norns shield

Looks great! I think that should really help reduce the issues going forward.

1 Like

You were right, thanks so much! It wasn’t exactly that the disk was full, but I had to expand the filesystem as per the instructions here. Now I have literally days of available recording time, lol!

I really appreciate how helpful this forum is, so thanks for taking the time to reply and hopefully this can help someone else who runs in to this issue.

2 Likes

Glad to hear you had it sorted. Happy bleeping!

Check in Maiden if there are any errors when the scripts load, see maiden | monome/docs .

I’m finally about to attempt an update to the latest image for the Norns shield and am considering just getting a new SD card to do it with. (Just in case things go sideways then I can just pop my current card back in.) Is there any reason to spend the extra money for cards rated for high video transfer rates? It’s been so long since I bought one I have no clue what all the ratings mean for case like the raspberry pi and Norns (despite having looked up the markings.)
A simple recommendation would be great if you have one. I have a Pi 3B+ and shield 191106. Thanks!

monome recommends this one: Raspberry Pi Official "NOOBS" microSD Card

1 Like

Thanks very much, @zbs !

1 Like

Last one I bought (for my Shield) was this 128gb Sandisk one.

It’s been great; no issues with it at all.

4 Likes

I have similar, but Ultras on both Norns Shields and no problems so far.

1 Like

Thanks @DoS and @Helen !

Thank you very much, @angel !

Hey there,
when I first saw the norns I was actually amazed by the crazy amount of features, and customisability all while being open source, based on linux and all that completely community driven.
So I’ve been thinking about buying a norns shield, and that preferrably non-used.
Now, what about availability? Production seems to be slow, and there are seemingly no posts at all talking about availability.
Do I have to source all the parts on my own and deal with the latter? I don’t think I am qualified enough to do that, and would rather not kill such an expensive device.
Why is it not available?
Thanks!

Have you read the “future stock estimates” page?

1 Like

I haven’t stumbled about this yet, thanks!

This is also good reading: Scarcity and Precarity in Small Manufacturing

Welcome!

3 Likes

Adafruit has Pi3B in stock now for whom this applies.

Is there any work around if i screwed up Button 1 connectors on the shield pcb?
I planed to exchange buttons, tested with button 2, worked fine, button 3 needs replace, imstarted with button 1 and cant get it to work at all anymore.

I am afraid i might have killed the pcb leads.

Is the on/off trigger layout the same as with button 2 and 3? I tried that but also the 2 upper solder points and also all 4mto no avail. System button is dead it seems :frowning:

You can check the pcb files in Autodesk Eagle and trace where traces go and then just solder buttons with small wires to the points where traces go. Not very clean and not so durable but better than throw everything out.

EDIT: You can check the continuity first with multimeter between button pads and point on pcb where they go, maybe you just got one point broken so no need to use wires for everything

Mh like micro tactile switches to the first „station“ of fir example an smd cap?

Not sure if I understood correctly. I meant that you can solder your switch in place, and if you will find not working pin you can wire it to where it goes according to file.