Oxi One Sequencer

Looks like the Oxi One sequencer is now shipping to folks, so figured I’d create a thread so folks can share their experience. I just read the manual and it looks like it can function as a monome grid. Mine is on the way and I’ll report back once I test it out. I’ll make sure to try it out with Norns as well to see how it works as a grid.

Info on the sequencer: https://oxiinstruments.com/

From manual about it acting as a grid: https://imgur.com/a/dH7mHSk

4 Likes

Looks like the OXI One has a Monome Grid mode integrated in the firmware. Anyone know more?

3 Likes

All I know is the above screenshot from the manual. I get mine in about a week and should be able to test with a Norns and see if I need to tweak scripts or if it works out the box

anyone can make a monome-compatible grid because we openly publish the serial interface.

at our request they removed the prominent advertising of monome compatibility.

i would suggest focusing on the actual intended features that the designer spent so much time creating, rather than immediately wonder what else it can do. i’m sure monome compatibility will work, but that’s really not the point.

it’s like if people received monome grids and instantly asked “can it act like an ableton push” (the answer is, sure, but)

each design has its strengths and goals. aim for those.

32 Likes

I pre-ordered one a few weeks ago – really looking forward to it! It looks like it’ll be a great modular sequencer.

As a matter of facts I personally could pre-order it instead of the Monome Grid since the KS started BUT like you just wrote ( with all my huge respects towards the OXI’s guys ) my focus was to disconnect from the usual sequencing thinking and approaching the Norns mode as I already have a plethora of harmonizer-randomizer and sequencers like in my weaponry of choice, said that is one of the most interesting grids since Monome released the GRID and I had both the 64 and 128 unit but never owned a varibright and ready to strike the call exactly at NYE round my side of the world. Happy NEW YEAR everyone

Just received mine today. Need to finish up this weeks Weekly Beats and then dive in. Very excited

3 Likes

what kind of USB port does the oxi one have? I can’t find it on their site.

It uses a USB type C cable.

1 Like

Fantastic news. I’m way too picky about cables and that’s the correct one :joy:

3 Likes

So for who already tried it with Norns how do you like it as Grid emulation?
Also does it will work with Teletype/Ansible?

4 Likes

would also be intersted in this …

first few hours of really focusing on it (with the manual open) I am starting to understand the workflow a bit more and I am pretty excited to keep pushing.

3 Likes

i really like the look of this new stochastic sequencing mode

4 Likes

Wanted to revamp this thread as the most recent batch of Oxi Ones was recently released; I received mine only yesterday and I have to say I’m in love with this machine. I’ve yet to use the device with any hardware, just some sequencing through AUM, but I’m beyond pleased.

3 Likes

For those of you using the One with modular, how’s the accuracy of the CV outs?

1 Like

Having used both the units built in outputs as well as the Oxi Pipe module I don’t have complaints!

1 Like

I’ve been digging on it last 6 months and it’s pretty good! It adds new ways for sequencing.
For me it fits more between DAW and eurorack.
You can have Ableton link and use tempo sync from OXI to your eurorack… This is one of the coolest functions.

But about Monome… for me, it won’t replace my monome grid.
It works with ansible and also Norns making the trick Matt mentioned… But led info it’s not as clear as in the original monomer grid. For me it’s really hard to see if you have a led full brightness and half brightness on certain pages.

I own grid, Norns, Ansible and Crow… And I will still keep using them. Because they just work perfect and I only need to use them.
As @tehn said… better to keep focus on the main features of it.
OXI is absolutely great for certain things, but it’s not a monome grid replacement (at least not for me).

3 Likes

That’s disappointing to hear. I was hoping this would tick lots of boxes for me. Hopefully the Oxi team can sort these issues and integrate more closely with monome

1 Like

I’m about a week in with the One, and I have to say I’m really enjoying it. It feels like the device I’ve always wanted; something to perfectly bridge the gap between desktop, euro, and software. I did end up ordering a Pipe, which should arrive this weekend.

I was able to get mine working with factory Norns by going to SYSTEM>DEVICES, and then moving “oxi monome” into the #1 slot.

3 Likes