Norns: studies

norns

Aaaaa ok I’ve even re-run the update via sftp to check it … thanks!
Looking forward to the fix!

hello :slight_smile: I’ve had norns for a few months but am only getting around to doing the studies now. I’ve run into something that has got to be user error but I can’t figure out what’s wrong.
I’m doing study 1 and I can load the script on the norns hardware but when I hit the play button in Maiden, I was initially getting a message that said File Not Found… with the name of the script. I saw that none of the other scripts had names with spaces so I renamed my study 1 script with one word instead. Now, when I click the play button in Maiden, nothing happens at all. What am I missing? Thank you in advance for helping me!

You might want to delete the file and redo. Select the file in maiden and tap the minus sign. Then create a new file, name it, ex: study1.lua. You need to be sure to add the “.lua” extension, otherwise it won’t run.

Good luck!

thanks for the quick reply! I will start fresh now and report back :slight_smile:

also, in the STUDY/ menu, there’s already a STUDY1. Is this the finished versions of the same script I’m copying from the study 1 website? thanks!

Yes, I think studies 1, 2 and 3 are included.

You can make your own folder in maiden and store your work there.

Reading through the studies in anticipation of owning a Norns. At the tail end of study 3 there’s a link to class docs which only works if you’re connected to Norns. Any reason not to have a link that works otherwise? Is this available on github? I’m happy to take a look at making the changes if that is possible.

Also, can we anticipate new studies once v2 is bedded in? The first post hints at at least two more.

it’s here https://monome.github.io/norns/doc/

Those docs are auto-generated from the norns lua source files - using ldoc.

We are working on cleaning up and fixing docs for 2.0 release. Not sure the github link above is updated. But, in theory, you could download the norns source and generate the docs for yourself

Good to hear. I’ll do that. I appreciate its effort to keep the studies up to date, but it would help to have the docs available to readers of the study w/o Norns connected.

It was linked to up above for you, not sure if you saw that?

Yes, I did. And thanks to @jlmitch5 for the link. I guess I should see about submitting a git pull request to add that into the study.

To clarify - Is your request “Add a link to the norns docs from each study page”?

If so I can make note of that in the docs thread (on github)

Yep, I think that would be helpful, and is what I’m suggesting. Also, in study 3 it mentions creating a metro, but it’s left to the reader to figure out what a metro is. I think some explanation of what this is that’s being created would help (but I’m reading this as a coder).

study 3 introduces metros and spends a substantial section explaining them. can you clarify further?

I think the addition of the online link would be helpful to some.

In study 3 the first mention of metro is under the ‘time again’ heading and it seems pretty clear that metro is a metronome. I can possibly see where study 2 could be improved since it mentions metro in isolation.

OK, so I hadn’t spotted the reference in study2. In study 3, while it’s reasonably clear that we’re talking about a metronome, if we think about users learning Lua while also learning Norns, then we’ve just introduced a thing (an instance of a class I’m assuming) without mention of what it is that we’ve added.

The text says " this init function creates a metro called counter", and then dives into it’s members and methods (sorry, I’m learning Lua too, so apols if this isn’t the right terminology) without saying what this metro thing is.

For me, it jars, maybe for others less so??

I think I see what you mean. If you come to the studies from a computer science background, you may want to see the API right away. It can be a little frustrating at first to just ‘go with it’, but I think once you do them and start creating, that goes away. It’s a different experience reading through the studies versus interacting with them and Norns.

That’s a fair comment.

preceding the code block and init explanation:

in addition to using keys and encoders to trigger functions, we can also make time-based metronomes which trigger functions.

open to suggestions (and PRs) for specific elaboration

in addition to the API we’re working on a “programming reference” which will distill all of the concepts introduced in the studies

I missed that. Sorry for the noise. A programming reference sounds like a good addition.