Orac : open source instrument thing ;)

no…
so my goal was not really a web app as such, my goal was to come up with a solution for remote control for both desktops and mobiles.

I looked at the web app tech and frankly, for the effort involved was not too happy with that approach nor the likely results… so instead Ive taken a different approach :slight_smile:

Orac already supports a full OSC interface, but that depth also makes it hard for someone to write a UI, unless you do a full blown native app and even then they dynamic nature of Orac makes this non-trivial.

so what ive done is create a new simplified OSC layer, which is trivial to write UIs for (albeit less flexible) - so the above is actually a lemur template based on that OSC layer, and Ive also a PD one… adding others is pretty trivial.

this method means not only can I provide free solutions on all platforms, but also users can easily tailor/improve it.

this approach also gives me some ‘breathing space’ to develop things, before I decide if I want to look at full blown native app(s) , which are my preferred long term solution… but are not an immediate priority.

Ok! That sounds very smart. So folks will be able to use something like touchOSC to control Orac?

Just chiming in to say i installed orac yesterday. Fantastic work Mark. Plugged in my guitar and spent a wonderful evening :blush: i had the organelle getting all dusty on the table. Not anymore! :face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

thank you! this is precisely the goal!

do it in touchOSC, Max, Mobmuplat, what ever you have to hand…

also, users have different devices, android phones, iphones, android tablets, ipad (of various sizes)… so I need a solution where users can easily edit the interface to suit its sizing/layout.
e.g. today, I change the above for the iphone, to make it a tabbed interface, and then made an iPad version that was a single page, larger text.

so hopefully we can collaborate, share these things… help each other.

and that’s the thing…

the broader goal of Orac is to allow musicians to use what they have.
forget new shiny hardware… that old ipad, that dusty rPI, old midi controller, in your desk drawer - they could be interesting, fun, musical instruments.

so I’m really happy today…

C&G have released their video of Orac…

I love C&G videos, they’ve got such a great style to them , a balance of music and how-to, and just some unique ‘zest’ and great production quality.
… they’ve also been playing with Orac lots, and released a couple of modules, and that’s evident where they ‘abuse’ Orac - as a developers it feels like magic, when musicians use something in an unimagined way… it gets a life of its own :slight_smile:

anyway, enjoy…

orac news…
a few other developers (including C&G) have developed some modules for Orac, which you can find on Patchstorage - its fantastic to see the platform grow.

on ‘core’ development, Orac 1.1 dev is mostly complete, but I’m pretty busy over the summer and its too warm to be coding :wink: , so the release is likely to be in Autumn, probably initially with a beta release to get some feedback.

Orac 1.1, will of course support Organelle, and brand new support for Raspberry PI and Bela ( including Bela Salt , for Orac in your eurorack ) - and of course new features.
of course, still free, and still open source

so… its on its way, and I hope with the introduction of support for the rPI and Bela, more musicians will get to enjoy Orac.

eur-orac…

I heard you liked eurorack, so I put orac in your-o-rack so you can eurorack while you-orac?

I am really looking forward to ORAC 1.1. Will the mxmxmx terminal tedium also supported?

Best Regards
Marcus

Not explicitly (ie only as. RPI) as I don’t have one…

If someone donates one, then I’ll add full support :slight_smile:

( basically this would be adding cv support in the same way as Bela Salt has :))

Really looking forward to this. How will app/patch switching work on an rPi? Is there still a plan to allow OSC control?

Presets can already be switched via osc.

I think someone in the Facebook Terminal Tedium group has gotten ORAC working on TT - you might enquire there.

sounds good, i’ll check. :slight_smile:

have you got a reference for this?

I did have someone ping me about this, and I told them, Orac 1.0 works on rPI if you build it - but the issue is there is no UI to use it, and no default scripts to install/launch it.
This is what Orac 1.1 will bring.

as i said, Orac 1.1 will run ‘out of the box’ on TT, because at its core its a rPI.
(note: I will say, Id only recommend trying if your TT is based on a rPI3)

the difference however between this, and say Bela Salt, in Orac 1.1, though is integration.
Orac 1.1 with Bela Salt has CV modulation, and CV output.

I cannot do this generally, say so it works for TT, as the CV integration is likely different on different hardware, and I cannot release what i cant test.

all that said,
Orac 1.1 will make it easier to install on a TT due to the rPI support, and Orac is open source, so a developer could also take the Bela Salt implementation and perhaps adjust it for the TT.

I guess though this is pretty common with the TT given its nature, and also the fact that some add things like displays to it.

and being open source, if someone does this work in a way that doesn’t break other platforms, id be happy to take a pull request.

I think it’s just a matter of including the TT ADC and Digital I/O bits (terminal_tedium_adc, tedium_input, tedium_output) and plugging them in where they need to go.

Gerald is doing some python to make his OLED screens work - so that’s a different mod thats kinda necessary since the TT has no screen to start with.

thanks for that…

hmm, still looks a little way off :wink:
for Orac to be useful like that you need to be able to navigate between modules, and pages as many modules have more than 4 parameters.

if its just using standard ADC in pure data for CV I/O then that will work pretty much the same as Salt,

and with the new display interface in Orac 1.1, users would be able to use an iPad/iPhone or computer to control the patches if they wish. (you can also use a Push2, assuming you have a USB host port on the front of TT)

anyway cool, hopefully we’ll see a fully functional Orac on TT in the future then.

If I get excited I could do some testing for you (I’ve got 2 TTs here to play with although I’d need to see if I have a 64x128 display around here somewhere - currently I’ve got 32x128 oleds hooked up.).

USB is there on the pi, but not exposed on the TT main panel. I think Gerald and some of the other TT hackers have done an extra panel that has the oled displays and USB.

Is the pi3b adequate for ORAC? Or do I really want to use a 3b+?

Pi3b is fine, pi2 might be ok if you don’t go wild on modules :slight_smile: