Norns: maiden

norns

maiden is the web based editor for norns.

this thread is for discussion specifically regarding maiden itself - questions, bug reports, suggestions are welcome.

maiden can be accessed by turning on wifi in the system menu (in either router or hotspot mode) then point a browser at http://<ip_address_of_norns>

if you are on a machine that supports mDNS well (a macOS machine for example) you can use norns.local as the host instead of an IP address.

the documentation for much of the Lua API available to scripts can be accessed via <ip_address_of_norns>/doc. there is a desire to better integrate those API docs into maiden itself.

Norns: dust
Approaching: norns

maiden is really slick. I’m enjoying it.

1. Is there a quick comment toggle shortcut (e.g. cmd-/)?
  2. I crash my own lua scripts a lot. I noticed that I have to run another script from maiden and then fix my error and run my script again before Norns will accept it. Is there a better way?
  3. I think the screen.curve documentation is maybe misleading as it looks like the first two x,y are the handles and the last x,y is the destination?

Very impressive folks! I can see many hours in here.

that should “just work”. ⌘ / on the mac. what os and browser are you on?

Any additional detail you could provide would be very welcome. For example copying error messages you see in the REPL here would be helpful.

Out of curiosity are these errors which seem to be triggered by code run as part of the init or cleanup functions?

Thanks for looking guys!
@ppqq: Interesting. I am using safari 11.1.1 on 10.13.5 and I can’t seem to get it to work (cmd-/). I will try again with chrome tomorrow.
@ngwese: Not sure if this is useful but I get the following:`

norns.script.load("af/waves")
# script load
# cleanup
# script clear
### SCRIPT ERROR: load fail
/home/we/dust/scripts/af/waves:28: syntax error near 'screen'
<ok>
norns.script.load("af/waves")
# script load
# cleanup
# script clear
# script run
# script init
reconnecting grid...
grid.reconnect (default)
reconnecting midi...
<ok>

Which is from causing my script to fail by syntax error, running it and then correcting it, and running it again. Maiden seems to be responding ok but norns is stuck in the Error Load screen and won’t respond to new runs from Maiden. As mentioned previously, I’ll have to select another working script, run that, and reselect my own script and run again.

hmmm. oddly, it works for me here (also 11.1.1). would be very curious about chrome (which also works for me).

@ngwese, @tehn : maybe time to break out a maiden thread?

This helps; I’ve seen similar problems on occasion and I know there is ongoing work to make aspects of the loading and cleanup more robust.

I just tested Safari 11.1 on 10.13.4 and cmd-/ is working. That said I have seen the keyboard shortcuts fail when portions of the maiden ui other than the editor have focus. There isn’t really anything right now to indicate focus and occasionally I’ve found myself having to click in the editor again for things to work…

i dont know if this is the right place to ask this but i am getting an error when i try to build maiden

shree@shree-linux2:~/maiden$ go build
main.go:14:2: cannot find package “github.com/gin-gonic/gin” in any of:
/usr/lib/go-1.6/src/github.com/gin-gonic/gin (from $GOROOT)
/home/shree/go/src/github.com/gin-gonic/gin (from $GOPATH)

[WARN] The name listed in the config file (github.com/ngwese/maiden) does not match the current location (.)
i wonder if this is why??

glide install worked fine but the go build gives
…/go/src/github.com/gin-gonic/gin/context.go:20:2: cannot find package “github.com/gin-contrib/sse” in any of:
/home/shree/go/src/github.com/gin-gonic/gin/vendor/github.com/gin-contrib/sse (vendor tree)
/home/shree/go/src/vendor/github.com/gin-contrib/sse
/usr/lib/go-1.6/src/github.com/gin-contrib/sse (from $GOROOT)
/home/shree/go/src/github.com/gin-contrib/sse (from $GOPATH)
…/go/src/github.com/gin-gonic/gin/binding/protobuf.go:11:2: cannot find package “github.com/golang/protobuf/proto” in any of:
/home/shree/go/src/github.com/gin-gonic/gin/vendor/github.com/golang/protobuf/proto (vendor tree)
/home/shree/go/src/vendor/github.com/golang/protobuf/proto
/usr/lib/go-1.6/src/github.com/golang/protobuf/proto (from $GOROOT)
/home/shree/go/src/github.com/golang/protobuf/proto (from $GOPATH)
…/go/src/github.com/gin-gonic/gin/logger.go:13:2: cannot find package “github.com/mattn/go-isatty” in any of:
/home/shree/go/src/github.com/gin-gonic/gin/vendor/github.com/mattn/go-isatty (vendor tree)
/home/shree/go/src/vendor/github.com/mattn/go-isatty
/usr/lib/go-1.6/src/github.com/mattn/go-isatty (from $GOROOT)
/home/shree/go/src/github.com/mattn/go-isatty (from $GOPATH)
…/go/src/github.com/gin-gonic/gin/binding/msgpack.go:12:2: cannot find package “github.com/ugorji/go/codec” in any of:
/home/shree/go/src/github.com/gin-gonic/gin/vendor/github.com/ugorji/go/codec (vendor tree)
/home/shree/go/src/vendor/github.com/ugorji/go/codec
/usr/lib/go-1.6/src/github.com/ugorji/go/codec (from $GOROOT)
/home/shree/go/src/github.com/ugorji/go/codec (from $GOPATH)
…/go/src/github.com/gin-gonic/gin/binding/default_validator.go:11:2: cannot find package “gopkg.in/go-playground/validator.v8” in any of:
/home/shree/go/src/github.com/gin-gonic/gin/vendor/gopkg.in/go-playground/validator.v8 (vendor tree)
/home/shree/go/src/vendor/gopkg.in/go-playground/validator.v8
/usr/lib/go-1.6/src/gopkg.in/go-playground/validator.v8 (from $GOROOT)
/home/shree/go/src/gopkg.in/go-playground/validator.v8 (from $GOPATH)
…/go/src/github.com/gin-gonic/gin/render/yaml.go:10:2: cannot find package “gopkg.in/yaml.v2” in any of:
/home/shree/go/src/github.com/gin-gonic/gin/vendor/gopkg.in/yaml.v2 (vendor tree)
/home/shree/go/src/vendor/gopkg.in/yaml.v2
/usr/lib/go-1.6/src/gopkg.in/yaml.v2 (from $GOROOT)
/home/shree/go/src/gopkg.in/yaml.v2 (from $GOPATH)

but i will wait because go /glide are new for me and i am not 100% sure i have not effed something up

pp

go is very specific about the directory structure of the source code - if one doesn’t have a go workspace setup builds fail quite spectacularly. The maiden readme mentions setting up $GOPATH, I can see in the first attempt at building it wasn’t setup but in the second attempt it was?

I’ve updated the README for the repo to include instructions on using go get (which is usable now that the repo is public). Hopefully the new instructions will help.

This warning can be safely ignored. I have however also updated the glide.yaml file to point at the new public repo in the monome organization on github so if you have used go get or directly cloned the github.com/monome/maiden.git repo the warning should be gone.

i started fresh but after a go get i now get

_/home/shree/go/maiden

./main.go:162: file.Size undefined (type *multipart.FileHeader has no field or method Size)
./main.go:240: undefined: url.PathEscape

i am not sure what i am doing incorrectly

Okay let’s check a few things, which version of go do you have installed?

I’m using 1.10.2 (the most current version)

% go version
go version go1.10.2 darwin/amd64

Assuming your “go workspace” is ~/go then source tree for maiden should be in ~/go/src/github.com/monome/maiden.

You can achieve this by using go get -d github.com/monome/maiden or manually create the directory and clone:

mkdir -pv ~/go/src/github.com/monome && cd ~/go/src/github.com/monome && git clone https://github.com/monome/maiden.git

…then once the source directory is in the right place, cd into that directory and run:
glide install

(aside: I’m using version 0.13.1 of glide)

…from there a build should work. If it doesn’t consider setting the GOPATH environment to point at ~/go and try again.

thank you
I’ll try these steps and see what i get

do i run go build last right?

shree@shree-linux2:~/go$ go version
go version go1.6.2 linux/amd64

go is in /home/shree/go so yes ~/

coudl it be the version of go i guess then?

github.com/monome/maiden

./main.go:169: file.Size undefined (type *multipart.FileHeader has no field or method Size)
./main.go:240: undefined: url.PathEscape

same final thing

shree@shree-linux2:~/go/src/github.com$ echo $GOPATH
/home/shree/go

I guess I’d recommend upgrading to a more current version of go. Version 1.6 is a little over 2 years old.

that was it, thank you!

patrick

Btw
app builds fine i already had node and yarn installed and a bunch of other node stuff so that was the easiest part
Thanks again for the guidance, i have never used go/glide before it’s nice once you get the feel of it

This isn’t working for me. Does it work for anyone else?

@shreeswifty could you update the maiden readme with any additional relevant information that you found was needed?