oooooo

Cant wait to try this! It looks unbelievably fun.

Is there a way to install it without erasing Oooooo Data?
Am I able to just copy the lua file and rename it to another script name like moonsong?

1 Like

thanks for the kind words @mattallison and @tteejj!

yeah I think you don’t have to erase the oooooo data - but you will change to change the loop startup to 16 beats manually.

but I’m going to go ahead and merge these changes into the oooooo proper in a way that is selectable via the menu and not hacky! will report back tomorrow :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@infinitedigits

For the roadmap, would it be possible to send a trigger/gate out on Crow output 2 when the notes trigger, this would allow for further sonic sculpting with envelopes or function generators.

2 Likes

yeah you bet!

this might only apply to me but I also have one of the crow outputs (output 3) doing a TE pocket operator clock sync signal which can be triggered at the start of any loop to easily get drum patterns into the recording as well (recording just kick, just snare, just hihat into each loop can be pretty fun).

I pretty much got everything working now with lots of options broken out into the parameters. just need to write up some explanation for the things :writing_hand:

also I’m going to add the long overdue tape warble too to finish it off.

11 Likes

Sorry to be lazy but is there a quick reference somewhere on setting crow out1 to 1v/oct?

Thank you!

1 Like

v1.10.0 - chord layering sequencer

• add grid combo buttons to clear tape by @MentalSandal (Long press on the last 2 buttons of row 8 to clear the tape.)
  • added tape warble (PARAMS > all loops > tape warble)
  • added “chord layering” mode (chord sequencer with automatic recording)
  • toggle all reverse (goto loop “A” and turn E2 CW until you see toggle reverse)

the big change here is the “chord layering” mode. I can’t update the very top post anymore but I updated the docs which you can read here: oooooo | norns community

“chord layering” mode is basically a chord sequencer atop of oooooo that records notes one at a time onto each loop to eventually form chords. there are some demos here.

here you go!

24 Likes

Hohoho!! Nice Xmas present! :heart_eyes::pray:

1 Like

@infinitedigits

Thanks so much, not just for the update, but constantly being open to suggestions/feedback (clock out), eagerness to build these features so seamlessly into your exisiting scripts/projects and for your clear documentation and patch suggestions.

Oh and Merry Christmas from Down Under!

4 Likes

Where is the install command that was here previously or is this on maiden now?

Also, were is the code example to note/chord progression?

Thanks as always!

1 Like

thanks @mattallison ! I am always appreciative your shared creative explorations!! and Merry Christmas :slight_smile:

@bc3, the new “chord layering” is in oooooo itself now, v1.10.0. you can get it from maiden, by installing/updating in the project manager or via maiden repl with:

;install https://github.com/schollz/oooooo

the chord progressions are now available to edit via the parameters menu too! they are not hardcoded anymore. I fully endorse hacking/tinkering of the script though, and if you’d like you can modify all sorts of things in these lines to control how chords are made and arranged.

12 Likes

I’m trying to play with chord layering mode, but am I right in that it does not use the internal clock? I can’t get a chord to sound by just activating chord layering mode and singing into it. It goes through/records the 6 voices, but those stay on the same pitch.

EDIT: OK so I am an idiot- after reading carefully, the pitch/gate from Crow is used for different pitches. I thought the loops would pitch up/down… Anyway getting ready to try this tonight when I get back to my modular! What threw me off was seeing the Strega but no Crow in sight :wink:

1 Like

I’m excited to try the new features out!

I might have missed it, but is there a way to load previously recorded sound files as individual loops?

1 Like

yes! you can do that via the params menu - PARAMS > loop X > load audio (last option). I think the limit to the length is ~80 seconds and it will only load one channel.

yeah currently it uses crow/midi to change pitches.

don’t want to get ahead of myself but I am working on a new script that I want to incorporate the ability to sing/play other intruments. the pitch assignments will still be enforced somehow…maybe through a bandpass or a pitchshifter…

its not oooooo 2.0 at all - something else, but will be very similar to the chord layering mode with improvements.

22 Likes

Wow, that looks amazing! I often try to be in between pure chords/more sound ‘beds’ when composing, it might be great to have both bandpass and pitch-shifters… anyway, very curious what you’ll cook up.

In the mean time, here’s my first oooooo chord layering tryout. Loving it (mangrove > qpas > 3sis > mimeophon)

6 Likes

can’t believe I overlooked this. thank you. completely alters my work flow!

1 Like

omgosh I love that!! your signal path sounds absolutely amazing. the mangrove really can shift between sounding like a electric guitar to sounding like a saxophone.

nah its my bad! that parameter is buried deep in the menus…

2 Likes

That was really beautiful. Nice work.

2 Likes

kind of wondering…
how similar or divergent is oooooo to the SOMA Cosmos?

1 Like

looks very similar! one divergence maybe is that Cosmos is stereo by default? oooooo can record in stereo but only three loops (each loop is mono) by hard panning them and setting the input type to 5 and syncing each pair of loops (this is done automatically by selecting PARAMS> choose mode > stereo looping). its another matter though of having the lfos in sync (just set the lfos to the same parameter will do it, but there is no setting to do that automatically).

the description they give is something to play with in oooooo:

by a mathematical shift based on the relationships between large prime numbers (the size of all delay lines are different primes), an asynchronous operation of the LFO, and modulation with a slowly changing chaotic signal

you can certainly set the loop sizes to be different prime numbers, and modulate the LFOs by midimapping the lfo offset. having the LFOs be a bunch of random numbers is pretty good though to keep things moving randomly.

of course the biggest divergence is the interaction itself. sometimes its just really nice to interact with a footpedal like the cosmos instead of turning knobs. sometimes its nice just to turn knobs. in oooooo you could certainly map things to a footpedal though if you wanted…

6 Likes

This is undoubtedly one of my favourite scripts since getting my norns recently.

Something I’ve been doing all the time lately is running a synth engine or sampler and recording little musical phrases of various lengths into tape. Then I open them as loops in oooooo and go wild. Instant early-eno vibes… when things interlock and form their own melodies and harmonies with one another… ahh it’s so lovely. Here’s a piece I made with that method today… I believe there was a pass where things went through barcode as well. Thank you thank you @infinitedigits for your remarkable work building these artistic tools.

14 Likes