Norns not responding/unable to select scripts

Having trouble with my norns today. Was working fine yesterday but when powering on today I’m not able to select scrips, the main screen says “none”, and buttons are acting strange. K3 is not working when trying to select a script, and I’m also unable to see the full list of installed scripts (I can see them in maiden).
When pressing K2 on main window it says that my disc is full, which seems strange…I’ve checked the disk and I only have a few small audio files stored.
I’ve done restart, reset, sleep a couple of times but no luck

I’m on 221214, stock norns

matron gives me this when pressing k3 on select

lua: 
/home/we/norns/lua/core/menu/select.lua:79: attempt to index a nil value (field '?')
stack traceback:
	/home/we/norns/lua/core/menu/select.lua:79: in function 'core/menu/select.key'
	/home/we/norns/lua/core/menu.lua:147: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/menu.lua:124>
>>

Disks can be full without a lot of audio, actually and perhaps surprisingly. I’ve had the logs grow out of proportion.

Are you possibly familiar with GNU/Linux/Ubuntu/Unix system administration¹? If someone suggested you “ssh in and df /var/log”, would that mean anything to you?

¹ norns is a huge computer actually; looks may lie :wink:

1 Like

i’m afraid i’m not too familiar with that. i did generate a system log file, but that’s perhaps not the same?

No worries. norns is a little huge computer, and as parts of it’s normal operation it keeps a variety of very useful logs of its operation. Usual laptop/desktop computers do this too. It’s like a little journal or a diary for computer :slight_smile:

These standard logs are indeed separate from generating system log file on norns, as you said. Normally these standard logs are completely negligible in size and periodically cleaned up by the system. But some norns scripts or some errors can inflate them. This has happened to my norns – hence that’s my guess.

If this is the case, the solution will be easy.

Let’s check whether or not this is the case in your current situation. Can you please run the following two commands in your Maiden webinterface to norns, and copy-paste the output of both here on the forum?

os.execute("df")

and

os.execute("du -hs /var/log")

Thanks.

2 Likes

os.execute

os.execute(“df”)
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 3461056 3368324 0 100% /
devtmpfs 466840 0 466840 0% /dev
tmpfs 500120 109128 390992 22% /dev/shm
tmpfs 200052 1464 198588 1% /run
tmpfs 5120 4 5116 1% /run/lock
/dev/mmcblk0p1 258095 70321 187774 28% /boot
true exit 0

os.execute("du -hs /var/log")

os.execute(“du -hs /var/log”)
du: cannot read directory ‘/var/log/samba/cores’
: Permission denied
du: cannot read directory ‘/var/log/private’
: Permission denied
1.2G /var/log
nil exit 1

Perfect. Indeed the disk is full as you said in your original post, and this is due to log pileup as I suspected. You have a 4GB disk which is fine, but logs have grown to 1.2 gigabytes. Normally it’s less than 0.2 GB or something. The normal log cleaning routine hasn’t worked (this was an issue before norns: update 221214. Or perhaps something has caused a lot of log output in the past few days. I’ve seen a crashed jack do this, and some scripts might also do it if left running for a long time.

Please run this command to clean up (“vacuum”) the accumulated logs, and restart norns.

os.execute("sudo journalctl --vacuum-size=100M")

Hopefully then your norns will be able to load scripts as usual. Let me know if that helps :slight_smile:

[PS. actually for triage it would be interesting to take a look at those logs and maybe get to a cause, but oh well.]

2 Likes

interesting! didn’t seem to help though. still not able to select anything…

did another os.execute(“df”)

os.execute("df")

os.execute(“df”)
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 3461056 3131100 154900 96% /
devtmpfs 466840 0 466840 0% /dev
tmpfs 500120 109128 390992 22% /dev/shm
tmpfs 200052 1464 198588 1% /run
tmpfs 5120 4 5116 1% /run/lock
/dev/mmcblk0p1 258095 70321 187774 28% /boot
true exit 0

Hmm. Your disk is no longer full – there is now 150MB of space for things to work. Great! But why doesn’t it? I need to dig my brain if I remember how I recovered from similar situations… althought I am quite sure just freeing up disk (as you did) was enough… :confused:

1 Like

a reset cleared it! fantastic, thanks @xmacex :blue_heart:

now the question is, how to clear out more space? flash the disk?

1 Like

Yes you are running quite tight. What’s in your audio folder? wav files (e.g. tape recordings) get huge quick. Maybe move them over to a computer?

I don’t think flashing is a good way to manage space, but I think some people like or are used to to reflashing/reseting their various devices.

I only have a few light audio files stored, no tape files, so I don’t know why there’s so little space left

You can always use the os.execute("du -hs directory")to investigate how much space a directory hierarchy takes. du, short for “disk usage”, is a basic unix command to estimate file space usage. Of course this is quite hard to interpret without an idea how much a directory should take.

All the norns stuff lives in the dust/ subdirectory on norns. Code itself takes basically no space at all (imagine grains of sand in Sahara), but I know some scripts come with samples, and some also record audio.

What do os.execute("du -hs dust") and os.execute("du -hs dust/audio") inform you? (wups actually maybe the working directory of maiden is already dust/, so if the two above yields a “no such file” error, the commands would be os.execute("du -hs .") and os.execute("du -hs audio"), respectively.

A 4GB disk isn’t a lot of space to work with given that the operating system and other goodies :sparkles: take a a part of it. I actually have not looked how much the norns image uses. But 4GB should be workable without loads of audio files, as I gather you’ve done so far :slight_smile:

Anyone else have experience with norns on a 4GB disk?

1 Like

do you use mx.samples? if you have a lot of samples installed it can really eat up a lot of space

1 Like

haven’t been using that lately and don’t have script+samples on my norns currently

1 Like

ended up flashing the disk and everything is back to normal :slight_smile: some interesting notes in this thread for future travelers

2 Likes

if you want to see more detailed disk usage in dust particularly:

os.execute("du -h -d 2 /home/we/dust")

ps. log issues should’ve been solved in the recent update

1 Like