Norns shield case designs

40mm for height without knobs, I used the hardware specified in the shield github page.

did a 3d printed skirt/ring/sides thing for shields with just a top/bottom plate.

(low quality test print)

People interested in the above design can check out my Norns Shield Case Kits post in the Trade section.”

12 Likes

My stompbox-norns prototype. Just need to fit the acrylic screen window and cut the sides for i/o :smiley:

34 Likes

Just a pic of my case. I’ve adapted the original @andrew’s design to bended 2mm aluminium material. I’ve kept the original acrylic faceplate in order to keep the screen safe from dust.
I love the glossy feel it gives to the finish product.

9 Likes

hey oky - do you have the files available for the skirt/ring/sides thing for the Norns shield? I’d like to try it your way and mod for my buttons and knobs. I can cut the acrylic (cast) here at home on my cnc

3 Likes

finaly more or less (never to be) finished 50:50 working title uhm…instrument.
This took around 6-8 weeks to get all nicely together and includes the norns shield + grid as the heart combined with 2 preamps, equalizer, envelope follower (mi ears), 2 different chunky fat vintage transformers, count to 5, and a vactrol LPG…yup crazily compressed for mobile.
I wanted to go on but there is really no space left at all : D

Sounds like:

38 Likes

Cool! It reminds me of those tabletop arcade machines they used to have in fish and chip shops.

1 Like

Very interesting. Is it normalled or do you need to patch?

it’s a norns cyberdeck!

super cool, was thinking of something similar but wasn’t even considering the sheer density of stuff you’ve crammed in there.

3 Likes

Its all patchable ofc.

1 Like

thanks for sharing!

that’s one of the coolest diy builds i’ve ever seen

1 Like

I made a small 3D print case for my Norns Shield and Mutable Instruments CVPal. :control_knobs: It is available on Tinkercad. https://www.tinkercad.com/things/gkYqeu6S8YP

19 Likes

Very cool, i was thinking up something similar. Pondering making the usb connection internal

Those are all incredible! Are the rectangular buttons more stable than the round ones?

Hey all, some awesome designs in this thread!

Could someone please confirm the correct dimensions for the plate designs given here? https://github.com/monome/norns-shield/tree/master/dxf

I am attempting to get plates cut from ponoko.com and uploaded those dxf files to their import tool, which has identified the width as 92.9mm and height 87.8mm. However, I haven’t been able to verify these numbers looking at the files myself as I’m not very familiar with CAD tools.

Update - I think I was able to figure it out in EAGLE. For anyone wondering the same thing, using the dimension tool in EAGLE it looks like the width is 87.63mm and height is 82.55mm, according to the .brd file here.

And second update. Received the cut plates and unfortunately they probably 2-3mm too small. For anyone trying to measure it using EAGLE as I did here, sorry those dimensions are wrong.

Is anybody able to please confirm the correct dimensions? Seems like about 90mm wide and 85mm high would be my next estimate.

This looks amazing, what do you use to generate this kind of design?

It’s just the showy ‘renderer’ in Fusion 360. Same tool I used for everything else 3D/CAD I shared in this thread, including the exploded diagram of the board. Just what I know, really.

Got it, thanks @infovore. I just started playing with Fusion, still learning what it’s capable of. Did you model all of the individual components? I’m wanting to try mock up a couple of designs but wasn’t sure if it was common to use libraries of existing components or build everything from scratch.

gosh no.

• switches and encoders are official CAD parts from suppliers
  • PCB is an export into Fusion from EAGLE
  • raspi and all components on it is a model I found on Grabcad.
  • audio jacks on shield are models I made myself from the drawings for those jacks
  • I think screen might be an official model, or one I made from a mechanical drawing - can’t remember.

Meaning the only thing I actually made for sure is, you know, the top/bottom panel and the stereo jacks. Grabcad is handy, but you have to be prepared to wade through some less good models to find better ones.

In general, I only use Grabcad for faffy things. I’ll definitely use manufacturer’s official STEP models if they supply them, though, that helps a lot, and PCBs I either export from KiCad as STEP (nowadays) or (if I’m working with an EAGLE board) direct from EAGLE into Fusion.

1 Like