Norns on Raspberry Pi

norns

Ok. Got it running now. Well, pi is coming up, can access via ssh.

scsynth, matron, wrapper is running.

next would be to get the SPI OLED running and adding encoders and buttons.

How do you test/play with it without Display and Encoders?
thanks a lot!

Edit: I forgot to mention that also sound is coming out…:blush:…(the start patch)

Norns uses a spi oled correct? your previous comment about getting a i2c oled confused me a bit. I have one with a sh1106 driver… but no idea where to start setting that up! so following :slight_smile:

haha yes I was confused to…lol…yes it has a spi oled.

I have a cheap 7pin aliexpress spi oled which I try to get running…but no success until now…

I was wondering why maiden isn’t working. so I executed

/home/we/maiden/maiden -fd 3 -app ./app/build -data /home/we/dust -doc /home/we/norns/doc

by hand and get:

maiden (0.0.2)
http: fd 3
app: ./app/build
data: data/
doc: doc/
listen error: file file+net http: fcntl: bad file descriptor

I am working on this (getting a cheap chinese SPI OLD working) right now.

Problem I ran into is the SH1106 chip OLED i have isn’t supported while the SSD1306 (adafruit or similar) is supported.

This reddit article has a good starting place to get an SPI OLED to display the framebuffer:

Wow. Thank you. Gonna try this tomorrow!
Do I have to tell matron to use /dev/tty0 instead of /dev/fb0?

Not there yet. I just now get my SH1106 display working!

Now to install all the norns stuff

I think you use /dev/fb0 - the tty stuff in that page is just an example to get the command line to the framebuffer

A couple quick notes on your install notes.

Slight confusion - I’m not finding the exact wording for menuconfig items. Where is CPU Governor? And does “Full Preemptive” mean “Preemption Model (Preemptible Kernel (Low-Latency Desktop))”?

Also - you might include that you need to run “make menuconfig” to get that working (I did this once before but would’ve been clueless otherwise).

Also also “sudo apt-get -y install libncurses5-dev” may be required for menuconfig?

EDIT (Found it):
CPU Power Management —> CPU Frequency scaling —> Default CPUFreq governor (performance)

(when building on RasPi) Is there a difference between using

git clone https://github.com/monome/norns-image.git
vs
git clone https://github.com/monome/norns.git

?

yes, those are not the same thing at all - the first is for building the linux kernel and has no application to an ything but the norns hardware (soundcard driver, &c)

the second is the norns software itself

Aha thanks - the github instructions just say “(clone your norns git)” so that was not entirely clear to me.

When starting maiden with the -fd flag the expectation is that whatever is spawning maiden will have setup file descriptor (number 3 in this instance) to be a socket which maiden will serve HTTP requests on. The setup on norns relies on systemd to open/bind port 80 then pass that on to maiden. This setup allows maiden to serve requests on a privileged port while will running as user we.

If you want this port 80 setup you’ll need to setup the systemd units found here - otherwise just remove the -fd flag and maiden will bind port 5000.

Having some issues getting started after install

systemctl status norns-init.service
    ● norns-init.service - norns-init
    Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/norns-init.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2018-06-10 02:55:54 UTC; 15min ago
    Process: 250 ExecStart=/usr/bin/amixer set Master 255 on (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Main PID: 250 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jun 10 02:55:53 norns systemd[1]: Starting norns-init...
    Jun 10 02:55:53 norns amixer[250]: amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Master',0
    Jun 10 02:55:54 norns systemd[1]: norns-init.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Jun 10 02:55:54 norns systemd[1]: Failed to start norns-init.
    Jun 10 02:55:54 norns systemd[1]: norns-init.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Jun 10 02:55:54 norns systemd[1]: norns-init.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

For the moment I do not have a soundcard attached. Would I need to comment out the amixer setting in norns-init (or change Master to PCM)?

And then if i make changes to the norns-init files - do I need to go back and re-run setup and install?

Clarification on building maiden UI

Where does this stuff get installed - on a client machine or on the RasPi?

I realized that i have a SH1106 display too…now it makes sense why I didn’t get it working…haha

how did you get it working?

Either but given the disk footprint of the tool chain I always build on another host (cross compiling maiden for arm) and then copy the built results to the device.

after many hours - YES!

(I’ve documented the process after a number of tries - I’ll need to figure a place to post that)

I now have to sort out how to get norns to use fb1

Would you share how to do this? (I’m poking around but can’t seem to find this)

thank you!
Maiden gets started when pi gets booted like this:

we         327  0.0  0.6 833668  6452 ?        Ssl  07:40   0:00 /home/we/maiden/maiden -fd 3 -app ./app/build -data /home/we/dust -doc /home/we/norns/doc

but it seems not to work. ip:5000 on a browers fails…

if I start it by hand without the -fd flag I get it running but end up with a 404 page

Still having some issues getting norns running. Getting the following error

I don’t have ~/status.wifi file - should this have been generated somewhere?

systemctl status norns-init.service
● norns-init.service - norns-init
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/norns-init.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2018-06-10 07:59:49 UTC; 41min ago
  Process: 292 ExecStart=/bin/chown we.we /home/we/status.wifi (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
  Process: 281 ExecStart=/bin/echo stopped > /home/we/status.wifi (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 292 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jun 10 07:59:49 norns systemd[1]: Starting norns-init...
Jun 10 07:59:49 norns echo[281]: stopped > /home/we/status.wifi
Jun 10 07:59:49 norns chown[292]: /bin/chown: cannot access '/home/we/status.wifi': No such file or directory
Jun 10 07:59:49 norns systemd[1]: norns-init.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jun 10 07:59:49 norns systemd[1]: Failed to start norns-init.
Jun 10 07:59:49 norns systemd[1]: norns-init.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jun 10 07:59:49 norns systemd[1]: norns-init.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

EDIT - rand ./wifi.sh scan and ./wifi.sh on and rebooted and that got me in business