Otis

New otis version! (with lfo’s!) re-download and replace (or git pull, if that’s your thing)

12 Likes

I just took this for a spin for the first time and it’s stunning. I turned on some LFO’s and nearly lost my mind! Fantastic! Great work, @Justmat

3 Likes

the LFO implementation is super smart – wow, thank you for this work and externalizing the function :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Thank you! and thanks to @ypxkap for the lfo maths and inspiration

3 Likes

work has been brutal lately, so super happy to see the lua lfos dream spread! so helpful to see real world examples of how to break out to a library as well.

in hnds.lua, does it make sense to make line 100 use the number of outputs variable from earlier?

for i = 1, number_of_outputs do

next stop exponential shapes…

2 Likes

absolutely makes sense! in fact, I can’t believe I missed it :sweat_smile: thanks!!

edit: it is done.

A billion thank yous for this! I was already having some great fun with this and the LFOs add so much more depth to what’s possible.

2 Likes

This isn’t very good, but I’m just excited about otis + lfos and wanted to share

doty

5 Likes

Just been watching the Hainbach video about the Cocoquantus. Ah!!! makes a lot of sense & gives me some ideas for working with this.

which leads me to @cosmicsoundexplorer comment

Wow this looks so good, will be trying it tonight!
Any plans to make a grid based ui?

Something like the Cocoquantas oscillator bit in the middle might be workable with the grid?

Also - request time: would be lovely to be able to do intervals with the tape speed changing - 4ths or 5ths - that kind of thing. You can end up with a terrible out of tune gloop if you aren’t careful (or even worse something that sounds beautiful and then you play over the top of it and your instrument sounds out of tune :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking up a grid ui :slight_smile: and some sort of

has definitely been in my thoughts

10 Likes

Your thoughts are clearly a place of great power. I look forward to What’s Next.

1 Like

never used a real coco but this app feels great
captures the spirit of CL in a digital box

10 Likes

I spent some more time with this over the weekend, and am really really digging it. I have some various thoughts/ideas: some type of modulation matrix exposed on the grid with patch points for LFOS downs one side and targets down the other (and more targets like speed, etc). I would also like to see a parameter for toggling the bit depth (to get that coco crunch), an implementation of the input/feedback AM Invert, and then maybe speed mods based on steps, because you know, math :slight_smile: don’t know if any of it is doable, or desired by anyone else, but just wanted to put it out there as potential ideas down the road. Many many thanks @Justmat!

5 Likes

yeah - I’ve been jamming on It over the weekend too (for hours :wink: ) and watching cocoquatas videos - definitely interested in some of these ideas. I’m seeing beyond “simple loops” into making rhythms by repetitive modulation, bit crushing definitely cool too. Modulation Matrix sounds sweet

My personal goal is for this and MLR to be part of a live setup so I’m after “playable” - hence the need to be able to manage speed changes to be in tune

2 Likes

It makes me very happy that people are enjoying otis! Idea’s noted :smiley:

Also, I am open to pull requests :sweat_smile: Just wanted to throw that out there lol

7 Likes

I love this, it reminds me of a lot of the sound design / atmosphere FX in Mother 2 (Earthbound), as if it somehow got out of the SNES chip to resonate into the real world. Can’t wait to dig into Otis some more !

2 Likes

Love this script. Just played around with the LFOs :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I would love for midi controlled speed to quantize according to the gui.

It would also be neat if speeds maxed out at a multiple of the current value when in octaves mode, in order to not lose the tuning of the buffer until intentionally set back to an even number. Or perhaps my issue is more the speed selection jumping a bit too quick for my touch when in ‘octaves’ mode? (Maybe I’m getting into making-my-own-stuff-territory?haha)

But…

Amazing script, really, truly, Thank you!

1 Like

This is definitely something I over looked, don’t think I have ever midi controlled speed before! :sweat_smile: I haven’t had very much Norns time over the past week, but I am planning a small update for this weekend. I will try to work this out as well.

3 Likes