Norns: mlr

No effects. Going straight into abelton.

2 Likes

Have you tried reseting the audio? I’m not sure that I’ve had these precise symptoms, but if it’s ever misbehaving resetting the audio fixes it for me.

I have. Gonna let it sleep and come back to it.

1 Like

can you describe more precisely what’s connected and then the process to replicate the loud noise?

certainly the reverb needs to be off— this is a know CPU overutilization issue that is fixed in the new update).

Me too - 20 chrs……

I have an OP-1 running a sequence of sampled piano notes into Norns which is running MLR and being controlled by Grid. While running the sequence I’m making cuts on the cuts page and switching back the the first page (playback page). When I make keys presses on the section to the left of tempo control I get a high frequency and or feedback. I’m actually not sure what this particular parameter section is doing or supposed to be doing…( reverse?) but as I said it’s not doing anything except creating this feedback. The same thing happens in the pattern page. I can load clips but once I get to about clip 9 or 10 (far right top row on grids in pattern mode) the same feedback occurs. I’m still getting a feel for the layout of MLR on grids. I’m wondering is it possible I’m playing back on a channel that is also recording when layering clips? Also all internal effects from Norns are disabled and I’m running direct via hi-z input into an Apollo Twin MKII with abelton as DAW.

I really need to try this out on my 64 next week.

Hm. Getting some weird bugs when I try to run the mlr64.lua. Seems to have something to do with lua itself(or is this because I am running Maiden 0.12 on Norns 1.xx?).

error code:

# script init

### SCRIPT ERROR: init

/home/we/norns/lua/params/option.lua:17: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)

stack traceback:

/home/we/norns/lua/norns.lua:179: in function </home/we/norns/lua/norns.lua:179>

[C]: in function 'pairs'

/home/we/norns/lua/params/option.lua:17: in function 'params/option.new'

/home/we/norns/lua/paramset.lua:96: in function 'paramset.add_option'

/home/we/dust/scripts/custom64/mlr64.lua:318: in function 'init'

/home/we/norns/lua/script.lua:70: in function 'script.init'

[C]: in function 'xpcall'

/home/we/norns/lua/norns.lua:180: in field 'try'

/home/we/norns/lua/engine.lua:85: in function </home/we/norns/lua/engine.lua:84>

READING PMAP

@noiserock

looks to me like the gist is out of date, it’s using an function signature for param:add_option:
[ https://github.com/monome/norns/blame/44ebdb1f036fc8e71c133310107019f64c49bed5/lua/paramset.lua#L58 ]

vs
[ https://github.com/monome/dust/blob/master/scripts/tehn/mlr.lua#L341 ]

(i think this extra “id” vs “name” was added so that “name” can contain spaces, or something)

@pinkslater hard to understand exactly what is the matter but seems likely it’s one of several bugs in the 1.x softcut engine. for example, you could be recording with modulated rate which makes gross noises. this is fixed in 2.0

1 Like

thanks. I got it semi-working with just updating the newest mlr code based on the changes @okyeron made. Still need to fine tune it, as the grid does not draw correctly based on button presses in the cut menu.
But at least it’s some progress :slight_smile:

Might also be worth waiting until 2.0 mlr is out and about.

mlr64.lua (20.6 KB)

any update on potential stereo capabilities? my favorite thing to do with MLR is piano mangling, and summing my L-R mic pair to mono makes things sound not so great.

5 Likes

I pray for stereo mlr too

4 Likes

Such a paradox that an app called mLR doesn’t have stereo!

6 Likes

good news: softcut now supports stereo.

bad news: i’ve had no time at all to explore this feature.

the 2.0 mlr is ported to softcut so enjoys all of the new quality improvements-- ie non-aliased speed scaling and ability to overdub at all sorts of speeds etc. i’ve increased the track count back to 6 (CPU improvements can handle it). i’ve also added PAN parameters.

there’s more i’d like to do and once things settle down. stereo option, mute groups, etc.

there’s currently a small bug with the playhead grid animation updating slightly off. i’m hoping to look at that prior to 2.0 release today but it may have to wait a minute.

14 Likes

This is all exciting stuff!

just to clarify, are the ins currently summed to mono, then the signal output in stereo?

correct.

later versions will have more configuration with input routing. softcut input manipulation (including input from engines!) is very dynamic.

10 Likes

Oh my…

3 Likes

continued conversation at Mlr (norns)