Norns: maiden

Hi, I am about to achieve a monome norms (the shield kit has arrived :package:, but I need to get it assembled), so I ask other people’s experiences: how is maiden on the screens of mobile smartphones? From what I have seen of maiden have been desktop UI design, but I am hoping it adapts to mobile screens more or less gracefully or ay least works somehow maybe with some kind of zooming etc.

Experiences, or maybe screenshots someone? :iphone:

It works but the experience is not optimal in various ways. I wouldn’t anticipate too much difficulty browsing, installing, and running scripts.

Aspects of the app which are less mobile or touch friendly include:

• Small buttons sized for clicking, not fingers
  • File explorer buttons and scroll bars show/hide when they are hovered over (I don’t remember how they behave in a mobile browser off the top of my head)
  • Inconvenient resizing behavior when an on screen keyboard pops up.

For those inclined to contribute PRs to improve these aspects of the app when running on mobile devices would be welcome.

1 Like

Lovely, thank you. I am looking forward to getting norns going on (it will accompany my OP-Z in my pocket-orchestra), and also serve as a SuperCollider for livecoding SynthDefs in sclang from the maiden REPL I hope, and I have some concepts for kind of “intended” style norns programs too.

A smartphone screenshot of the REPL view would be interesting.

The aim of maiden is to provide an environment to author lua scripts for the control half of the norns software stack and provide some basic means of interacting with those scripts via the REPL. While it is possible to edit supercollider files within maiden it is by no means a substitute for the supercollider IDE.

I believe it is common, if not more common, for people to develop new SC engines within the full supercollider environment on a desktop then copy them over after the SC code has been debugged.

Regarding using a smart phone - I pulled up maiden on my phone and with the limited screen size I can’t see as being useful for anything beyond installing or updating scripts/projects in a pinch.

2 Likes

not a coder, and still figuring out my way around lines, but is this thread the best place to ask about features that may not currently exist in maiden or more specifically the package manager?

1 Like

Yes this is a fine place to talk about a features, bugs, or anything maiden related.

cool, thx @ngwese! i’m really enjoying the whole norns ecosystem, but one thing i’m not aware of is how to tell when new scripts get added to the community section of ‘available’. right now i just look through at all the scripts i haven’t installed already and try and remember if i’ve tried them out or not, or if they look new.

also it i’m not sure how to know when a script i already have installed has one or more updates from what i have installed.

i’m not really a coder so i’m not sure if its appropriate to put out suggestions or feature requests for something that is free and very clearly a labor of love and passion.

thanks for your time!

Unfortunately at the moment there isn’t a way to tell what is new. The best indicator of newness or updates is actually the activity here on the forum.

The package/script/project manager isn’t terribly sophisticated. All maiden knows is that there are one or more catalog files that it can download which list the available scripts (one file per section on the available page). One thing which is definitely not captured right now is when (in calendar time) a script was added to the catalog - the absence of that information is the biggest reason why maiden can’t provide a view into what is new.

Knowing when there are script updates has similar challenges. A conscious decision was made back when the project manager was built to avoid requiring all the scripts be stored in a specific place and to avoid requiring authors to version their works. The idea was to allow script authors to share via any service/host they were comfortable with as long as the files were publicly downloadable. One consequence of that choice was that maiden doesn’t have much visibility into when things change. In practice I periodically hit the update all button (or one of the script specific update buttons) on the installed page.

I wouldn’t worry about that. Suggestions and feature requests are always welcome, they help to shape how parts of the system evolve and can serve as inspiration for people who want to get more deeply involved.

6 Likes

thank you for your kind and insightful words, and quick response @ngwese!

I’ve recently got a Norns Shield (from the Monome kit), which is all working great, and updated to the newest OS.

I can connect to Maiden fine, and install scripts. But after ‘refreshing’ available scripts, the most recent scripts don’t appear e.g. Kolor or Flora.

If anyone could shed any light on why this might be, that’d be great. Thanks

Welcome to the world of Norns. :slight_smile:
Not all scripts are available in Maiden but there is ways to place these manually, the top entry of Kolor has directions listed under “download”.
For Flora there is a download link and you could use Cyberduck but shouldn’t and do this instead, to copy the contents to the correct place (dust/data). Remember to get rid of the “-master” in the folder name.
For Flora entering this into maiden might also work ;install https://github.com/jaseknighter/flora

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes very exciting to have it, just overwhelmed with the options currently!

I realise you can download them seperately, and I did manage to get Flora working this way.
I was just trying to workout why these scripts weren’t appearing, as the creator of Flora told me that both these scripts should definitely be on Maiden, and I most likley have an issue my end. Just trrying to figure out what the issue may be.

Hm, I cannot check right now, but can you try a general update of your norns (system) first?
The thing is: Maiden should now automatically update (you used to have to press the update circles for community scripts before in Maiden) and then present you with a list of available scripts.

I did already update my norns to the newest version, but I will try it again.

Having looked at the main community file at norns-community/community.json at master · monome/norns-community · GitHub, it appears my list it not matching this up-to-date list.

Try in an incognito/private window, could be a cache issue ?

2 Likes

please— everyone— the much easier way of transferring files is via samba, as indicated in the docs. please stop suggesting SFTP/cyberduck, it’s a total pain in comparison (if you don’t already have cyberduck/etc, which most people don’t).

for script downloading, ;install absolutely the best way if something is not in the catalog, please let this be the only recommendation onwards.

6 Likes

Thanks. Tried that too. Plus tried on different computers. Feel like I’m missing something obvious.

Are you refreshing the right part of maiden? There’s both ‘base’ and ‘community’ that can be refeshed, see screenshot attached.

Ok, edited my post above.