Old Things Hype Megathread

Scavenged a screen from my brother’s old laptop, It’ll get a new life on a 19" rack along the Mac Mini.

Also rocking a MBP from 2010. I don’t know about the newer models but damn, that gen was made to last.

13 Likes

It’s not thaaaat old, but I cherish my ThinkPad 11e. Bought it refurbed for 5 years ago because it had been run through “sixteen rigorous military-grade tests” and I think it should last me for a good long time yet.

My 1964 Hoffner classical guitar is a treasure. Found it in a shop in rural Alberta going for a song. It’s as old as my parents. It sounds bad and can’t stay in tune and I love it.

All the wooden spoons in my life. When I was an itty bitty baby a wooden spoon was my favorite thing. I think that original one broke but my parents got me one for my birthday 7 or 8 years back.

I’m looking out my window at a blizzard. Snow is just cold, old water. It’s probably the thing I get most hyped for every year.

Edit: @glia is this the mixer you’re talking about or is there an older one? Either way, love this little guy. Would love to pick your brain on no-input stuff sometime!

6 Likes

My MacBook Pro was a 2012 model I think. I was lucky and got back a similar vintage but somewhat lower spec MBP from a friend for proverbial pennies recently - but my workspace setup is such, that it sits more or less permanently tethered as a router / controller and a recorder for the audio interface, speakers and gear hooked up to them. And so, now I live with two laptops (three if you count the one I have from work for endless remote work) and for my daily driver, I still use a computer that’s over half a decade newer and a kilogram lighter (Thinkpad Yoga X1) - and yet fails to impress as much and work as well as the early '10s MBPs.

I still wish things like https://frame.work/ or the new Dell concept “minimal waste, maximal repairability” laptop would become mainstream with ridiculously long support times - instead of the current Apple trend of zero repairability and good luck when something fails, and the general race of “need a new faster computer again because of new slower software”.

(I have a friend who does development for living and retro computing as a hobby - usually from an angle of “let’s see if all this new stuff can be ported to this old obscure machine”. We had a chat some time ago about how you can still do pretty much every basic task you’d want to with a high spec '90s computer and even compile a lot of modern open source stuff for them… except for getting a modern browser working properly. These days a browser is basically a wasteful Javascript virtual machine for running incredibly resource hungry applications online.)

4 Likes

My trusty A&H 14:4:2
I’ve had it for years never getting proper use out if it, but I’ve gradually realized it’s a fantastic live dub mix console. So many features! Flexible mic pres, HPF, 4 band EQ, 6 aux with pre/post options, direct outs, 2 matrix outs, 6 groups, handles anything you throw at it and more. Is it Neve, API, Etc? No, but it does a ton of stuff, still in production and shows up used very affordabley.

15 Likes

I love this computer, and would probably last me forever, but I choose to be interested in video and 3d rendering, which something like this wouldn’t excel at.

But it is designed to last and be repaired: MNT Reform

2 Likes

That MNT looks very interesting. I just wish the “open, fair & repairable” hardware manufacturers would soon catch up and eg. make something that would at least equal roughly the specs of the 10+ year old computers we’ve been talking about… Relatively modern CPU, 8-16 gigabytes of memory and so on. Doesn’t need to be state of the art, just something that would sort of feel at least equal to what you can get for couple of hundred euros in good shape now.

I suppose that’s linked to availability of certain components or designs and what things cost in smaller batches - but as is it sort of feels that you can get eg. a more powerful and still quite repairable 10+ year old Thinkpad for much cheaper.

(Edit: added some thoughts based on a bit of further thinking above, and removed mention about the Framework, looks like I’d linked it before)

(FWIW Dell has recently shown the world their concept laptop that’s apparently trying to save on natural resources and be repairable at least in the sense that you can dismount and swap the submodules easily etc. - there’s still hope that a trend of repairability will eventually become a mainstream one, but that would also require commitment for providing spare parts and upgrades, and is starting to be a topic for another thread I guess…)

audacity :heart_eyes:

i just created some multichannel wav for kaivo in audacity, i love this software!

13 Likes

I’ve been called worse. :slight_smile:

Yep, @marcus_fischer, pan control as a send blend should work! Then you could play with the blend and compensate for signal loss with the gain knob.

The 402 doesn’t have pan controls, apart from a toggle that hard-pans channel 1 to L and channel 2 to R (for the send bus trick, you’d want the other “mono” setting, which mixes 1&2 to both L&R). L

But, your trick could eke an extra send channel out of a mixer with pan controls…good thinking!

I love this idea for a thread. Gunpei Yokoi’s “Lateral Thinking with Withered Technology” comes to mind. Not to mention the “Low End Mac” website, etc. Frequently functionality is lost when things are “updated.”

One of mine is a 2009 Asus Eee PC 1005HA netbook. I bought it as an emergency stopgap when my G4 laptop prematurely bit the dust in the middle of a nail-biting apartment search. Whenever I’m on the verge of sending it into the wild blue yonder, I think of a new use and it escapes the guillotine. It’s light and has a great keyboard, and I really don’t care if it gets dinged up.

Right now, it’s running a stripped down #!, and I’ve removed the Wifi card. It’s dedicated to live-scripting Crow in the terminal. And pumping out SuperCollider patterns through MIDI into my modular. I also have an older version of Renoise on there, for use as a breakbeat pattern editor (and occasionally chromatic sampler).

In the past, I used the netbook as a command line-only text processor. Was super productive writing with that setup. And it can double as an Internet de-crufter by browsing w/ Lynx.

Speaking of which, Lynx (b. 1992, d. — ) is still an extremely useful program for getting info from the web quickly w/o the latency and bandwidth of cookies/ads/Javascript/etc. Apart from streaming video, I usually only want a bit of text anyway.

Lynx is also keyboard driven, and so, great for navigating pages efficiently. I hadn’t used it in decades and was recently delighted to discover it’s still in active development! So satisfying when each website asks if it can store cookies to tell it “neVer”.

Sadly, the new 2010 MacBook Pro I bought shortly after the netbook passed on last year. Still need to sell it for scrap on ebay. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Me and my sisters used to work out how to pronounce words backward, record them into Sound Recorder, then apply the “reverse” function. Didn’t see Twin Peaks til much later!

J

7 Likes

After coming to terms with the unavailability of 3sis, I pulled the trigger on an old Intellijel Corgasmatron. It’s funny how quickly something can become “obsolete” just because they made a version with a different number on the faceplate!

4 Likes

I got an Akai MFC42 a year ago when buying a bundle of a guys studio and have been really impressed. Rally thorough midi implementation, dual multimode filters with distortion, phaser, tap tempo LFO and envelope, phono preamp, screaming resonance. I don’t think its particularly well known and kind of weird but works great and I would highly recommend (probably not for how much they seem to go for these days though)

2 Likes

Ooh, just thought of another one: Yamaha QY70.

It’s taken me like a decade to wrap my head around all it can do. Use it as a 480 PPQN MIDI recorder, a drum machine, step sequencer, Sysex librarian, pattern sequencer, drone machine (sustain…ON!!!), 16 partial additive synth or other layered weirdness (love blowing through those unused XG MIDI channels). The list goes on…

And it’s extremely portable!

J

3 Likes

Akai MPC2500. With or without JJOS it’s probably my most beloved iteration of the device, even beating out the classics due to modern comforts like USB connection to the computer for sample management and, to my ears, it somehow has some of that old MPC mojo that the 2000 and 4000 era lost.

3 Likes

was reminded of this old alarm clock, one of the things i inherited from my first husband. love the minimal UI, everything is programmed with 2 switches.

14 Likes

Absolutely; I have a saw bought from Woolworths or similar in the 80s that was my father’s that I still use every week; and a chisel that was probably new in the 1970s. That and my grandfather’s folding ruler that sits ready for use in its original case in a drawer below my desk and I definitely feel a connection to them through the things that they made things with and I still attempt to do do every day.

I also have a Timex analogue travel alarm clock that has sat by my bedside though all manner of dodgy flats, family sofas, student houses and across the continent, and keeps on ticking through the battery changes every few years. There was another one that served as a backup if the first one didn’t wake me reliably enough, but that one did conk out a few years back.

1 Like

Hope this fits with the theme of this (wonderful) thread. We moved into our current ~100 y.o. house about a decade ago and promptly bought this thematically matching mailbox…

…I just got around to actually installing the thing earlier today! (house work as procrastination from “real” work ftw)

4 Likes

I had the same alarm clock for years! Gave it to my brother when I moved out this year. When you tried to set the time it would just randomly jump between numbers but I loooooved this thing :smiley:

Love this thread. I would like to heap praise on my Fernandes Monterey. Bought new in early 00s. Did several tours with it, it has been dinged, and bashed. But holds its tuning like a boss and sounds incredible through a high gain amp. All stock hardware too, one of the only guitars I’ve had and not changed pups. Shame they don’t make them any more, but I believe they have downscaled.

4 Likes

I drove up into the Berkshire hills this past fall to pick up this beautiful little pump organ. I haven’t found any marks to get an exact date on how old it is just yet, but some basic research would say it was probably built in the 30’s.

some reeds might need replacing and the bellows for sure needs some work, but it sounds just lovely. looking forward to getting it on the workshop bench and bringing it fully back to life (with possibly new casework).

25 Likes

This marvelous thing (not my pic but mine looks just like it, aluminium trim included):

super_reverb_sf_69f

The tremolo is busted (just a ticking noise) and some of the pots are scratchy but otherwise fantastic. Gorgeous reverb. Best amp ever for clean playing (and probably for vintage CCR tones, but I never get to turn it up that loud). It’s older than me :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Nice, @karst!

Years ago I was visiting MASS MoCA, and stayed in a Victorian AirBnB outside of North Adams. They had a pedal-pumped Estey from Brattleboro. I still have a long recording of it somewhere. Pleasant memory.

Guess they sold a fair number of them around that area.

I can relate. I have an old pair of bent needlenose pliers in my toolbag. My grandfather used them when he went locksmithing. Not much use for them, yet there they remain.

J

4 Likes