Orca - Livecoding Tool

On Windows 10. I usually monitor what’s going out of the Pi with ttymidi, but since it didn’t display any clock messages, I wanted to see if it was either not showing them or not sending them at all. And, well, it doesn’t send them at all.

Edit : I just checked ttymidi’s doc and apparently, it doesn’t handle clock messages. Any alternatives?

Oh okay, i don’t have any device that takes midi clock stuff so I never really bothered looking into that sort of things, thanks for correction :slight_smile:

1 Like

sorry, i still have to do any experiments with midi on a raspberry, but i’ll try to test orca-c midi clock output to some midi hardware as soon as i meet a friend with an available device

Well, I checked ttymidi.c’s code and it shoudn’t be that hard to add clock handling. I haven’t type a single line of code for at least 10 years though. I’ll ask a friend too.

I’ve been using ORCA-C as my clock source on Bitwig (over virtual MIDI) and to the NerdSEQ (either directly through the outboard MIDI interface or indirectly through Bitwig to the interface). Not on a Pi, but on Linux and over Alsa. Seems to work as expected.

2 Likes

Devlog

I’ve been pretty quiet on here and I wanted to give a little update. A few weeks ago, I realized that I felt a bit suffocated by C programming and I needed to try something else.

So I’ve designed a little computer created especially to be easily implemented and emulated, and use it as a target for all the tools I make. You can learn more about the path that lead me here.

Uxn emulators are already available for all desktop platforms(win/osx/linux/plan9) and various handhelds(NDS/GBA) and even the web browser. This version will be instantly available for all these various platforms and will include a little uxn sound synth operator.

I should have a demo soon, the goal is to use this upcoming version for Flash Crash, who knows, maybe one day Uxn might even work on the Norns.

22 Likes

This is incredible and confusing at the same time, but it makes me desperately what to learn how to make it exist on my computer

3 Likes

Think of it like running SNES games on a modern computer, you install an emulator that can understand the game(.rom)'s machine code. The Uxn emulator is that same sort of program, it understands the Uxn machine code and draws pixels, plays sounds as if it’s a real device.

Maybe this blog post might help you understand this paradigm better :slight_smile:

To run Uxn on your computer to need to have SDL2 installed(you probably already do).

Installation

git clone https://git.sr.ht/~rabbits/uxn
./build.sh # to start
5 Likes

Awesome thank you!! As a fellow boat dweller and audio + visual artist who doesn’t own a computer less than 11 years old, this is a literal dream!

3 Likes

Oh cool! Are you on mastodon by any chance?

2 Likes

I’m not, but I just googled it and I’m very into it, so I might be very soon!

Edit:
@neauoire they had me at ‘We only list communities that are committed to active moderation against racism, sexism and transphobia.’ Fen (@nonverbalpoetry@queer.party) - Queer Party!

4 Likes

Yes, but can I play Paradise on it?

Seriously though, thanks for continuing to create and share. We don’t deserve you two.

1 Like

Hey, this question has probably been asked a million times, so sorry to ask it again. I want to use ORCA on my PocketCHIP and sequence my hardware which is connected to the Computer using Bitwig (on Windows :confused: Sorry). So I would need my PocketCHIP to act as some kind of client to Bitwig. Is this possible? Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’d have to send your midi signal from the chip to your computer, you’ll need a midi card on your computer.

1 Like

I have an audio interface with MIDI capabilities. Do you mean something like that? But my chip outputs USB Midi, not hardware MIDI

I do something similar to send midi to my laptop from a raspberry pi, I use the Roland UM One to my midi interface. You’d need something like it, unless you find another way to send data from one device to the other, like UDP/OSC.

I’m honestly not well versed in this sort of thing : <

9 Likes

This is absolutely gorgeous - what screen and case is this?

It’s the 240x320(2.2") TFT LCD Screen, with the Alu CNC Case.
They were all over ali express a few years back, their new models are terrible.
The only downside of this model is that the casing blocks wifi signal.

1 Like

Sorry for not reading this whole thread but has anyone got orca running on an iOS device and if so, can you please share how?

Thanks!

https://orca.wtf/ might work on your iPad.

Devlog

Here’s a little progress video of Orca being written in Assembly.

6 Likes