Orca - Livecoding Tool

hahaha, att du fanns här, har ju sett dig på youtube!

har ingen koll på pilot, men borde inte va svåre än att instalera och skicka “;xxxx” istället för “:xxxxx”

Har bara skickat midi från orca till ableton/hårdvara

1 Like

aaAAAaaa nu funkar de ju! Trodde att jag inte skrev in rätt port eller nåt innan. Tackar och fortsätt med dina videor

1 Like

Tried reacreating Devine Lu Linvega’s tracker with a few twists:
much fun.

3 Likes

has anybody been able to successfully sequence VCV rack with Orca WHILE using a midi hardware controller (on Win10 using loopMIDI)? My VCV rack keeps crashing when I add the controller to midi - cc

halp

ORCA csound pilot
midi : and udp ; operators, same patch

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7JWAHTJn0u/?igshid=n9mrsoukroak

A quick test was successful on my end, and I think that I’ve successfully used such a setup before, as well.

Does it happen a fresh patch with nothing plugged in to the MIDI modules? Does it crash immediately upon selection of the second MIDI device? Or does it happen when things get busy? The only thing I can think of is low specs or a buggy module. Otherwise there’s this little performance issue that’s being fixed on the horizon:

But that should only effect audio interfaces as far as I know.

Quick question - can I get midi CC inputs into Orca from a controller

Has anyone figured out how to make a snare drum sound using Pilot?

1 Like

As far as I can tell, no. This is something I’ve been wanting badly and thought that ORCA’s document used to have a note receiving operator; although I was likely mistaken about that, it certainly isn’t there now.

The only comparable thing I can think of is to use a lower case increment operator (i) and manually trigger it if, for instance, you just want to cycle through values in the process of construcing a sequence or something, though this is obviously limited in terms of direction and a singular cursor position (certainly there are workarounds for these limitations, but none that quite compare to turning knobs or pushing sliders).

What would you use that for? Or at least, what would be your ideal usecase so I can better understand what you have in mind?

My friend, I appreciate your assistance in the matter.

I’ve narrowed the issue down to two culprits whom refuse to work together within VCV Rack:

loopMIDI & 16n controller

With loopMIDI running, the introduction of 16n crashes VCV Rack immediately.

Of course the 16n operates fine on VCV Rack without loopMIDI running.

Are there any alternatives to loopMIDI for bridging orca to VCV Rack? Any professionals care to weigh in on potentially helpful settings which will allow resolution and unity between these two sworn problem children? Perhaps I am missing a 16n driver?

Best wishes

For example I might have a Euclidean operator and assign the step level to a fader to control density. So I’d need a way to grab 0-127 from the CC (or OSC or UDP), then to scale it to 0-16 (say) for the step.
It might be interesting to assign multiple values in a patch to one fader as a macro control.
Later, maybe it would be possible to slide a selected block east and west with a CC.
I remember asking Alex a similar question re: TidalCycles and it does feel a bit like crossing / mixing the paradigms, so I understand if it’s not something you’d consider.

Oh! I actually do that during my sets. It’s not very hard, there’s a whole part of orca designed to do just that :slight_smile: Depending how you work, it shouldn’t be too hard to setup. If you have puredata or max, it’s very easy.

You want to send your midi controller knob values to max/pd/etc, and route this to orca(like Ryu was doing), but basically, what you want to do is send UDP commands to orca when you turn the knob.

If you send write:4;2;3, it will put "4", at x2,y3.

• Read your midi knob, with max/pd/etc.
  • Send UDP “write” message, to orca.
1 Like

Getting same results with orca pi to modular. It’ll set the run light on but no clock out.
As for speed on the pi I’m happy with it in pi 3B. I’m only sending midi.

3 Likes

as for using Live Link sending the run command, i’m getting better results

so the left outlet resets the frames every bar, and the right outlet bangs every beat so keeps the frames ticking over.
the reset isn’t instant like it misses this bar so at 112bpm i give a delay of 900ms to keep it in sync and the frames i give a delay of 9ms to allow for latency… will post a video of it in action later…

4 Likes

Fantastic, just about got it working. The trick was escaping the semicolons in the write command:

11 Likes

You are all mad, I love it.

4 Likes

much love for the mad peps around!

guys I want to share my happiness with you… trying out to find a good usb to midi interface I just found this borrowed from a friend…
midi mate ex

it has 2 indipendent I/O so you can send or receive 2 out or ins the same time… the problem is that most sw just see a port ( it has 2 ports . 1 and 2) each time… trying to merge midi devices on mac os didnt work (cause you can aggregate just audio device with midi but no midi devices)

so I just send my midi from orca to ableton live via iac driver and than to my synth routing different track on ableton (that merge midi device natively) and splitting my midi msgs to single synth…

hope this could help or inspire somebody

happiness its a warm gun (cit.) :star_struck:

1 Like

Took a while. Couldn’t get soundflower working. Turned out it had weirdly muted itself in the system. Aargh.
4 Likes

This is so awsome, thanks to @ryu , @TomWhitwell , @leolodreamland and @neauoire I have been able to experiment with the MaxMSP to ORCA capabilities. I have found that you can control “start, stop, run, frame:0, find, copy, paste, erase, BPM, APM, skip and rewind” along with being able to control the position and writing in operators. This has truely been eye-opening for me, thank you so much all of you are amazing and I really loves this community.

UDP-Max-Patcher

----------begin_max5_patcher----------
1202.3oc0ZsraaiCEcs8WgfPW5wPjTublMMKmUy1NnMHf1hNUoRTBjTNISQ+
2G9PxOlRaKYKqnfBnFSQqCO2yk2GT9mSm3tr3UB204Nmu5LYxOmNYhdH0.Sp
+7D2b7qqxvb8zbyIbN9Ih6Ly8DjWE5wAgMCklnGnX4y+AxuYPZUdJMiHzODX
8fkXwpumRe5QFYkvrHBCCmGLyA34M2alCbg5CP3bOmG18fJpDMOIP8nlgDuU
RLOFWWmGT24WSmptL6ZIWfMxg5L4fAuijaUQdNgJ9Mx8WTNgIb96RBCKJX1X
JvJSAmho.EEChUWWfzz06nD06BXSV5Fx7jTbVyRaClQw4jCu4WgOXgOfs7oD
yjeGAg8HghWlQ1mVskqA.M+hBTW8071O9nbEdTQcli65rBr7o17M43MjjGwB
AKcYkfr6u30FlZKih7YUjh0MC2L99Dj+8BlXqE5e3jFK2AypYA4Y4dUzTAW7
V1QmPVA8I6ZfYtZIt4+tM5MxpdC6S8123U+wRu+x.p2nATuA1z6nav1af2Gp
s2kE7gRtACmbaK2zMXq8GKs9KCmV2CBMk7hT19shPJw+vwy7ul6stftij2yr
K+.n8ZS7OtHijanUUg4Go05PS0ImuLL05gm9uFGK4zGlROkwskqboH8su8ml
Kf.80s7NKkRVUTQE66S1RiWmqOu13AA9lMJ5jfnfQtw6S.kI6SP8Uj9peGcy
BtPKEHxDRA4Mpcyt2ZYxK5JoCh8UjNH58nAmSDZg28.K.6JN5rjuIvhGXTq3
uvREj6bteuPJgcxB4egNGaic7gv9bXniNYffWnApIjwH2.QXXNwBsi6dnRTj
4bQzISVzRVeioWIlKrRuNerOv338nW73fdqJJeyF6.clc996pYF4ONX25TZh
sFC67VRn2dravSnUkujX6.47CNUWOdcrqGjGTmz1bjcmqNkS10yRL8o9M4Mi
TRnINLxKRI8Na1Bj6kw2XcsqKBFVO1iqov9TSUIYG6ZJ+GokVUTO2KisFEMF
LRTTzh9TQAPznWQwk41DTTj6kQ1ZAEMNRpvpn1pxyqq4TVrXW4.ik2v0ZkC5
cd1ZDpy06.LmbV8onMRJmiKJJswtNqdA6WtCXjTqZF1Zwbcka6Wm5PGE8zQV
VZOxRXmy8Cd+hqbzDE8a0bfQaZh7We1gRDyqRJmyUp5mwIILoOsLdezb4ZcN
v4ykELgLpAHzZvntp2ZOZn4c0Ai6otSzea84t9+9oSnW.pwOz1vKpXqZdTM+
tHb1sHRHbQJEKRKn6MI8IP4.Oh.zZnPsFJvUBk5HoOOTpCr2AcsPAaMTWqAL
p0Hcs1OTqQx6JQRcDMmGp9.HzPADXn.ZfvIBNP.ENP3zFWtvd.G+1.jOpOPZ
nbt8aiufpq4qGIuAhRpdiOKPnn9.onAhRvgx10JuAS9nl5YXIxBOO5uzt9D3
CiCuEXv0kten1ooeOusHI7Mw71RvuIFXX6pcKnOrwfEstjzqGq1XRg8ARW1t
eSqD3xxMDFudxZLjMT8bgVYimo+XJ07QcOJtLxlzl4aFAyj89HjM9TwLuVxW
CMugV27BoOBsJs1MQxNIj5l0TuBSdI1PDcOcS+0z+CjDmqJI
-----------end_max5_patcher-----------

I am also trying to make a Github repo for various ways of connecting ORCA with MaxMSP, I hope some of you may find this useful. Let me know if there is something that I am missing, or could add to this repo

6 Likes