Patchwork

Exactly what I was thinking! Thanks for the consideration as always

3 Likes

@Olivier
What a fantastic update to wake up to!
Super excited to layer JF and OP-1. Thank you for continuing to improve this amazing sequencer :pray:

2 Likes

yes that is a great idea, i was playing this today and i would definitely like internal clocks instead of clocking crow externally. I think the difference for me is i would also like 2 independent internal clocks where you could dial in the exact bpm of how you like and not locked / divided also. I very often run 2 clocks with identical patterns 1 bpm apart for phasing / Reich type stuff. So the divider i would welcome, but also the ability to choose exact bpm also still there, if possible as an option.

The other thing i use a lot to get a different feel is a way to modulate the internal clock in some way instead of having a steady bpm. like a probability change every x time and a bpm range. Just to give the pattern some swing. Its something you can easily do when clocking externally with crow, but can become lost when moving to an internal clocking system.

This is a great update! Love that you provided midi and more i2c outputs. It makes it lot more accessible. Thankyou!

6 Likes

Got something in the works :clock10:

8 Likes

Oh exciting!
As long as the standard operation remains too. I love sending in rhythmic gates that i manually change too. Adds a lot of musical possibilities and now with JF v.4 and geode I’m sure its going to be a wild ride. I also want to say the new output modes are amazing. Having the ability to sequence midi gear and process it through the modular is opening new portals of sound. :sparkles:

1 Like

Sorry for asking a silly question like this but how would you send midi out? I’m assuming through one of the USB ports in the back of Norns? Otherwise there is no midi port on Norns that I’m aware of. Thx

1 Like

Exactly — for instance, on my end, I’m using a usb/din midi cable that plugs into the midi in on my audio interface.

Wow that’s awesome. Thx!

1 Like

No prob! Once connected, your midi device will appear under DEVICES/MIDI in norns’ main system menu with an associated number.

How do you set patchwork to start running using the internal clock (i.e. not clocked by crow)? I tried to use it as a midi sequencer but couldnt get it to start…

1 Like

Patchwork was initially designed as a crow-based sequencer (exclusively), but I’m adding support for internal clocking atm! Hopefully will have an update in the next week.

4 Likes

This is amazing! Most fun session I’ve had in months tonight with this controlling JF and my Hydra synth and Ansible doing other duties in my case. Absolutely wonderful!

3 Likes

Patchwork is so satisfying. I find great pleasure in two independently clocked sequences, stumbling around drunkenly, only to be synced up again by the number “1”.

Thanks!

2 Likes

closing the loop! this session happened! @Olivier, @mattlowery + @encephalitislethargi and i had an early AM meetup, tons of warm energy, we made this *norns walkthrough*: hacking a script to add MIDI output !

Patchwork is such a beautiful, expressive, deep script and it was such a joy to be able to mainline some of its magic with this crew :revolving_hearts:

6 Likes

Noob question here. How do I get the Patchwork sequences to run?

• Crow is connected to JF via i2c (I just updated both Crow and JF successfully today, so that shouldn’t be the issue).
  • Output (A) and (B) is set to jf.vox 1 and 2 respectively (if I set them to Crow 1+2 and 3+4 JF reacts immediately, meaning the i2c connection to JF should be alright).
  • I’m sending triggers/gates from Ansible into Crow’s inputs (have I misunderstood “To drive the sequences, send triggers into crow’s inputs.” ?)

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hey! I’ve found that a loaded script on crow can sometimes cause conflicts with Patchwork (among others). Sounds like you’ve got everything connected as it should be, so I’d try the following to start:

1. In the maiden repl, try sending a crow.clear() command, and then re-loading Patchwork.
  2. If you have another trigger source in your system, try sending it to crow’s input(s)

If you’re still stuck, send me a dm and we’ll take it from there!

1 Like

hey @Olivier have u managed to implement midi clock? Thank you!

1 Like

Got a (relatively) stable release worked out, but got distracted by regular work duties. Will hopefully get back to this soon.

3 Likes

What an amazing script. Finally had time to dig it, and i was only using one of the sequencers with juts friends…just thinking i could usd the other sequencer with midi!
Any thoughts on making compatible with txo?
Congrats on a keeper script!

1 Like

Thanks!! Glad you’re enjoying it :slight_smile: Great call on TXo – I never considered it (and I have no idea how to implement support for it), but I’ll take a :eyes:

3 Likes