Norns: Monitor level issue on script load

I (and a few users) have been stumped by a rather weird problem when loading the latest version of my script Compass (v3.0). Despite the global LEVELS page indicating that monitoring is fully turned up after booting/soft-reset, no incoming audio seems to pass through. If I simply adjust the monitor level on the LEVELS page (like turning it down/back up a hair), everything then works just fine.

From my testing, this seems to have started after installing the latest norns update (200328). Also of note: users have reported that this seems specific to Compass – if they load another script, monitoring seems to work fine there.

I don’t recall making any changes to my script that would have caused this, but all the code is here:

I understand that I could probably set audio:level_monitor() from init to (hopefully) mitigate this, but I’m curious as to why it might be happening in the first place. I’m sure it’s something simple, but I can’t figure out what I might be overlooking.

Thanks!

something must be up with the new param menu

will take a look

1 Like

Somewhat related (and apologies if this is too much of a distraction) – my script turns off monitoring (and reverb and compression) during its init: https://github.com/21echoes/pedalboard/blob/master/pedalboard.lua#L49-L54 because its whole purpose is to do FX processing on that input (and leaving monitoring on would basically be a duplicated dry signal). I would really love to be able to, on cleanup(), set monitoring, reverb, and compression back to whatever the user had them at before they started my script. H̶o̶w̶e̶v̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶f̶a̶r̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶t̶e̶l̶l̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶’̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶s̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶(̶r̶e̶a̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶̶n̶o̶r̶n̶s̶̶ ̶c̶o̶d̶e̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶e̶.̶g̶.̶ ̶̶a̶u̶d̶i̶o̶.̶l̶e̶v̶e̶l̶_̶m̶o̶n̶i̶t̶o̶r̶̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶s̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶a̶m̶s̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶a̶l̶k̶s̶ ̶d̶i̶r̶e̶c̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶̶C̶r̶o̶n̶e̶̶)̶. I’m actually a bit worried that these bug reports Olivier’s getting may even be my fault, as mine / other scripts like mine are turning some of these shared settings off, and users are blaming Compass instead of us :zipper_mouth_face:

I̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶’̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶l̶e̶m̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶l̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶a̶c̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶L̶E̶V̶E̶L̶S̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶s̶ ̶̶m̶o̶n̶̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶t̶’̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶(̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶r̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶b̶u̶g̶ ̶r̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶i̶m̶p̶l̶y̶:̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶i̶p̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶̶i̶n̶i̶t̶ ̶̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶̶a̶u̶d̶i̶o̶.̶l̶e̶v̶e̶l̶_̶m̶o̶n̶i̶t̶o̶r̶(̶0̶.̶0̶)̶̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶L̶E̶V̶E̶L̶S̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶e̶e̶n̶)̶

EDIT: reading more, it looks like I hadn’t git pulled norns recently, so I missed that e.g. monitor_level is a param I can use. I’ll update my script to read those values on init, save them in variables, then set them back to where they were in cleanup :+1: This also seems to fix the issue where changing the monitor level didn’t update the LEVELS screen.

EDIT 2: Alright, Pedalboard v1.0.1 is up now, which restores monitoring, reverb, and compression to where they were before Pedalboard was launched :+1: https://github.com/21echoes/pedalboard/commit/4f23a3b08afa8d1e2895c9073b045de351c2a6d7

2 Likes

I experienced this with cheat codes yesterday

1 Like