Norns: ideas

Love this idea. Would love to see it in supercollider on norns too. I could see streaming/sampling other sources (internet radio, freesound.org, etc) being fun as well.

Also thanks for that locussonus link. The “CUMIANA - LUISETTI” stream is wild.

1 Like

unfortunately as I understand it, libsndfile does not support mp3

1 Like

the quark above works by requiring LAME decoder to be installed.

if you’re ok with that kind of dependency, i would just do this by launching additional jack client (like ffplay) and connecting it to the “engine” input ports to the mixer client.

1 Like

I know this is less cool but

I’d just use an audio cable from my phone

13 Likes

Hard to argue with a clunk click cable approach :stuck_out_tongue:

this (stretta’s ‘grainstorm’) please kthxbai.

seriously, though, if i thought i had a chance in Hades of making something like this with my current skill level, i’d be in there with both feet. as it is now, i have a variety of unrelated projects in the pipeline, so even if i thought i had the chops, it would be a while…

tldr; seems like it wouldn’t be that hard for someone who knew what they were doing. we already have SC granular thingies, softcut… originally this was designed with grid + endless encoders in mind… if someone does grab this and run with it, i’d politely ask that they keep us non-arc proles in mind and allow for using the norns encoders as well.

1 Like

Something along the lines of Ableton’s parametric EQ Eight would be a really handy thing to have, especially if you could run a tape recording through it.

1 Like

What are the major differences in the way that grainstorm functions in comparison to say Mangl? Mangl

With midi cc mapped to an external controller you have access to play speed/direction, grain size, position randomization, etc. You may have have seen this already, but thought I’d point you there if not.

@coreyr; Tak! I’ll have a look.

any progress on this? I’m trying to build the same, wondering maybe if I can contribute to yours rather than try to do the same separately

check out the softcut studies— it shows how simple it is to do this! every looper is idiosyncratic, make yours weird!

1 Like

I am embarking wish me favorable winds

2 Likes

wrms is what i was talking about - at load it’s basically a delay going into a loop, but can shape shift.

I’m also working on wrms mods, which is basically an API for personalizing wrms controls and pages w/o writing any new UI code if that’s yr kind of jam. but yes building a looper from scratch is approachable and fun : )

4 Likes

I don’t know the technical differences but they sound different…

1 Like

I guess it’s really the UX which appeals so much. grainstorm is just such a pleasure to interact with… Obviously norns’ display is somewhat limited, but I would think that a clever designer could approximate what grainstorm has.
Also, it seems like the control assignments are different. AFAICT, mangl doesn’t have the controls which grainstorm has - sliding the window over the sample, smoothly changing the window size; they’re similar, but it seems like they have different philosophies about which things to control.
Grainstorm focuses on quickly finding sweet spots in entire samples, and using the usual grain controls + filter to shape the sound.

3 Likes

I’d also like to see a Norns grainstorm

1 Like

You don’t have to use the speed param in mangl. :grin:

Set speed to zero. If you hold alt, arc ring 1 will let you quickly scrub through a file in a search for sweet spots. mangl will continue making grains acording to the other params when you stop searching. Each voice also has a filter for further shaping.

4 Likes

Is there a limit on the samples size?

After watching this talk on this development of a headerless Pi build of Yoshimi, I had the idea of a terminal based polysynth. The concept is something like Teletype but with a focus on waveforms rather than cv/modulation. I think you can do similar things with the teletype expander telexo.

I think it would be cool to be able to issue terminal-esque commands, and scripts rather than twiddling knobs.

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking lately about an OP-Z file management script. Here are the things I think would be useful and doable, organized in order of how much work I’d estimate they’d take:

1. harvest the bounce wav files (and rename them on the way to their destination, as they are all named bounce.wav)
  2. manage sample sets and synth presets
  3. easy backups of projects
  4. create new ‘OP-1’ format sample sets

The only thing that’s kept me from diving in is my general lack of comfort with the proper way to wrangle the mount/unmount of the OP-Z in disk mode without requiring users to SSH in.

Happy to help test and do whatever work I can if someone with more experience wants to give me some guidance!

1 Like