norns shield 2022

I had taken this sticker off thinking it was meant to be removed (probably bc one edge of it was already peeled up?). Not sure if I still have it usable. Is any paper a substitute or it’s something specific?

Any old tape should suffice. Well, as long as it’s not copper tape!

Seems like the left channel distortion issue is coming from a short between the top usb hub and the c10 resistor(?)

I don’t believe the sticker was covering anything conductive, and the lower two ports in mine don’t touch the board, so sticker actually seems a non-issue.

I am also fine with the fiddling, totally empathetic to the situation, just hope there is a good solution, however mine is also making strange electrical static noises every few minutes. Is anyone else experiencing this?

1 Like

Yeah, I’m looking forward to seeing the tightening recommendations. Alternatively, maybe we’ll see some user designs soon that account for the pi 4. Haven’t booted my shield up just yet, but I’ll be on the lookout for those static noises when I do.

2 Likes

Similar to this?

This is recorded through a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4, but is audible with headphones at a resonable level

• Pi 3B with this power supply (18AWG)
  • 2022 shield (sticker erroneously removed, but replaced with insulation tape)
  • Running awake with no active steps. Params: output -2.59dB; headphone gain: 40
1 Like

When did y’all order yours? I put my order in on Feb 21st I think, and I haven’t seen a shipping email. I’m also in NY so I think shipping would be somewhat fast. Thank you :pray:t4:.

Pretty sure this has to do with rfi - seems to disappear when I turn off wifi (on norns), move my phone farther away, and turn off bluetooth on my computer. Possible not all these are necessary, but good to try all when troubleshooting.

1 Like

yeah, shield/rpi are pretty susceptible to RF noise. easily picks up my cellphone within ~1ft?, and i have a baby monitor that really blasts it.

both these recordings sound pretty typical.

but! i don’t know what gain was involved or what dynamic range we are talking about. there is some noise floor of course, and it is full of digital signals leaking from elsewhere in the pi.

1 Like

Could DIYing some sort of shielding (no pun intended) for the inside of the case help at all here? Copper tape or that sort of thing…

i guess? sounds hard? i just move the thing away from the phone. (this actually applies to greater or lesser degree to every piece of audio equipment i own, including e.g. cables, laptops, guitars microphones, amplifiers etc.)

but yeah the metal case designs might help, where there is metal above/surrounding the 40-pin header connection, over the codec, everywhere

or sure, tape all over inside of 3d printed case, why not, worth a try

but emphasizing my edit above, there is also always going to be some noise floor and i cant actually tell what level these recordings are capturing. the thing to do of course is to also record a full scale signal and compare that with the noise.

so, if these artifacts are super audible at normal listening levels then RF would be my first guess diagnosis. if they are down below, say, -40dBu i’d wonder. (first rev shields might get that much leakage - only on ADC, not DAC - and latest is better, tho ive not measured noise floor on one myself.)

1 Like

I have similar noise issues if I’m too close to my wireless router.

Also, I’d be interested in a metal case if somebody has made one with a screen protector.

regarding the case:

upon investigating more closely, the misalignment of the top plate and enclosure is a result of the USB/ethernet ports of the pi4 being pushed further out just slightly. with the port separations cut out, it’s much easier to position these ports to rest slightly on the bottom lip, rather than behind the bottom lip of the case.

here’s the cut guide for modifying:

here’s a video of me doing an incredibly fast chop of a case. please take your time, be careful. there are numerous other ways to modify the case with other tools— this plastic cuts pretty easily, but again, be careful.

once remounting everything sits nicely (as posted earlier)

18 Likes

thank you for your support!

shields started shipping on March 8th (oldest orders to newest) and we’ll continue to ship as we receive stock from our assembler – we expect all queued preorders to be out by March 24th. you’ll get a tracking number as soon as yours goes out. but please let us know if we can assist directly with anything else in the meantime via help@monome.org :gem:

6 Likes

Thank you so much for the info! Looking forward to it :package:

Hi there! waiting patiently for my norns shield to arrive :slight_smile:

Question : are the recommandations for AWG and cable specs of the power supply applies also to the Raspberry 4 (USB-C) ?

My RB4 was delivered with an unofficial power supply. I guess I will see once plugged if it’s ok, but just to be sure

1 Like

The above cutting guide worked perfectly for me (using only an x-acto). Thank you!

Before:

After:

6 Likes

I just got my new Norns Shield. I installed cs4271 but it produced a JACK FAIL error. So I installed OS version cs4270. Install worked but now the input jack doesn’t work.

It shipped March 8 so I think it’s a 2022. But the circuit board says 221028.

I’m a newb. You all have a lot more experience than I do. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

I just got the 2022 shield and that’s the revision printed on the PCB.

Which Raspberry Pi are you using it with? The OS is specific to the hardware + shield combination. Either way, the 4270 variation is the correct one, not 4271.

I am confused by the above post - @dan_derks has supplied this info in another thread. Isn’t 4271 the correct disk image for the newly shipped shield + rp4 combo?

1 Like

I’m using a Raspberry Pi 4. Shield has 221028 on the PCB.

There may be conflicting instructions out there. Monome instructions say March 8th shipments should use cs4271, but others directions say “version number 220101 or greater printed on the circuit board) use the cs4271”.