norns: new image 220306

Ah, that’s a shame. I will hold off until the next release, in that case, and work out an alternative, in the meantime.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, anyway.

1 Like

fwiw the update takes less than a minute. just ssh in, cd to the into the norns directory and:

git pull origin main
git submodule update --init --recursive
./waf configure
./waf

then restart

i’ve been running it for a week and it is stable

2 Likes

use

./waf configure --release
./waf build --release
2 Likes

Hey I’m rolling with a pi 4 shield I just got two months ago from monome . Was working did the update all I get is jack fail. No boot sound reflashed sd still nada.

if it persists after a reflash - sounds like you might be using the wrong firmware?

see here: norns: new image 220306 - #14 by dan_derks

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I’m trying to connect my neighbours Keystation 49es to my Norns Shield (latest version [image from this thread], on a Rpi3) to try me some Sacred Cyborg Harmony <3 aaaand it’s coming up in amidi but not in the Norns menu. What can I do?

If you’re talking about the menu for the midi target in the script itself, make sure you start the script after the external Norns os already knows about your midi device. The script reads the Norns list of midi devices on startup.

1 Like

The device is not showing up under SYSTEM > MIDI… so that’s not it!

Excellent idea! I want to connect to my neighbors Bluetooth speaker :loud_sound::rofl:

3 Likes

btw am I missing some info here? I get this is a joke, but am I trying to connect a peripheral which is def. unsupported? (like a BT speaker)?

it should be supported as it looks like a class compliant USBMID device. but there could possibly something strange about that particular device.

from the command line - look at aconnect -l rather than amidi -l

You can also check lsusb and then lsusb -v to see how the device is presenting itself.

In theory you should get a message in the Maiden REPL window when you plug the keyboard in.

You could also try using a powered USB hub just in case the keyboard is trying to pull more power than the pi can provide (wild guess).

1 Like

Thanks! Looking at Matron while plugging in gave the following error:

device_monitor(): adding midi device Keystation 49es

device_monitor(): adding midi device Keystation 49es

ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c:235:(snd_rawmidi_hw_open)

open /dev/snd/midiC1D0 failed

: No such device

failed to open alsa device hw:1,0,0

dev_list_add: error allocating device data

Thanks for responding. My sheild says 211028 in the top left corner. I bought it in march I assume that it is the revision build. Using raspberry pi imager. Tried twice once with each pi 4 build still jack fail. Any help appreciated and thank you.

sorry to hear about the continued trouble! :confused:
just to confirm, a Pi4 on the 211028 board needs: https://github.com/monome/norns-image/releases/download/220306/norns220306-shield-pi4-cs4271.tgz

after flashing the card again for good measure, please make sure to disconnect any connected USB devices while booting the shield – there’s the hotfix update which you’ll be able to get after it boots without the jack_fail via SYSTEM > UPDATE, but the fresh image is the version right before that.

beyond that, if you received the full Pi4 bundle from us + you’re using the PSU we included in that shipment, the last ditch at-home troubleshooting would be to test with a different SD card. otherwise, happy to swap + further troubleshoot via email: help@monome.org

1 Like

I have a similar situation, using a 8gb SD card and have definitely expanded it, have 3gb of audio and a few 100mb of code and data, but it says I have 6.1g used and only like 600mb left in dev/root/

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       7.0G  6.1G  604M  92% /
devtmpfs        420M     0  420M   0% /dev
tmpfs           452M  107M  346M  24% /dev/shm
tmpfs           181M  1.6M  180M   1% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
/dev/mmcblk0p1  253M   69M  184M  28% /boot
tmpfs            91M     0   91M   0% /run/user/1000

Do you by chance have mx.sample installed with a bunch of the available instruments downloaded? I couldn’t figure out where all my storage went and it was definitely instrument samples I never use.

Edit: guess that should just be in the audio directory though

Yeah that’s in Audio and I have only downloaded a few on my fresh install of norns

just got at new 32gb card anyway so gonna make another fresh start :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you checked the size of the system logs? I just had my norns shield completely fill its storage because of excessive logging. In a ssh terminal I went to /var/log and then did ls -lahS. In my case the kern.log was several gigs, filled with lines like this:

May  8 00:00:00 norns kernel: [204926.953567] usb 1-1.2: urb status -32

With thanks to help from @dan_derks it seems this logging is related to some fault (cable?) in the usb connection. I cleared the logs and reclaimed the space.

1 Like

ah interesting thanks, will check that when I put the old card back in.

1 Like

my intention was for the log configuration to limit the size of logs, but something may be failing. i can look at this. in the meantime, if you need to clear up space by deleting logs, feel free to:

sudo rm -rf /var/log/*

(after ssh’ing in, or type os.execute("sudo rm -rf /var/log/*") in maiden)

6 Likes