Orca - Livecoding Tool

The javascript version of Orca is not a good candidate for the Pi, I recommend the terminal version.

2 Likes

Ok so if I don’t startx on boot it should all run fine? Looks like if I run SunVox in terminal first this is ok too.
I’m running the pi on the 7” touchscreen. I want an aesthetic of just orca on a black screen. Chromium is cool for this because if it’s fullscreen option. But this should all be possible by running it all in terminal from the beginning right?

1 Like

@leolodreamland
I also use Orca and Sunvox on a Raspberry Pi 4 with the touch screen. You should definitely use Orca-C (the terminal version) instead of running the browser. I can help if you have trouble installing it but it was quite straightforward in my case.

I run my Pi in GUI mode using the default terminal app. I don’t know how to make it fullscreen though but there’s probably a way, either in that terminal app or possibly with another one. I personnaly don’t mind having the Task Bar though so I didn’t bother.

You can see my setup in action in this screen recording: Une semaine plus tard - iriseden Peertube

2 Likes

Looks like electron orca - is that terminal?

This is the one I use: ~rabbits/orca - sourcehut git

There’s also this new one, but I don’t know if it is feature complete: ~rabbits/orca-toy - sourcehut git
I haven’t tried it.

thx for the help, but i definitely don’t want any window bezels anywhere… If I don’t run xsession (graphical interface) how do I run SunVox AND Orca?
I got terminal Orca running nicely. Works well with Blofeld. See pic.
But if I want to route to more synths I’ll need SunVox running in background.

ah, so reading up i can install a different terminal app like x-term that will go true fullscreen. this is one approach. any other ideas, so i don’t need to run xsession?

Yes xterm can be run in fullscreen (from the default lxterm xterm -fullscreen And passes the midi to SunVox for distribution using multisynth objects

5 Likes

In a Track, I’ve been thinking about whether there is a way to for example :

..4Cg.................
.D43gTD...D...c...D....
.*:73ag...............

… play the notes in the same place where they are, but offset them a little bit, this is something I would love to achieve with orca, an humanized feeling, playing notes a little bit ahead or behind.

Also probably it could be a nice thing to implement, I dream being able to click into a note and offset with the arrows.

Probably there’s another way to make this possible (not Tracker), what you think?

play the notes in the same place where they are, but offset them a little bit, this is something I would love to achieve with orca, an humanized feeling, playing notes a little bit ahead or behind.

Do you mean not on the clock? Like inbetween beats? If so, add an offset in your synth, in Enfer I have an offset knob that lets me play notes inbetween others. If you mean, a non-destructive way of playing notes on the track, send your Clock operator into the Add operator before going into the Track, and give it an offset like in the video above.

Also probably it could be a nice thing to implement, I dream being able to click into a note and offset with the arrows.

Press ctrl + arrow to move the selection.

3 Likes

wow, thank you so much @neauoire, I got it! that’s amazing, yeah I meant offset inbetween beats, sending the Clock into the Add operator is neat! - I’ll try Enfer, it looks really cool.

I also want to share an exploration of Orca + Hydra + OP-Z ~ thanks for creating this amazing software, so inspiring work!

5 Likes

Hey, thanks a lot for this amazing piece of sw!
newbie here, some questions:

• on numbers, is there a way to realize a countdown?
  • on MIDI note, how can I implement a musical scale spanning along some octaves?

i.e. this, but maybe there’s some smartest way

2C7............
.0A1...........
..101Q#ABCDEFG#
eC5..A.........
.0A..J.........
..0Y0A.........
....JJ.........
..:00A.........
  • last and more stupid question: there are no negative values, right? everything wraps on the zero and go back to the positive value, that’s correct?

again, thank you

on numbers, is there a way to realize a countdown?

If you want to make a countdown, try .fIg., to count down from g.

on MIDI note, how can I implement a musical scale spanning along some octaves?

Notes already span multiple scales, just keep incrementing a letter and it will move to the next octave. See Base36 table.

there are no negative values, right?

No, there are no negative numbers. Numbers only go from 0 to 36.

1 Like

.fIg. is so neat! can’t write the maths, but I understood that

About the scale transposition to octaves, you’re right. But if I understood well, that will work only for a grade-by-grade scale without alterations… let’s say I want CDeFGa, or better CeFDaG that spans over octaves at every round, is my solution a good solution? or is there something brighter?

I don’t know if this was discussed here yet, but… there will be in the next future some plans to increments numbers let’s say to 64? Or do have I give up on that?

Ah yes, that’s fine, also if you don’t want to mess with wires(Y/J), you can store them in variables, like:

..2C6.........
...06TCeFDaG..
...nVC........
...6C3........
....2A3.......
...oV5........
...2Kon.......
...:05C.......

there will be in the next future some plans to increments numbers let’s say to 64?

No, Orca will forever be base36, sorry.

Orca is really cool but I’m hitting a point of frustration with the MIDI implementation. I mostly write chromatic and microtonal music using combinations of mult/add/modulo operations and not being able to refer to MIDI notes precisely is making this rather difficult. I think a potential in-language solution to this would be to build a lookup table that converts numbers into their alphabet representations, but this seems cumbersome and unnecessarily circuitous.

Is there some way to output simple MIDI note numbers in Orca instead of using A-G/a-g? If not, I’m tempted to modify the source because what I would really like to see is a way to output MIDI note numbers 0-127 this way…

:<channel><base><multiplier><offset><velocity><duration>

…where the note value is calculated by (<base>*<multiplier>)+offset. This would allow users to connect Orca to N-tone microtonally-tuned MIDI instruments without jumping through frustrating hoops. As is, I find the prescription to rigid/limited concepts of tonality rather stifling and it is currently an impediment to my enjoyment of this absolutely delightful performance/sequencing framework.

I mostly write chromatic and microtonal music using combinations of mult/add/modulo operations and not being able to refer to MIDI notes precisely is making this rather difficult.

Changing the : operator would make it really difficult for everybody else to write simple tracks, but what you mean by midi implementation is more like the colon midi operator, there are a few variances of the midi operator around, I use a few different ones myself, like a mono implementation, I even have one I use for lighting that uses base36 numbers all the way to 127.

I will not modify the colon operator to handle hex midi notes, but you should create a new operator to do that.

Orca is designed explicitly to be hacked at. Make your own operators tailored to your need, if you keep the special characters for special I/O operations then your projects will remain portable.

4 Likes

Fair enough! I ended up doing exactly that. I’m not sure how correct this is, but here’s a 22EDO demo of the | operator /w Orca+Bitwig.

1 Like

Pipe, excellent choice :slight_smile: Nice track

1 Like

@epf that’s so cool! is implementing microtonal midi operators easy to do? I’m not a very savvy coder at all (I know a tint bit of C#) but would like to try some microtonal stuff in orca.

Is there a way to elude certain MIDI devices?, I have two synths connected to my computer, but I want one of them not to be read by Orca.

I have an es-9 what is the best way folks have found to control a eurorack with Orca?