Norns Mother (Organelle Patches on Norns)

You have to edit the CC numbers manually in mother.pd (midi section)

2 Likes

So pokehex is definitely NOT working on fates as it does on organelle – but this dude has it working like it does on the organelle – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N1F9MoC3xE&ab_channel=mlogger

–setting the sample points does nada – i can still scroll through the pokemon and play their full sounds with button 1. I dropped the zip via sftp, not sure what I am doing wrong. other organelle patches working fine. should i redo my sidekick install? @TheTechnobear? anyone else with full pokehex functionality? i can use the encoders to set the sample points but it doesnt loop (or change the sound at all) like on organelle. fates is on a pi4b – i just deleted and added the patch same behavior

apt show nornsmother
Package: nornsmother
Version: 0.3.2
Priority: optional
Section: sound
Maintainer: Oxbown oxbown@icloud.com
Installed-Size: unknown
Depends: sidekick (>= 0.2.0-5)
Download-Size: unknown
APT-Manual-Installed: yes
APT-Sources: /var/lib/dpkg/status
Description: Organelle patches on Norns via Sidekick.
See https://github.com/oxbown/NornsMother/ for more information

1 Like

see how on the organelle it is lit up (it is looping) — on fates that functionality and the scenes functionality which would be menu encoder press on organelle (3+1 buttons on fates) doesn’t work either

it is like loop.pd and the rest inside of pokehex arent working — but i can still play the samples.

1 Like

"So pokehex is definitely NOT working on fates as it does on organelle – but this dude has it working like it does on the organelle – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N1F9MoC3xE&ab_channel=mlogger "

@memory
What I do is :
drop the unzipped folder in home/we/sidekick/patches/Organelle
in the main menu - press “Refresh Menu”
Then goto the Organelle folder and start the patch.
I do not load Orac to play the script.

The only difference here is I’m not on the latest version of Norns Mother

2 Likes

@mlogger that is exactly what i did except i think i am on the latest version of norns mother – mind telling me what version you are running?

and is there any advice on downgrading my version of norns mother?

Not sure were to find that info tbh on which version I have.

Anyway to get hdmi out working on this so we can edit pure data patches directly on the fates dac(I guess maybe norns doesn’t have hdmi out) like you would the organelle?
I’ve tried to run it and just got some illegible errors that show up on the fates screen. Nothing shows on the monitor.

3 Likes

There reference to it in this video (@6:50 mins) going through Orac but I have never tried. https://youtu.be/Ukzc3W_lcjk

@TheTechnobear

The video says that you should be able to just plug hdmi into fates and get a programming interface. It has a method to program for norns and fates I guess I will use that, but it would be much better to use hdmi from the fates directly.

There’s some framebuffer shenanigans which depend on which Pi you’re using along with some dependencies which might not be installed (x-windows stuff).

I can do some poking at it later in the week.

If you have a computer and if you can ssh into your Pi, it could be more practical to do this remotely via VNC, that way you can directly edit the patch on your pc.
There is a nice how to on @TheTechnobear s sidekick project:
https://github.com/TheTechnobear/NuiLite/wiki/Using-VNC

1 Like

Hi there folks,
first up -> what a great piece of work this is! Thanks for taking the time and effort to develop this nice patch!
I’m running the great Norns mother patch with the awesome “euclidean rhythms” https://www.critterandguitari.com/organelle-patches/euclidean-rhythms patch for the Organelle. The norns recieves the clock and is syncing up nicely, but sadly the midi send isn’t working. There is no midi data sent at all - I changed the midi.txt to 8 8 16 16 (recieve on 8 - send on 16) but sadly it’s not sending any. The midi send of the patch works flawlessly when run on the original Organelle, so the patch doesn’t seem to be the problem. Has anybody any idea what could be the issue here?
Thank you all very much :slight_smile:
Julian

Hello again. Can anyone advise me as to the best way of uninstalling patches? I would like to remove some that are not working… Should I just delete them from the folder? Also, can anyone tell me what the [Organelle] folder’s original contents were? I want to delete all patches and start anew but I am afraid to delete some original content (I remember there were a few files in there before I started adding patches…) Thank you

So in case anyone’s running into similar issues - I launched the patch while ssh’ing into the norns and saw that on startup it couldn’t find the amidiauto and therefore couldn’t assign the channels. I installed it and it now works. The only issue I’m having is that the midi channeling ist not working right - it recieves on the channel specified in the midi.txt, but only sends on channel 1. Has someone experienced this before?

Yo @Oxbown !

revisiting this

Should CC28 expect to be a 0-127 value or a delta?

hacking with @Gerald_Stevens today and we made a Mother compatible midi mode for the OMX-27. :grin:

Wondering if there are other “Mother” patches that expect different things to emulate the encoder input. Gotta go poke around on the C&G forum and see…

EDIT:
Seems like the Expression and Foot switch CCs are somewhat out of sync with what the organelle does… and that overlaps on CC26

FWIW - here’s the Organelle MIDI info. The C&G Desktop Mother patch does the same

The Pedal Port
A pedal connected to the Organelle’s Pedal port transmits two sets of “control change” messages.
Controller number 64 transmits a controller value of 0 (zero) for any received signal below 64, and a controller value of 127 is sent for any received signal of 64 or above. This discrete, threshold behavior is particularly good for sustain-/damper-style pedals.
Controller number 26 transmits continuous values. While the general range would be from 0 (zero) to 127, the exact range of values may vary based on the pedal connected. This continuous behavior is ideal for an expression-type pedal.

Is anyone out there using the footswitch or expression CC inputs?

1 Like

Having a ton of fun with Norns Mother and revisiting some of the older Organelle patches I remember from when I had one! Was curious if anyone else had tried to get fluidLoops | Patchstorage working on Norns Mother yet or knows what it might take? Would love to have some soundfonts at my disposal on my shield even if via Norns Mother and not natively.

Could someone share the touch osc templates? Can’t seem to locate them…thanks!

Has there been any update on if this mode works with an op-1 hooked up to a norns shield, specifically getting the encoders working with op-1 knobs?

// I guess this is simpler than I originally thought. You can use the keys on the op-1 and the knobs on the norns, right? I think I’ll try to set this up tonight and play around with it.

2 Likes

Yes, this works. Used it with op1 yesterday

1 Like