Norns reset procedure not functioning (solved)

My Norns arrived today and, before doing anything else, I attempted to connect to wifi. While entering my password, Norns froze. Unable to sleep, I attempted the reset procedure (k3-k2-k1, hold for 10 seconds) without result. Any alternative to hitting the underside button? Do I just let the power run out (not sure how long this would take)?

Sorry :face_with_head_bandage:

You can try getting a screen session, described here. You may want to try disconnecting the wifi nub to try this? If you are able to get the terminal to respond this way then you can try some things like systemctl restart norns-matron.service to restart the Lua environment / menu interface, or just sudo shutdown now to do a clean power off.

This happened while entering the wifi password? That would seem to maybe rule out a large shift in system time as the culprit here (this has caused issues in the past), since norns would not have had an internet connection with which to contact a time server yet.

Thanks, @csboling - I was unable to access through Terminal on Mac (“no such file or directory exists”).

Correct, it happened while entering the password, so I never actually connected

You don’t have any /dev/tty.usb devices show up at all when connecting the Norns charging cable to your mac? ls /dev/tty.usb* is empty? On the macbook I just tried the command that worked for me is screen /dev/tty.usbserial-A9053JIQ – this will try to autodetect baud rate though it might take a while to come up and a few “enter” presses to show a login prompt. For some reason screen /dev/tty.usbserial-*** 115200 isn’t working for me on a mac, and screen seems slower to respond in general than when using linux as a host.

i would just hit that bottom reset. it’s there for situations like this.

so i am sorry for the trouble out of the box. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Some progress: terminal spit out the usbserial. When entering screen (screen /dev/tty.usbserial-A9053JHS), the result: “Sorry, could not find a PTY”

I tried closing and restarting terminal, but continue to arrive at the same result.

Thanks, @tehn! Thought I lose Awake in the process, but I have located it :slight_smile:
And thanks @csboling for all of your help!

1 Like