Orca - Livecoding Tool

I am looking for a way to create a vallue that is bigger then Z. So something bigger then 36. The A function has not been my friend yet.

The cell itself can’t hold a value higher than 36, but you could create a patch that saves the overflow of an addition onto another cell, and use two numbers to represent a higher value.

If you want to simply send a value that it bigger than Z, you could use the byte or note operators, in the Uxn version, to send a value between 0-255.

1 Like

Hey! Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but I’m just wondering if there’s a way to clock the random function?

Edit:

Should probably add some context incase there’s another way to do it. I’m trying to get some random notes in a scale but I just want to slow this down a bit.

Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 11.15.15 pm

you can use a lowercase R and it will only fire when it receives a bang - then you can clock it with an adjacent D or U command, etc

this is true of the lowercase version of any command, btw :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh wow that changes everything! Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve been doing some hex dumping of network traffic – strictly for responsible educational purposes of course – and it’s been reminding me of Orca and you all.

Keep bleeping!!

8 Likes

why this hex dump look like it bout to drop the most fire orca techno set of 2022

9 Likes

After years of Orca, I can assure you that whenever I see dot-filled hexdumps, my brain automatically tries to make sense of it as an Orca program first.

7 Likes

Has anyone actually made a script that converts any file to Orca format, with “this is what it’d look like in the character portion of hex editor with this column width” kind of logic, “quantizing” the unknown symbols to anothers or simply removing them? I’m sure that would be interesting…

1 Like

I would start with the old school Unix ways

~ $ hexdump --skip 6666 --length 128 software/uxn-roms/orca-toy/bin/orca.rom -C | cut --delimiter='|' --fields 2 | head -n -1
Orca input
.n.8.&...8....&.
......8.&...8..#
....!....""l#Com
ments a line..!.
.i..8..!!..i....
.8..........."bl
..7...."bl..o...
8...'.......?...

Then some transformation filter with tr, sed, awk or Python (or Perl ;))

2 Likes