Orca - Livecoding Tool

Moved from contemplating to prototyping: https://github.com/hundredrabbits/Orca/pull/248 :boom:

Comments, critique and testdrivings welcome. No alternative languages yet, planning to do that next.

1 Like

I’d defintely check out the Polyend Poly 2

Added a couple of loadable libraries to my branch and PR, sbz with duration-based Z and… orca157, the pre-BFL Orca! :wink:

I don’t have any .orca files using old B/F/L operators to test that with. If you do, you could test it by loading your file and either CmdOrAlt-K or $ this command: lang:orca157 (and then lang:default to get the original Orca back).

Hello,

Having some issues connecting to VCV Rack and Logic Pro from Orca.

Looks amazing but when how do I set up midi if I am using a virtual instrument IE VCV Rack and Logic?

I know [command .] cycles through selection but im getting nothing?

Do you need to create a virtual midi channel? If so how would you recommend for mac?

Thanks again in advance!

These instructions are for/from Ableton, but they should get you most of the way there https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209774225-How-to-setup-a-virtual-MIDI-bus

2 Likes

Orca Update!

There hasn’t been a change of behavior in a long long time, but this is to standardize the behavior of cardinals between OrcaC and OrcaJS. The new builds available on Itchio will also now include the Midi Clock sync from @unthankable!

Before this update, a colliding W and E would most likely go through each other, but from now on, they will create a bang:

This will create a chain-reaction effect when two cardinals are following each other closely:

This was already the behavior of OrcaC, but it is now also the behavior of OrcaJS.

Orca x Sunvox

18 Likes

welcome aboard @cancel!

4 Likes

I love Orca - getting the kids into it!

2 Likes

Great news! :slight_smile:

I use LoopMidi to help VCV and Orca speak, never had any issues with it.

1 Like

Did you happen to ever find the solution to this? I was just introduced to Orca, I do most of my music on my iPad just because it’s usually readily available. So the idea of being able to integrate Orca would very much be a plus. Even sending the midi data from Orca on my macbook to my iPad would be helpful.

Little mess around with a trio of Vult Trummor²’s in VCV last night.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHL3CWQhYid/?igshid=l0h8vbonbajr

2 Likes

Work with Live, Bitwig, iOS apps etc. :slight_smile:

1. First things first both devices have to be on the same network.
  2. On the iOS device you need an app called MIDILinkSync.
  3. On the Mac you need to head to Audio Midi Setup.app / Midi Setup / Midi Network Setup
    Connect to you iOS device.
  4. Turn on Link on ya apps and select the same network
1 Like

After a long hiatus, I’m finally getting back into my explorations of Orca, in tandem with Sonic Pi, for live coding. Lately, I’ve added Hydra into the mix for generative visuals, and the three of these tools compliment one another so well.

In these sketches, I’m using Orca to send midi to external synths, as well as osc commands to Sonic Pi. Sonic Pi is recording input from the sound card and then manipulating and playing back the recorded samples (this is all being triggered by osc from Orca). Sonic Pi is also routing osc commands/values from Orca to Hydra, so while the visuals aren’t audio reactive, there is some amount of synchronicity btw the audio and visuals as a result of responding to the same osc input.

There is some very sparse documentation & example code on github if anyone is curious about how to control Sonic Pi from Orca.

orca-terpen from matthew nelson on Vimeo.

orca-garin from matthew nelson on Vimeo.

orca-bartok from matthew nelson on Vimeo.

10 Likes

You’re gold. :ok_hand:
Thanks!

Update v178

Implemented @unthankable’s wire idea in Orca(build178) It allows to chain Y and J operators to send data to previous unreachable places! it’s also a powerful new tool to merge bangs in front of a IO operator.

.J...J....J.....J......
.1Y1.J....1.....J......
.....1YY1.J.....J......
..........1Y1Y1.J......
................1YYYY1.

A valid lowercase wire

...D........
...j........
...j........
....yyyy....
...j....j...
...j....j...
...j....j...

A wire box

...D............
....H...........
...xE...........
.......JJJJ.....
.......JJJ.Y....
.......JJ.YY....
.......J.YYY....
........YYYY....
21 Likes

Having a go at trying to capture that tape ambience with Orca sequencing VCV.

Also my first time using IR’s and Convolution, pretty mind blowing.

Both patches up on patch storage via my insta bio:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHeEYRHhj9A/?igshid=xqn0i4rjoicu

6 Likes

Working on a thing.

I would like to phase out the javascript version over time, and replace it with something leaner and faster.

14 Likes

I can’t seem to get this to work on a diy norns shield (201115).

Could you say a bit more about what’s not working, like which steps you took and what keyboard you’re trying to use?
I’m not using a Norns Shield to run Orca, just an RPi 0W with Orca-C. But I know there are discussions on the Norns Development thread for how to approach multilingual keyboard support in the Norns ecosystem.