemented, to always show key/pot functions different scripts.

…equalizer next to reverb and compressor
time next to tracks :slight_smile:

Well, I came here with an idea or two but it seems like everyone else had the same ideas. (naming tape recordings & delay)

I think that just goes to show how amazing Norns already is :heart:

I think that it would be excellent to have the option to globally change the brightness of the LED’s on the grid. It would be especially nice for darkened performance environments. That may call for the ability to change the brightness of arc and norns display as well, if that’s even possible. Also, and more importantly; I would love for us to have the ability to globally rotate the grid in addition to the arc (per device, for cable orientation reasons). I know that rotation has been discussed for the grid when used with norns, but I wasn’t sure about arc with norns. I wonder if that’d be useful to more people, or am I the only one running out of desk space in a darkened room??