NYC - Norns workshop/hackathon/meetup - Nov 9th

Here are the dates that it seem might work well, given @mimetaur’s generous offer of studio space!

If you’re interested and any of these days work for you please vote ASAP! You can vote for multiple days, so pick whichever work for you.

• Wed, October 30th
  • Mon, November 4th
  • Wed, November 6th
  • Sat, November 9th

0 voters

I think these cover a decent range, so hopefully it extends into a time @neauoire and others who are around in Nov can make.

Of course if enough people are interested in multiple dates we could always just meet again!

2 Likes

Looks like we’re headed towards Saturday the 9th?

This weekend will be the first time my space is open to the public so if any weird holes emerge looks like I’ll have time to patch them up.

Excited to do some Norns-ing with you all. Anyone have a particular agenda in mind? I’m thinking hack sessions, workshops, performances, maybe an open jam…

3 Likes

9th is looking good for me pending scheduling at my new job that I start up on the 4th. Hopefully I know soon.

If I can attend i’m open to anything, would love to watch someone code a quick norns script up in real time explaining what their process is. I am an ultra Lua newbie so anything related to norns/lua is right up my alley.

Performances could be pretty rad as well!

3 Likes

i can possibly get down on the 9th as well— any idea of possible time? mid-day would be more optimal (but don’t plan on my account!)

2 Likes

I was definitely thinking of getting started mid-day - I’m usually down there every Saturday afternoon. Pretty much any time after 11 works for me.

hacks/jams/hangs sound good in whatever permutation they should take!

Maybe we could use @zebra’s https://github.com/catfact/drumf from the norns hackalongs as a starting point? Or something completely different :slight_smile:

Count me in for Saturday!

Would love to join in on this—I just got in a parts order for the fates RPi board, hoping to have it done by then.

I was going to try this! Could you please point out to the BOM for this? Already have the RPi :slight_smile:.

Address is:
56 2nd Ave
Studio #16
Brooklyn NY, 11215

About 2 blocks from the F/G/R trains at 9th st and 4th ave. I’ll try and have the front door open around our start time, but you can always ring the buzzer or DM me)

6 Likes

the github repo is pretty comprehensive, BOM’s in there: https://github.com/okyeron/fates

1 Like

Ah my bad. Should have looked for the repo first. Thanks!

ok i’ll be there!

will work on a “new” idea for something fun we can make in 90 minutes— if people are interested in scripting

and dang, i should maybe do (and broadcast) a 5 minute what-the-heck-is-mlr

@mimetaur i could bring a projector if that’s helpful

8 Likes

Could someone lend me a couch me for the night of the evening?

2 Likes

pretty sure I can! feel free to DM if you wanna sort it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wish I was able to make it. I’m working till 6pm that day now :worried:

I’ve got a (just okay) 720p short throw projector set up in the space so we’re probably all good in that regard.

Other equipment I’ve got set up:

• an old Mackie with some spare stereo inputs (for anyone who wants to demo sound from their Norns)
  • a little webcam on a gooseneck mount (if anyone wants to project their Norns or grid)
  • a fair assortment of cables (but if you want something special you may want to bring your own

Something fun we can make in 90 minutes sounds good to me! As does an MLR demo.

I have a few ideas I’ve been playing with…

• I can show some generative audiovisual studies I’ve been working on that use the Norns, Crow/modular, and Processing together.
  • I’d love thoughts on a python script I’ve been using to administer my Norns scripts.
1 Like

and dang, i should maybe do (and broadcast) a 5 minute what-the-heck-is-mlr

I think recording and publishing any presentations we do during the meetup would be pretty fantastic! Happy to help set that up and coordinate.

Could be fun to do some lightning talks around different topics as well! I wouldn’t really want to do a full on presentation but would love to talk for ~5 minutes on code structure for scripts or something similar.

Maybe one big live coding presentation, a bunch of small presentations, and then just hanging out/jamming/coding?

3 Likes

Sounds exciting! I hope to join! I’m a very very fresh Norns owner.

1 Like

Have we settled on a time and I missed it somewhere?

Super super excited!