Patreon(/Soundcloud) - the politics/power of the middleman

So some alternatives to Patreon:

• Some open source projects have switched to using Libera Pay as a result of these fee increases. That’s a good thing.
  • The creators of Brave Browser the have made Basic Attention Token. It’s basically a way for content publishers to get paid anonymously and automatically by users, while the users get paid for the attention by advertisers. This is definitely really in the experimental stage, but it may actually be a good use blockchain tech (which I’m overall pretty skeptical about). It will be interesting to see where it goes. Here’s an example of how a YouTuber could use this.

I know from talking to Maggie Vail on twitter that https://cashmusic.org/ is actively working on a decentralized method for subscription payments to artists. Knowing the people behind it, I can only hope it will come soon enough, I know they’re having some trouble finding the fundings (VC money being completely out of the question) but I wish them luck and hope they come up with something both easy to use (that’s where Patreon or Drip are so strong, user interface is just dead simple and walks you through it even if you’re not a tech afficionados) and that lets you keep control of your data.

woooooooof, just got caught up on all this reading.

Patreon account gone.

odd (and of fucking course): “disabling” is the only way to cut ties. the language is purposefully murky, as they don’t offer a “delete” option:

When we disable an account we remove your password information and profile image from the database, but if you wish to delete any other information permanently you should change it prior to disabling the account.

Even if an account is disabled, all information may be retained by our analytics providers on their own servers.

:neutral_face:

:expressionless:

The internet big Tech Companies really turned the “small print will fuck you up” concept into an artform of its own (with Facebook being their ultimate DaVinci in that regard)

Yup, real shitty that.

Back when this thread was first made, I deleted my account, but from what I remember you had to just manually unfollow the people you were supporting, then email support and tell them you wanted the account closed.

I never got a confirmation or anything either.

i forgot all about this but remember maggie and other (indeed!) very smart and rad KRS people going to work on it. years ago! super exciting.

i didn’t even realize they were taking money now. least i can do is put my maeshi royalties in… (such as they are) :slight_smile:

Yeah, I’ve been subscribing the minimum pledge for a few months now even though I don’t actually use their tools (yet), it’s really all I can give financially at the moment but I think it’s important to support them, and I hope they come up with an alternative sooner rather than later, because the landscape is kind of sad, away from bandcamp, right now.

Love the discussion here.

I think this twitter thread kinda nails it:

The single biggest piece of advice I have for you: if you have someone’s email address (+ permission) you have an earned relationship. If you have to beg a platform to contact them, the platform owns the relationship. Get the email.

Youtube subscribers, Twitter followers, Facebook fans, and all analogous relationships are not defensible assets in the way that someone expecting mail from you is. They’re dependent on the week-to-week policies and quarter-to-quarter strategic imperatives of the platform.

The platforms offer incredible reach! Incredible! Reach! And the bargain they offer is Faustian. Platforms need their creators to bake the cake; they then propose allocating 60~80%+ to them as an opening bid, do not contractualize that (for smaller creators), and smile.

“What do you mean they do not contractualize that?”

I mean that you have neither a contract nor even an understanding among equals that the terms you currently enjoy are the ones you will have in the future. Businesses sign contracts with vendors important to them.

Do you remember the contract negotiation? No, because doesn’t work at scale but also because You Are Not One Of Their Important Accounts.

Any term you think you’re entitled to is going to be renegotiated by Darth Vader: “I have altered the deal; pray I do not alter it further.”

So back to the question of building your own platform:

1. You want your own place on the Internet; I think that is, for most people, a website.

2. You need, need, need an email list. Software for them is cheap to get started with.

3. Above all things:
    “As an independent creator, I will comport all my conduct on other people’s platforms with the intentional, strategic goal of enticing some portion of the audience to join me on my platform, where the lion’s share of value I produce is, and where I make meaningful money.”

That’s pretty much it, now it would be good for creators to have a place that can generate some sort of access to this “Incredible! Reach!” in a decentralized manner, where you keep the mail, keep your site, keep access to your data and the people supporting you, no matter what happens to the service driving this “Incredible! Reach!” in the future, that’s where people at cashmusic (or eslewhere) have quite a big goal ahead of them.

I remember seeing a post regarding online newspaper funding models and it basically said until we can flip a dollar/pound (or equivalent) into a virtual jar when we read something we like, it will be hard to get any of this low denomination online funding off the ground.

I think only Paypal have the architecture/userbase to make this work… and god forbid we leave it to Facebook.

Cool that there is political discussion on lines! It’s the first I’ve found since I made an account.

Patreon closed a series C funding round of 60 million in September 2017 from Thrive Capital, which was founded by Joshua Kushner, who is Melania Trump’s son. OMG! Full disclosure, I worked for a Thrive Capital funded company for a short time in 2011.

Middlemen never left. Also plz don’t use the SJW acronym to mic drop, because that is a bad look.

We do it with some frequency:

I probably missed some.

This is factually incorrect. Joshua Kushner is Jared Kusher’s brother. Jared is married to Ivanka Trump.

I’m not sure what you’re implying with the “OMG!”… VCs are all run by rich people, and a lot of them have questionable business and political ties. There are lots of problems with the nature of VC investments, how the firms are setup, and where the money comes from.

thank you so much for this! i don’t think as a content creator I need to be so strongly focussed on the “strategic goal of enticing some portion of the audience to join me on my platform”, but certainly find lots of value in cultivating a more direct relationship, in educating about the blocking power of the middlemen. I’m sure by now everyone has wondered at least once about the “people reached” counter on Facebook.

It looks like Patreon is not rolling out the fee changes after the backlash:

For now… with the kind of investment they took its only a matter of time before they have to do something to meet revenue expectations.

That and they’ve shown their true colours a few times now, enough for me not to do business with them.

Oh I definitely agree, I was more just reporting.

Thanks for the tips. I’m setting up a LiberaPay as an alternative to the Patreon account I set up for Norelco Mori.

( FYI my subscription is live now: karlfousek.bandcamp.com/subscribe :slight_smile: )

interested to see how you find this. i set one up last year but got no takers. also slightly bugged by the fact you can’t charge a monthly or annual sub rate. Surely you’d have more people subscribing if they chose how often they paid.