Orca

I was able to fix this by moving this line to this line. this is how the ‘vanilla’ (old) version of the _midi.lua file had it, assumedly it doesn’t shut the notes off if you group it at the top. heads up @Frederickk.

1 Like

Cool. I’ll check it out and test. Thanks for the heads up

1 Like

Very dumb question, but when I plugged in my computer keyboard to my norns running orca, it wouldnt let me type in it? is there a reason for this?

I would check SYSTEM>DEVICES>HID and make sure your keyboard is selected in slot 1

yeah wow, my bad on not noticing it earlier tysm

No worries, have fun!

hi. i’ve really been enjoying orca on norns, i loved it on my laptop, but something about having it in this form factor is very inspiring to me.

i’m having a specific midi issue, and i’m a bit of a midi noob so please forgive me if this is obvious.

i’ve had great success sequencing my digitakt with orca on norns, and i was very excited to try and use it to sequence my modular using hermod. so i’m running usb midi out from norns to the device in on hermod. hermod is providing the clock and transport. i’ve noticed that even on a blank script in orca, if the clock is running, orca seems to be sending midi data to channels 1 - 5 even if theres no code, resulting in some note data and gates being sent out making those channels kind of unusable. channels 6 - 8 seem to be working as intended and are having no issues with notes or gates.

i know this is super specific to hermod, but any insight would be much appreciated!

Can you let norns drive the clock? Is there a specific reason in your use case to have hermod leading for the click signal instead if allowing norns to lead?

hmmm, i’m trying that now and it seems to be doing the same thing. i’ve got a sequence from orca running into port 2 on orca which is channel 1 on hermod. it seems to be sending the notes from orca, but it still seems to be firing off a single low midi note for each beat of the clock.

there was no real reason for me to be having hermod drive the clock. i’m pretty new to using midi between devices so i’m kind of just throwing things until they stick. i’ve been pretty lucky up til this point ha.

While I trust you have figured it out after finding the file, there must be more people that have non-US keyboard layouts and want to use ORCA on norns - like me. So maybe the following is useful to them.

I took some time last night to type through my Germany QWERTZ keyboard with the hid-events script (thanks @okyeron) and recorded the codes. Then I remapped them in a copy of the keycodes.lua and replaced the original under /home/we/dust/code/orca/lib/ [save the original!, accessed norns filesystem through WinSCP]. I am missing a few characters, which are there in the original (like []{}|~@) but I have no idea how to get the alt-right functionality working. Simple enough to use the knobs to put in those characters and still much better overall experience than memorizing the US layout. File attached, make sure to rename it to keycodes.lua. If someone gets it into even better shape, that would be awesome.
keycodes [DE].lua (5.0 KB)

6 Likes

Just starting using ORCA and I LOVE IT!
Some bugs I ran in to:

• Maybe its described above, but I have to use | for Timber, ’ or ‘’ don’t work.
  • The level param in Timber is not working for me and when adjusted in the sample under parameters, it just keeps going back to -48.
  • BPM is not saved with project (by design?)
  • Sometimes I have to reload the folder of files Timber uses even when they show under sample 1, sample 2 etc.
  • The above also happens when I load a project, making it unfit for live situations.
  • When I switch from a file that uses Timber to a file that plays JF, the Timber files keep triggering and I have to restart ORCA.

Thanks heaps!! This is redefining how I compose, and already dreaming of a very small case with a crow, JF and some other things and just a norns and keyboard as a liveset!

3 Likes

Has anyone done a tutorial for orca, specifically geared towards norns??

3 Likes

I found this video to be very helpful as an intro, but alas it is not for norns specifically. You are probably aware of it.

1 Like

yeah I was gonna say the AA tutorials too but assumed maybe you already got there and it wasn’t Norns-y enough. there aren’t a lot of differences, mostly just Monome or Mannequins specific operators in Norns Orca, Softcut, Timber, Just Friends and Crow, but the AA tutorials got me going right away on Norns (Fates). I think there is an opening for some programming tip videos though, beyond the basic functionality.

3 Likes

I have to say @Allieway_Audio videos are so good – I’ve watched the Double Knot video a couple of times even if i don’t have one and don’t care to get one but the video is just to entertaining. This reminds me to watch the Orca videos again and put it to practice with norns actually

2 Likes

@Allieway_Audio was definitely one of the first tutorials I watched when I downloaded Orca on my mac. There was a lot of great info. The video they posted with the cascade effect really got me thinking outside the box with it too.
I’m still really new to the Norns adaptation though, and I personally do better with a show and tell method rather than a manual method of learning. If that makes sense. Anyways! I just wasn’t sure if anyone had put one together yet.

2 Likes

Are you supposed to be able to move the cursor with arrow keys on a standard keyboard? Only way that I can make it move around is with the encoders on the Norns (ok, Fates for me).

---- Update

Solved the arrow-key thing by switching to another keyboard. Guess it was something with the keymap of the other keyboard.

I’m having some issues with level and offset in Timber. They don’t seem to do anything. Otherwise I’m loving this. First tried out Orca on my computer, but being able to use samples directly in Orca so great.

Can you post an example of your Orca code? That would help with the Timber params debug.

Ok, something simple as a

D

|3C0…

Changing the two parameters after the 0 (sample) doesn’t affect anything for me.

1 Like

yes those timber params have been broken since the update.