Ornament and Crime

Why not having an additional teensy with another firmware preloaded and calibrated, then switch as you wish? Although you have to make sure you have preserved a socket at the teensy position of the main board, rather than solder the teensy permanently. In principle it should works, I believe all calibration data should be saved in the teensy, so if it switched it shouldn’t need to be recalibrated again.

well, the single thing i like most about o_C is that in most modes you end up with 4 very related signals out of it. i have multiple voices in my system i sometime like to orchestrate in a very cohesive way, and many apps in o_c are there to help me achieve this. in 14 hp :slight_smile: i find it unreplaceable and while i can see the usefulness of the hemisphere apps they don’t cover a 1/4 of the usefulness o_c represents in my system. but of course, everybody has its own peculiar needs.

I might have another argument against oC compared to Hemi: I am more the visual guy and the abstract nature of the oC apps makes them difficult to grasp, but when I bought them I hoped that I would understand them easily, but that was not the case. The Hemi apps deliver more of that visual stuff, a bit like Omnimod, more a WYSIWYG approach maybe.

I grasp the concept of the different apps in oC especailly with the help of the series of videos on Youtube by Voltage Control Lab, but as I am not using oC often enough, I have to wrap my head around those concepts anew at each session, as the abstract nature of the apps is not my cup of tea.

Take for example ER-301, which takes also a way more visual approch with the nesting of the apps, though not perfect, it helps me remember things.

I’m not here to make the oC apps look bad, I’m just not the guy they are aimed at.

For me I think it’s just a matter of familiarity. It’s not that I can’t grok the vanilla apps - just need to spend more time with them, I suppose, and there are so many things to consume my attention. (Lately ER-301 plugin development seems to be getting the lions share)

So I’ll take you up on your offer. What’s your favorite or most used app, why, and for what role do you use it?

Is there anything like a one page super condensed cheat sheet? I find the manual to be overwhelming when I’m just wanting to get an overview of the different apps (original O_c apps)…

Thanks!

Cheat Sheet for v1.2

It’s for the 1.2 version, but I think that most things are still the same regarding in/outs, etc.

yes, some stuff is still very similar.
i did mine on two pages of a small notebook i use to write down patches and ideas.
you do it once, you have it forever.
keep in mind that it’s a long time since last update and that the processing power of o_c is almost maxxed out so i don’t think we’ll se major updates in the future. i guess it’s more probable that we’ll see a mk2 than a major update but i might be wrong.

This is impossible with how the firmware works. Each of these systems is unique firmware that needs to be loaded (like factory vs Parasites with Mutable Instruments modules). The original Ornaments and Crimes firmware also uses nearly all the available memory on the Teensy micro-controller - thus there no really much room there to add-on.

Another big fan of Hemisphere over the excellent original O+C firmware. I found myself using only half of the original apps, wishing I could split the rest of the unit for another task. Seems like I wasn’t the only one.

Just loving this discussion and finding myself nodding at both sides of the divide here. It’s great to be spoiled for choice with this module.

Just picked up an o_C this week from someone after selling my old one a few months back, inspired by Hemisphere which looks great. The visuals-over-menus philosophy, one-function-per-app, and asynchronicity (as well as optional synchronicity) of the two hemispheres seem perfect for me. Haven’t installed it yet, but will share my thoughts once I do.

Is anyone using or plan to use the features that require use of the micro USB port on the back of the module? How are you setting up your rack for that? I’ve got a little (2hp?) gap on the lower right of my rack where a micro USB to USB cable is peeking out from the o_C for now, but it seems inelegant and aesthetically displeasing (we all know elegance and aesthetics are important with modular!) I plan to experiment with the robust-seeming Captain MIDI Hemisphere app that uses USB MIDI, as it looks promising for integrating my Digitakt with modular. Just wish that micro USB port was on the front rather than the back!

I’ve had the same opinion. This might be worth a watch for you. It somehow kickstarted my imagination about things I might use a quadrature LFO for. The QLFO stuff is around the 18m mark.

maybe using a blind panel, with a extension from the microUSB port on the back connected to a hole drilled on the panel

Great idea, will have to seriously consider this if that port ends up being useful.

I’ve been trying to peek around the various apps from both vanilla o_C and Hemisphere to find an answer to this, but maybe yall could help me out. Does any app overlap with the functionality of (or provide solutions for) either of these two voltage scaling modules I’ve been thinking about picking up? Alternatively I’ve also got a Disting Mk3 I’ve barely dug into yet, would that work instead for either?

Pico MScale - “precision scaler to adapt Moog Mother 32 to eurorack standard 1V/oct control voltages… [I]t has two sections – upper one adds 5V to the input voltage, other subtracts 5V from the input voltage. Of course, the module is not limited for use with Moog Mother 32 only. You can use it as a regular eurorack precision voltage scaler.” I want to use this as intended, for voltage scaling with my Mother 32.

ALM S.B.G. - “a compact utility module intended for the interfacing of guitar effect pedals with your eurorack modular system… Regulation/conditioning of CV modulation signals intended for pedal expression inputs.” I want to use this with a floating ring cable to receive/send CV signals to and from both effects pedals and the pedal I/O on the back of my Matrixbrute. Safe operation for pedals is 0 to +3V, so -5V to +5V CV signals need to be scaled to 0 to +3V and vice versa.

(I understand that there may be creative solutions for what both of these modules offer - for example, the attenuators in Maths can be configured for scaler duties? So something in o_C might work that’s not literally called a scaler. Transposing? Offset? Adding/subtracting?
Attenuation? This is where I get a bit lost)

The O_C hardware isn’t well suited to that sort of scaling – the output voltage range is limited to -3 to +6V, input is -3.5 to +6.5V, and from what I gather, the ADC resolution is too limited for unquantized pitch.

well, that puts my elaborate question to rest very succinctly, haha. I wonder if the Disting can do this… I may have read somewhere that it has a -10 to +10V range, and it does have a precision adder (can that function like a precision scaler?)

Version 1.5 of Hemisphere Suite launched today:

Hemisphere Suite 1.5’s theme is the compositional use of shift registers. Its centerpiece is Enigma, a shift register (a.k.a. “Turing Machine”) workstation. This release also adds RunglBook (a chaotic shift-register modulator based on Rob Hordijk’s rungler circuit), "A"SR (a 256-step “analog” shift register delay), ShiftGate (a shift-register-based aleatoric gate/trigger sequencer), Enigma Jr., an applet that allows CV selection of Turing Machines, and more.

Here’s the complete list of updates for 1.5:

• Significantly changed the operation of Screen Saver mode . The calibration option now sets the number of minutes, not seconds, until the screen saver activates. The screen saver is now “screen blanking,” and always simply darkens the screen. You can blank the screen at any time by long-pressing the Up button.
  • Added full app Enigma , a shift register (a.k.a. “Turing Machine”) workstation that allows you to curate a library of up to 40 Turing Machine-like registers and build four track songs by chaining them together. The philosophy involves the use of shift registers as repeatable compositional elements rather than ephemeral improvisational elements. (https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki/Enigma)
  • LowerRenz: Fixed issue that potentially caused a crash when both hemispheres had LowerRenz selected.
  • Carpeggio: Standardized tuning and note values , to A=440Hz, C4=0V, C4=MIDI Note #60
  • Added applet Enigma Jr. , which allows real-time composition (via CV) using your Enigma library. (https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki/Enigma,-Jr.)
  • Fixed issue that caused quantizer latency to be higher than it should have been.
  • Added applet RunglBook , a chaotic shift-register modulation based on Rob Hordijk’s rungler circuit. (https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki/RunglBook)
  • Added applet Squanch , a Shifting Quantizer/Adder. (https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki/Squanch---Shifting-Quantizer)
  • Added applet "A"SR , an analog shift register delay. In one hemisphere, it has two outputs; when selected in two hemispheres, the buffer is linked and uses all four outputs. (https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki/"A"SR)
  • Added applet ShiftGate , a dual shift register-based aleatoric gate or trigger sequencer (https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki/ShiftGate)
  • Removed References , the last of the original Ornament and Crime apps.
  • Envelope Follower: Added per-channel configuration for Follow and Duck functions.
  • MIDI In/MIDI Out: Log is now accessed with button push rather than screen saver activation (because screen saver is no longer a thing; see above).
  • ShiftReg: Increased low range to 0V for better support of digital oscillators.
  • Sequence5: Same as above
  • Minor font changes to improve readability

Enigma sounds neat; though the fact it can’t actually save its whole state makes it a confusing add?

Sad to see References removed from hemispere. Recently bought a uO_c just for having my oscillators calibrated to a perfect v/octave response for polyphony (yes I’m lazy, but it’s quite fiddly and error prone on some). Heavy underutilizing this module, but there seems to be nothing around for my needs, other than the upcoming klavis. But getting a huge bag of possible tricks at the same time is crazy cool :slight_smile:

@sakul Definitely a bummer that references is gone. Comes in handy no doubt. Have you checked out the noise engineering tuner? I have debated about pulling the trigger on this myself. https://www.noiseengineering.us/shop/soleo-vero