Orca - Livecoding Tool

If you’re interested in live coding and minimal / cryptic interfaces that’s worth checking out.

26 Likes
Latest tracks + videos
Latest tracks + videos
Latest tracks + videos
A user's guide to monome eurorack firmwares

love Hundred Rabbits, I’ll have to try this out

Wow, I’m just learning about Hundred Rabbits! They’re pretty incredible.
I spent a few minutes trying to figure out PICO before I saw they made a tracker as well

I had a lot of fun exploring Marabu today! It makes it easier for me to think in terms of patterning and composition. I wish it could export midi/osc; it would be really fun to send controls to a more complex sound design system.

Not to derail the thread–
I’d be really interested in sharing some PICO “code”; learning by modification. Has anyone figured out some approaches to writing patches? I did find it pretty inscrutable but I think I just need to spend more time exploring control structures / getting some midi instruments hooked up.

4 Likes

I haven’t spent much time with it yet but I plan on learning more about it. Sharing code would be nice :slight_smile:

Finally made sound with it (and Ableton)
Here’s a little polymetric-ish example
hello.orca (1.4 KB)

There’s a few independent “regions” on this, you can isolate them by commenting the other (with #)

3 Likes

I’ve been following this on twitter.

It’s definitely really cool, and I’m into the visual/sandbox/microcosm aspects. I’m a fan of more visual oriented programming, trackers, etc where you have the visual feedback along with the data. Some friends and I have been talking about live coding a lot recently and I’d like to spend some time getting into this over the winter.

It also reminds me of Brogue :slight_smile: https://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/

1 Like

Looks amazing. Dwarf Fortress for music?

(a recent tweet suggests it can be hooked into VCV Rack. there goes my life)

4 Likes

It can be hooked to anything midi compatible :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is highly intriguing, and I’ll try this out over the weekend when I’m back home.
I’m really into the very restricted approach here, and the few examples I heard online sound interesting.
Doing a lot with so little always seems rewarding.

1 Like

OCRA looks really interesting - but I’m not getting :face_with_raised_eyebrow: any sound out of my ableton?
I used the simple example @ https://github.com/hundredrabbits/Orca/blob/master/examples/_midi.orca

Can’t see a way to load / save - so keyed it in. It appears to be working it’s way thru the notes - using loopmidi how do you link a midi port to Ocra?

This should help: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209774225-Using-virtual-MIDI-buses

2 Likes

fun basic sequencing jam

13 Likes

Thanks for that - will check it out.

more from my pc which is more powerful than my mac but has less stable internal midi ;-;

7 Likes

Thanks for trying out Orca!
It was a surprise to stumble on this forum.
Please let me know if you have any question :slight_smile:

20 Likes

Thanks for making Orca! Loving it!
So many interesting and outstanding sequencers are appearing in my world. This and Loom on Norns stand out.
Orca->SevillaSoft->Ansible= four voices of extremely interesting Eurorack sequencing!

1 Like

I would love to see more Orca x hardware synths video!
Let me know if you have any request :slight_smile:

Someone made a pretty cool tutorial video, I think it belongs here if anyone wants to learn Orca lang.

15 Likes

Allieway Audio started creating a series of Orca tutorial videos!

12 Likes

Still not getting Orca to ‘link’ to Ableton? see note further down - but my main question is how do you inform Orca what midi link to use?

Could be useful - I’ve got LoopMIDI but Orca doesn’t start up with it linked.