Otis

good reminder to go back and read any of his writings as much as possible. I’m losing it at “indicator-lozenge”

5 Likes

time to start porting some c++

3 Likes

This is lovely. Might I also suggest tape length as an LFO target? Also seconding the suggestion for more speed quantize options!

2 Likes

Thanks! Tape length modulation could be fun, let me think about how I would do it. :slight_smile: Re: speed quantize options, I totally agree. I’ve been sort of imagining quantizing to semitones and integrating the grid as a sort of sequence-able “speed/note memory” type thing.

7 Likes

Have you seen gridcut? It’s my favorite semi-secret Norns lib

2 Likes

no, but now I want to… where can I find it?

i dunno if this is what is meant. super simple thing, made quick for a show

[ https://github.com/catfact/zebra/blob/master/lib/grid_cut.lua ]

2 Likes

thinking about this more in the cold light of day

we probably want to impl this in lua as opposed to SC since it’s control level stuff right?

Like, afaik, there isn’t a meaningful/established way to wire up SC control data to norns/lua controls/params, right?

edit: in a freely assignable matter, that is (ala how the lfos are implemented now).

@zebra @justmat that is what was meant. It’s a fun addition to anything that doesn’t have a grid interface already

1 Like

Today I adapted the “balls” interface from @enneff’s Rebound to control otis. (really just tlps)
so much fun! :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

12 Likes

I really want to try and make a grid control scheme for otis. First and foremost to adjust the tapelenght / tape start. Any other ideas on ways the controls could work on a grid?

1 Like

I’ve been toying with various grid layouts, but haven’t found anything I love yet. Though I do like quantizing speed to semitones and using several grid buttons as speed memory cells.

7 Likes

fixed steps to shift the tape speed so you can make pitched changes

5 Likes

I’m still really interested in the Quantussy aspect. - still not got any spare time to offer but if some appears then I’ll give you a shout. Feels like that would be a good use of the grid somehow (patching/routing)

3 Likes

This would be incredible :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How much speed adjustments is needed for this? Would be nice to have. Is it possible to adjust the startpoint of the tape?

to quantize to semitones just divide each octave by 12.

I just use the softcut command directly for setting loop length, there is also a loop start command.

softcut.loop_start(voice, value)
softcut.loop_end(voice, value)

A loop start param would be simple to add, and fun to play with. I’ll do it this morning.

Edit: @noiserock et al., I added the loop start param. re-download and replace, or git pull to update.

1 Like

looking at the grid layout for cranes might be inspirational? I find it to be quite good.

Not all of the concepts map one to one of course, but there seem to be some shared analogies.

3 Likes

Anyone against me removing the “speed” and “skip” behavior options, on the edit page. For “loop start” and “loop end”? (speed and skip behavior options would persist in the params menu.)

5 Likes

Works for me, thanks @Justmat!

1 Like