Orca - Livecoding Tool

ORCΛCLE , the new database which is programmed in a similar way to ORCΛ… Please actually make this.

1 Like

ORCΛ, our sailboats are slightly less glamorous.

I would love to see Orca used in more general experimental programming. Like, yeah, how do you make a read/write database with this.

6 Likes

but there’s sparkling water, so you got that going for you…

1 Like

NSDOS w ORCA and TE OP-1

14 Likes
//// pictures of our sound-making machines ////

Need advice on using Orca on a Raspberry, is there a specific build for it or just Linux? I’m trying to decide between a netbook and an RPi with a 3.5 screen as my ultra portable Orca device and my biggest consideration is running Orca.

2 Likes

You may have confused Orca (this thread) with Orac (this other thread over here)?

Nope, I think I can remember Devine and another user posting videos of Orca running on RPi on Twitter.

2 Likes

@digit Try the C Port of Orca, if you need a hand with that, ask @npisanti, or @moxus.

1 Like

Lisp for orcs. I always think of this now :wink:

5 Likes

I can’t seem to sync ORCA with my Ableton clock no matter how I configure my MIDI ports. I’m a bit stumped!

I know there is a connection because I am getting notes from ORCA into my software instruments but the sync icons next to the EXT button are just slightly out of step. I would use ORCA as my master clock of that’s possible but I can’t seem to get a clock signal out of it – Anyone done this successfully?

I can’t advise you on the ORCA side, but Ableton does not do well with external clock masters and you’ll run into strange cases with record sync and playback issues from time to time that, in the end, are very frustrating. I tried for a long time to use a Beatstep Pro as a master clock for it, and after much consultation with Ableton engineers and Arturia folks, we concluded that it wasn’t going to work well no matter what we tried. And I’ve written MIDI software in a variety of languages so I’m quite familiar with it at a technical level.

My Analog RYTM works a little better, but there are issues with the workflow that get clunky. My advice: keep Ableton as the clock master. Do check what kind of sync you’re sending ORCA though, and ignore any sync coming back from it - turn the sync off on the ORCA input to Live.

1 Like

@_NO I’ve had to temporarily disable the orca clock out. I found some cases where the clock would mess with midi notes, and so I have commented it out while I find a solution. Here’s the issue tracking.

@studiodc Good to know. I’ve never actually used an external device as a master for Ableton but now I know to avoid it. Thank you.

@neauoire No worries! There’s plenty of fun to be had as is. I’ll keep an eye on it.

1 Like

I mean, you’ve got UDP and I’m sure by now it’s turing complete, so technically anything is possible, but something worth using? I’m not sure. I could see some potential in it for general networking though, like packet routing or job control. I think the biggest inhibitor to it being used for general purpose code is it’s clock’s higher limit- if you could crank the clock to stupid speeds (Mind you I haven’t tried and I’m not very good with ORCΛ yet anyhow) you may be able to do more esoteric things

I’m not sure I understand, you do know that you can run Orca at like 30’000 BPM and basically do DSP?

6 Likes

The operator on 10,3 responds to all of the bangs from D however the operator on 11,8 does nothing no matter how it receives a bang. Am I missing something here?

I doubled checked other files I’ve made and they appear to work just fine.

Thank you for the help!

Could paste the code here inside of a code block(triple backticks) so I can test it?

• Are you getting any error in the console? cmd.
..............36T012345........
D............32X3..............
.:01a..........................
................3Rb0Ba.........
..........aC6....93X6..........
..0I7.....808Q.......#93393933#
.D.17T93393933.......#44822844#
..:023...............#51715717#
.....................#87775569#
.....................#77151155#
.....................#28844442#```

Numbers are not valid midi notes.
You can convert a number into a note by with (add num 'a'), like:

...RG..
D4.6AA.
.:03G..
1 Like

I can’t believe I missed that one… Great, I’ll give it a try now.

Thank you for the guidance.

1 Like